12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 8:27 AM by greginchrist

Apple Script - cell data from query

greginchrist

This works...

cell "Customer_CompanyEntity::CustomerCode" of current record

This does not any ideas why not?

set flexJobNumber to text returned of (display dialog "Please Scan The Job Ticket" default answer "11103103")

cell "Customer_CompanyEntity::CustomerCode" of (every record whose cell "jobNumber" = flexJobNumber)

NOTE: The following is not supper relevent, I just want to try to avoid some advaice that will not pertain

FYI this also give me a number of lists. I use this line in diffent contexts. I use this to bring up the record corisponding to our job number.

every record whose cell "jobNumber" = flexJobNumber

And yes each statment is wrapped in

tell application "FileMaker Pro"

tell database "myDbName"

each code goes here

end tell

end tell

I have also tryed first doing the AppleScript equivilent of command "J" before each line... IE.

try

do menu menu item "Show All Records" of menu "Records"

end try

• 1. Re: Apple Script - cell data from query
          greginchrist

I kept editing that post and forgot to ask the main question...

How do I get call data from FMP with out first bringing a record into focus. I am looking to use something like...

-- Does not work

cell "Customer_CompanyEntity::CustomerCode" of (every record whose cell "jobNumber" = "11120201")

• 2. Re: Apple Script - cell data from query
            sporobolus

on 2012-01-05 15:59 greginchrist wrote

How do I get call data from FMP with out first bringing a record into focus. I am looking to use something like...

set flexJobNumber to text returned of (display dialog "Please Scan The Job Ticket" default answer"11103103")

cell "Customer_CompanyEntity::CustomerCode" of (every record whose cell "jobNumber" =flexJobNumber)

you're on the right track; first of all be sure the front window is on a layout

whose base table is Customer_CompanyEntity (found set shouldn't matter); this

is necessary for the object specifier to work

then leave the table name out of the cell reference, like this:

cell "CustomerCode" *of* (*every* record *whose* cell "jobNumber" = 
            flexJobNumber)

• 3. Re: Apple Script - cell data from query
              greginchrist

Question 1 -

Why am I not able to get the data of a related related table in this instance? Again why does the following work?

cell "Customer_CompanyEntity::CustomerCode" of current record

or what is the difference between 

of current record

and

(every record whose cell "Order::jobNumber" = "12345678") <----- With this query I am only getting one found record

Question 2 -

1. I did not create this database and I do not have a layout for that table, nor the ability to create one. Everything it related through a pretty much one main table accessed by related fields or portals. So selecting a different layout will not work in my case.
              2. Also if I was to make a layout based on that table wouldn't I still have the same problem becase the line would rather have to become...

cell "CustomerCode" of (every record whose cell "Order::jobNumber" =flexJobNumber)

Would I not be creating the same problem only backwards?

By the way, thanks for the quick response yesterday!

• 4. Re: Apple Script - cell data from query
                greginchrist

So I just tried the following, which should be exactly as you told me, but trying to pull data from the main table, just to try what you said. However it does not seem to be working

tell database "Master DB"

cell "Order_ID" of (every record whose cell "jobNumber" = "11122811")

end tell

end tell

It says object not found. I am pulling from the table that is accociated with the layout.

Not working...

• 5. Re: Apple Script - cell data from query
                  greginchrist

Just so people can follow where I am at I got the the following working. I think the solution will just be two phase.

--gets ID of a record from my main table

tell database "Master DB"

cell "Order_ID" of (every record whose cell "jobNumber" = "11122811") of table "Order"

end tell

end tell

I plan to take that returned ID and use it for a second query on the related table.

I'll post back if it works.

• 6. Re: Apple Script - cell data from query
                    sporobolus

on 2012-01-06 07:34 greginchrist wrote

greginchrist https://fmdev.filemaker.com/people/greginchrist created the discussion

To view the discussion, visit: https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/66086#66086

• 7. Re: Apple Script - cell data from query
                      sporobolus

foiled again by the infernal Jive email mangling

on 2012-01-06 07:34 greginchrist wrote

> Question 1 - Why am I not able to get the data of a related related table in

this instance? Again why does the following work?

>

> cell "Customer_CompanyEntity::CustomerCode" of current record

it works because it isn't using the object specifier (the "whose" clause part

of your other version)

there are quirks in FileMaker's object model; as i noted, when referencing

cells i believe you can't use an object specifier except to address a table

that is the base table of the current layout

however see below ...

