1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2012 8:09 AM by johan

Import from another Filemaker file

aalbert

Hi to all of you!

I'm a new user of Filemaker and I have been developing a huge database (more than 100 tables). I have been investigating about all the relationships, creating layouts and programming scripts and I didn't have problems until now.

I have a question for anyone who can help me. I'm sharing copies of my database with other partners from other countries, who use it to enter data. But when I want to import their data from a Filemaker file (like USR,done with "Save a copy as" from script steps), I'm asked for user and password as many times as tables I have in my database. Is there anyway to import all the data in my main database, without entering user and password so many times?

I tried to do exporting as Excel, and I did it, but it's disgusting because anyone can see this information, and we don't want that...

Any suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks in advance!!

• 1. Re: Import from another Filemaker file
          Heine

Hi aalbert!

My suggestion is to put your solution on a server. Then you could have people log in and edit the records that needs to be edited.

That way you won't have to worry about importing, usernames and passwords.

Kind regards

/Heine

• 2. Re: Import from another Filemaker file
            aalbert

Thanks for the answer Heine!!

The problem is that the information can not be hosted on a server due to confidentiality...

Any other solution?

Thanks in advance!

• 3. Re: Import from another Filemaker file
              Heine

Hi again ...

Not to be a pain, but I'm pretty sure there's a way around that issue with the build in security in FileMaker... You could create access groups that will only have access to certain parts of any given record set. I'm pretty sure it would save you TONS of work. It can be  drag to setup, but the benefit is worth it!

This is my opinion

Could you please explain the confidentiality-issue?

/Heine

• 4. Re: Import from another Filemaker file
                aalbert

I'm not sure that I can explain the security issue...but we don't have permission from the information owner to upload it to a server.

Anyway, I don't know if I explained my problem clearly. We also have groups and each user is part of a group.

So, imagine that I am the administrator of the database, and i have a partner who works with a copy of my database(because I can't share it). If he sends me a copy of his USR file (a backup of the database) and I want to import it to my database, I have to enter my user and password each time that I import data to different tables during the same process, everytime that Filemaker gets information from the sent file.

Is there anyway to automatically enter user and password?Or to enter it only once?

Thanks for all!

• 5. Re: Import from another Filemaker file
                  dickiedyce

I suspect you mean you want to share data by exporting from one single user solution, send a file via email, and then reimport to another user solution.

Without using plugins, two ideas spring to mind :

1 - create a clone database, import the data into the clone (rather than exporting to a filemaker file), then send the clone. At the other end, when you write the import script, put an open file script step in first to open the clone file first (entering the password once), and then run the imports.

2 - If you don't have container data to worry about: Use a script to assemble the data into a global text field (as say CSV or Tab-delimited data). Export the data as a text file, and then use a system call (AppleScript,SendEvent etc.) and an eternal util to encrypt the data. This last step might be tricky cross-platform (trivial on a Mac, but a little fiddlier on a PC), but probably will mean smaller files. At the other end, write a script that decrypts the file with a system call, imports the file into a global field, and then runs through the data, populating the tables as necessary.

One thing to check for if you're doing this sort of thing - clashing id numbers. It's best to use some sort of custom hash function (google for Filemaker Custom function UUID ) to create unique ids in this case rather than relying on FileMakers serial number approach.

BTW - I note that you're talking about a .USR file... sounds like you're going against the spirit of the Runtime solution engine a little.

• 6. Re: Import from another Filemaker file
                    aalbert

Hi dickidyce!!

-Sorry about the USR file...I'm new using Filemaker, but I was talking about creating a clone file as you explain, using the script step "Save a copy as".

I'm trying to do it as you explained first, and seems it works, but I still have not finished the script.

Thank you very much for your help!!

• 7. Re: Import from another Filemaker file
                      AlanStirling

Hi A. Albert

These may be suggestions that would work for you, but 'the horse may have already bolted'!

1)   Since you are sending out copies of your master database, why not put your own user name and password (always the same combination) in every database that you distribute, as well as the user name and password for the prospective user.  All passwords are encoded and hidden in the database and are not extractable.

When you get your database back, all the files will open with your own user name and password, which you will not have to enter at all, if the details match the current logon that you are using for the master file.

2)   If you are still worried about sending out databases with embedded passwords, then add a script to each file that you send out, which can set up a user name and password passed to it as a script parameter. Use this routine when you get the files back to add your own current user name and password to each file, using a master script linked to each file - then they will all open for you without needing a password.

3)   Finally, enter all the account names and passwords of your users into your master database (It's quite safe, it's not shared!).  Then when you get a set of files from one of your colleagues, just log into your master database using their credentials. Now all your imports on those files will now work without requiring a password.

I hope one of these suggestions will give you food for thought!

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK

• 8. Re: Import from another Filemaker file
                        comment

Opening the source file first will work - but importing from an open file will import only the found set/s.

If that's a problem, try adding the source file as an external data source to your file (File > Manage > External Data Sources…). Then place at least one of the source tables on the relationship graph of your target file. Naturally, you'll need to place the source file in a permanent location before importing.

• 9. Re: Import from another Filemaker file
                          comment

AlanStirling wrote:

When you get your database back, all the files will open with your own user name and password, which you will not have to enter at all, if the details match the current logon that you are using for the master file.

That's not entirely correct. If there's no connection between the files, Filemaker will ask for your credentials - even if they match the current ones.

• 10. Re: Import from another Filemaker file
                            dickiedyce

:-) you're most welcome.

• 11. Re: Import from another Filemaker file
                              dickiedyce

Good point - but if the source file is actually a clone with the correct records imported, then the found set should be right. (Not the italics ;-) )

• 12. Re: Import from another Filemaker file
                                comment

dickiedyce wrote:

Good point - but if the source file is actually a clone with the correct records imported, then the found set should be right. (Not the italics ;-) )

IIUC, the partners get an empty file, fill it with data and send it back. They may have left the file in a state that shows all records in all 100+ tables - and they may have not.

• 13. Re: Import from another Filemaker file
                                  dickiedyce

Yeeees, but the (ass out of u and me) assumption was the the main file would execute a script to create the clone, then call the script in the clone to run the import from the clone end. It should be fairly trivial to ensure that the initial script did the correct set of finds in the main file before calling the import script in the cloned file. Or is that as clear as mud?

• 14. Re: Import from another Filemaker file
                                    comment

dickiedyce wrote:

Or is that as clear as mud?

I am afraid so... I believe this starts out with two files: the Source.USR file that was sent to us by one of our partners, and the Target.fp7 file that we keep here. The goal is to import the data from Source.USR to Target.fp7. I'm not quite sure how putting a clone in the middle can help with that.

1 2 Previous Next