5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 7:01 PM by disabled_JohnWolff

Can FM Go print using the Printer Pro App?

Hi All,

One of my proposed databases which is intended for FMGo on an iPad2 will require some interim output to a printing device -- ideally a thermal receipt printer but at present any of these with a wireless interface are too expensive to be feasible.

I have just downloaded the Printer Pro Lite app and it has delivered a test page to a laser printer connected via USB to my desktop Mac. When I tried to print a record from an FMGo project. the printing failed with a message saying that "The printer was no longer available." I'm not sure if that message pertained to the printer I'd set up with Pront Pro Lite, but the developer's documentation leads me to believe that I would likely need the full version of Printer Pro in order to have printing from another app.

Does anyone have some experience with this or another App that make printing possible from an ordinary laser printer?

Thanks in advance,

John Wolff

Hamilton, NZ

• 1. Re: Can FM Go print using the Printer Pro App?
          MicheleOlson

Hi John,

I don't know if this would work for you, but it should be worth a look.

I downloaded AirPrint Activator from http://netputing.com/ a year or so ago to work with the iPad. It worked exactly as described and made it possible to print to a non-supported printer for the iOS. [well worth the donation to the programmer.]

Best,

Michele

• 2. Re: Can FM Go print using the Printer Pro App?
            BeatriceBeaubien

Hi John,

As Michele said, try Airprint Activator. It works with my iPad and iPhone to my laser printer with hardly any configuration.

All the best,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

On Jan 6, 2012, at 22:38, MicheleOlson replied

created by MicheleOlson in FileMaker Go - View the full discussion

Hi John,

I don't know if this would work for you, but it should be worth a look.

I downloaded AirPrint Activator from http://netputing.com/ a year or so ago to work with the iPad. It worked exactly as described and made it possible to print to a non-supported printer for the iOS.

Best,

Michele

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can FM Go print using the Printer Pro App?

Thank you Michelle & Beatrice,

I downloaded it, did what seemed to be some kind of configuration on my laptop and hey presto it works!

The Airprint Activator obviously makes some very smart connections under the hood -- that is what makes it deceptively simple to install. Now I'll just have to make some specific layouts for printing -- that I can do!!

Cheers from a wet Summer in a not so sunny NZ,

John

• 4. Re: Can FM Go print using the Printer Pro App?
                carlo.m

Did you find some receipt printers that would allow you to print wirelessly but choose the other method because of budget constraints for the given project?

If so, what wireless printers/methods did you find?

Thanks for the help!

• 5. Re: Can FM Go print using the Printer Pro App?

Hi Carlo,

My orientation has now moved away from FM Go for the POS application I was contemplating, thus I've not done any further research for a wireless receipt printer.

There are two reasons. Receipt printers running from the USB interface are so much cheaper and I imagine that they are less prone to a dropped connection. The second reason is that entering some data via a Bluetoooth Barcode Scanner, with other data better entered via a keypad is not yet very user friendly for the iOS platform.

Basically the iOS device seems to only want one keyboard type device active at any one time. Activation of the scanner, then deactivating it for keyboard entry seems a cumbersome way to enter mixed forms of data.

Sorry I can't help any further with your enqiry,

John