> Question 2 -

> 1. I did not create this database and I do not have a layout for that table,

nor the ability to create one. Everything it related through a pretty much one

main table accessed by related fields or portals. So I selecting a different

layout will not work in my case.

> 2. Also if I was to make a layout based on that table wouldn't I still have

the same problem becase the line would rather have to become

>

>

>       cell "CustomerCode" of (every record whose cell

"Order::jobNumber" =flexJobNumber)

>

> Would I not be creating the same problem only backwards?

to understand your question, i had to infer from the above an important detail

you hadn't previously mentioned: that jobNumber is in the Order table (whereas

CustomerCode is in Customer_CompanyEntity)

so do i have this right: you have a layout based on Order and

Customer_CompanyEntity is a related table?

if so, you can use the document/layout aspect of FileMaker's object model, as

opposed to the database/table aspect your example code uses; the distinction is

confusing — the former aspect allows you to access what's on the layout in the

current found set, including related values, where the latter accesses fields

in specific tables and (regardless of found set or what's on the layout); if i

understand correctly, and assuming the "Order" layout is the current layout and

the found set is all records, try this:

tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced"
                           tell layout "Order" of front document
                             cell "Customer_CompanyEntity::CustomerCode" of (every record whose cell 
                      "Order::jobNumber" = flexJobNumber)
                           end tell
                         end tell

if you can't control the found set, you'll still have trouble with the above,

your two-step approach may be best

• 8. Re: Apple Script - cell data from query
                        greginchrist

I just tried what you last posted.

steve harley wrote:

tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced"
                             tell layout "Order" of front document
                               cell "Customer_CompanyEntity::CustomerCode" of (every record whose cell 
                        "Order::jobNumber" = flexJobNumber)
                             end tell
                           end tell

if you can't control the found set, you'll still have trouble with the above,

your two-step approach may be best

No luck.

I have been doing some testing and understand what you were saying

steve harley wrote:

you're on the right track; first of all be sure the front window is on a layout

whose base table is Customer_CompanyEntity (found set shouldn't matter); this

is necessary for the object specifier to work

I am almost shocked to think that FileMaker Pro is locked down to a layout. I have used the following and it works when the layout being called is the layout selected in the FMP GUI, but renders a bad result if any other layout is open in the GUI.

tell database "test"

tell table "users"

--name of every field

cell "UserName" of (every record whose cell "id" = "1")

end tell

end tell

end tell

Can you make a query on a table that is not the specified table of the layout currently visible in the FMP GUI?

• 9. Re: Apple Script - cell data from query
                          sporobolus

on 2012-01-06 14:27 greginchrist wrote

I just tried what you last posted.

No luck.

it worked for me using a very simple test case; i'll attach it to a subsequent

comment (since it's impossible to intersperse quotes in the web interface) so

you can perhaps see what is different in your scenario ...

I am almost shocked to think that FileMaker Pro is locked down to it's layout. I have used the following and it works on one layout but renders a bad result if the wrong layout is open in the GUI.

the AppleScript implementation is definitely quirky, but so is almost every

other application's implementation, and many are much, much harder to work with

•     tell* database "test"

•          tell* table "users"

--name of every field

cell "UserName" of (every record whose cell "id" = "1")

•          end* tell

•     end* tell

*end tell

Can you make a query on a table that is not the specified table of the layout currently visible in the FMP GUI?

you can definitely access data in a table which is not in the current layout

(using the database/table aspect of the model); the problem is that some

object-specifier forms do not work, but some do, and i can't tell you why; for

example i suspect that the following subtly different script will work for what

you are trying above, even if the table is not the base of the current layout:

*tell* database "test"
                               cell "UserName" *of* (*every* record *of* table "users" *whose* cell "id" 
                          = "1")
                             *end* *tell*

at least, i am sure that the following similar construct works in the

to-be-attached db, regardless of which layout is active

cell "customerCode" of (records of table "Customer_CompanyEntity" whose cell 
                          "cust_id" is "1")

• 10. Re: Apple Script - cell data from query
                            sporobolus

attaching the above-referenced test case

(btw, note that in the preceding message we see a new species of email-mangling ... in my quote of Greg's code, the special coding for bold and the special coding for bullets have come into conflict in a way that shows Jive's own markup in some cases can't survive a round trip)

• 11. Re: Apple Script - cell data from query
                              greginchrist

Your example works, however it is not working on our existing solution. I will keep trying and post back. Thank you for all your help so far!

• 12. Re: Apple Script - cell data from query
                                greginchrist

Steve Harley provided the solution to my situation. Thank you for your time and effort. The Lord Jesus Christ bless you sincely!