7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 8:11 AM by datarunner

FileMaker Certification Training

datarunner

Hi All,

I'd love to get input from you veteran FM developers and FM certified developers out there. I've been working as an in-house developer for a year (this is just a portion of my job), I had never used FM before I came to my present employer, however I have an IT backgroud and my undergraduate degree is in information systems so I have a pretty solid base. FM was not difficult to learn, however I'm the only resource of my type at my employer and since I'm self-taught on the tool I feel as though there are areas I'm missing and a lot of things I could be much better at. I have a few questions:

1) Do most people go through a formal week-long certification training before taking the certification exam?

2) Do you feel being certified does anything for you?

3) Do you think it's necessary to go through formal training before taking the exam, or is it do-able to study on your own from the training manual and pass?

4) Are there any suggestions for where to take the week-long certification track training?

5) How much is a reasonable fee to pay for this training?

6) I've only been able to find 1 company that does the certification training that guarantees a passing grade on the exam, why can't I find more? Is it just not sought out?

Thanks in advance for your input - any guidance is much appreciated!

Leah

• 1. Re: FileMaker Certification Training
          karendweaver

1.  I don't know - I did not, but many people do.  I think it depends on your learning style.  Do you retain better with an instructor to explain things to you, or do you retain better when you wrestle it to the ground on your own?

2.  Absolutely.  Speaking of which I am behind and need to get a more current certification   It has definitely helped me to identify and work on gaps in my skills, and I ALWAYS learn something new preparing for the exam.

3.  See number one.  Many people study and pass on their own.  Many others need a class.  Did you skip the lecture in college and get a good grade on the exam?  Or did you find time with the instructor asking questions to be vitally important?   Are you a visual, auditory, or hands-on learner?

4.  I don't have any first-hand knowledge - all of the certified instructors are rigorously prepared, and they all start with the same material.  All of them are highly respected companies in the FM world.  Others can tell you about the "flavor" of one instructor vs another.

5.  If you are taking a course from a certified trainer ( and that is what I would do if I were to sign up for a course ), I think you'll find the course fees are very similar.  So - location, location, location.  Will you have to travel?  And where would you want to go??

6.  A marketing strategy??

Hope this helps!

Karen Weaver

karen@desertdogtechnology.com

Desert Dog Technology, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Certification Training
            jormond

Karen makes some very good suggestions / questions.

The FileMaker Training Series is a good start.  Look through all the documentation available in the downloads section at FileMaker.com.  There are also online video libraries ( like Lynda.com or VTC.com )

Here is the training link, especially if you are considering taking classes.  It gives you a long list of very qualified FileMaker trainers, as well as some other info regarding certification and training.

http://www.filemaker.com/support/training/

• 3. Re: FileMaker Certification Training
              BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Leah,

Please see the in-line comments.

On Jan 6, 2012, at 15:07, datarunner asked

created by datarunner in General - View the full discussion

Hi All,

I'd love to get input from you veteran FM developers and FM certified developers out there.  I've been working as an in-house developer for a year (this is just a portion of my job), I had never used FM before I came to my present employer, however I have an IT backgroud and my undergraduate degree is in information systems so I have a pretty solid base.  FM was not difficult to learn, however I'm the only resource of my type at my employer and since I'm self-taught on the tool I feel as though there are areas I'm missing and a lot of things I could be much better at.  I have a few questions:

1) Do most people go through a formal week-long certification training before taking the certification exam?

It's difficult to assess what the numbers are. My impression is quite a few people take it without participating in training courses. I could be wrong.

2) Do you feel being certified does anything for you?

The process of becoming certified definitely has benefits in terms of coming to grips with the material. With respect to your position, there are additional benefits to an in-house developer. It contributes to your comfort level in how you assess your expertise, and it demonstrates to your employer you are dedicated to professional development.

3) Do you think it's necessary to go through formal training before taking the exam, or is it do-able to study on your own from the training manual and pass?

I study on my own. If that hadn't worked out well, I would have taken a course. I recommend developers do the FTS Training Manual and then consider training if they don't pass the test, if only because that method has worked for me. I find it's good to figure things out in your own time; for example, learning on your own to install what you need to to make ESS work gives you confidence in the DSN and OS real world configurations. After having said that, some Authorized Trainers are also experienced and well-respected developers. You may well gain pearls of wisdom in the training you wouldn't have access to otherwise.

4) Are there any suggestions for where to take the week-long certification track training?

It depends on where you are, and who the trainers are. Authorized FileMaker trainers have been through the "Train the Trainers" sessions given by FileMaker. As Josh suggested, look at the alternatives available to you on the FileMaker website.

5) How much is a reasonable fee to pay for this training?

Review the fees charged by a number of FileMaker Authorized trainers.

6) I've only been able to find 1 company that does the certification training that guarantees a passing grade on the exam, why can't I find more?  Is it just not sought out?

I'm not sure how expensive a guarantee like that would be, as it's like an insurance policy - I would have thought you would be paying a premium for the certification insurance.

Thanks in advance for your input - any guidance is much appreciated!

Leah

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

• 4. Re: FileMaker Certification Training
                tech_liaison

Hi Leah: There is some great advice here already, so all I'll add is that the FileMaker Training Series (FTS) is the main study material used by authorized trainers to help you prepare for the exam, and as a new TechNet member, you can take advantage of the limited time introductory offer for this reference. Just check the announcements on the community Overview page.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: FileMaker Certification Training
                  Mike_Mitchell

Leah -

In addition to the FTS, there's an excellent - and, as a bonus, free - resource.

The Help file. And no, I'm not kidding. The Help files are excellent for getting a lot of little details out about various features that you may not use on a regular basis. I have over 20 years in as a developer, and I've had many, "Really? I didn't know it did that!" moments from browsing the Help files.

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: FileMaker Certification Training
                    datarunner

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm going to go ahead and schedule a training and take advantage of the other resources you've all mentioned as well.  Hopefully in the future I can be in here offering some answers instead of always just posting questions!

• 7. Re: FileMaker Certification Training
                      datarunner

Thanks Dave, I have taken advantage of this and it's awesome that they offered it.  I have utilized the manual and this developer site to trudge through my last year trying to figure things out.  I think my next step is to go ahead and take the training to get to the next level.  Thanks so much for your input.