9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 7:29 AM by rabo

FM Go accesing FM11 Prod Database remote

rabo

Hy together,

I would like to acces FM11 Pro Database also from IPad and IPhone - at least at home through WiFi, when not to complicated also on the road.

I use MacBookPro and just bought the TimeCapsule - with intention to realise described scenarion with it - eventhough i had and i still have no idea how.

When i oppened the .fp7 file located on the MacBook and i typed the ip adress + the file name in the FM Go i could acces remote the file at the sime time - but is it possible to do it in a way that file would be one the TimeCapsule harddrive and accesable?

Best Reguards,

Borut

• 1. Re: FM Go accesing FM11 Prod Database remote
          cgabby

If you want to access a FileMaker file from two different locations, the best way is to use FileMaker Server. If you do not have FileMaker Server there are several companies that will host a FileMaker solution (file) for you for about $20 a month.

Another way would be to have it open on your home computer with FileMaker Pro and have FileMaker Sharing turned on for the file, from the sound of your question you already have that set up correctly. In order to access that file from off site (not on your network) you would need to open port 5003 in you firewall and have it point to the computer with the file open (the file would have to remain open).

The option you are asking about, I’m not familiar with TimeCapsule but it sould like a “cloud drive” or a place online where you can store your file. This option for accessing the file from two locations I would not recommend, it would require you to download the file to the device you want to open it with then copy it back up when you are done. Problem with that is if you forget to copy it back up or open an old copy you will have two different versions for you file.

If TimeCapsule is more like a network drive that you can open files up with without coping them to your device that would not be recommended either. If for some reason while you are connected to your file and you lose your connection you risk, losing the data you were entering and damaging the file.

Hope this helps.

Chris Gabbert

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FM Go accesing FM11 Prod Database remote
            techt

Unfortunately, what you're trying to do won't work. TimeCapsule is a wireless router and TimeMachine backup device. It's not designed to share files. You can use a hosting service as mentioned above. You could set up another computer at home as a server, but the costs to do so might not be reasonable depending on your budget and ISP speeds. You could pick up a FMP Developer Subscription which would include a three-user license of server for testing and you could see if a "at home" server would work for your needs.

HTH,

TT

• 3. Re: FM Go accesing FM11 Prod Database remote
              sml49

If you can pick up a used Mac Mini and set it up to be used "headless" - ie: no monitor or keyboard, just remote control via VNC screen sharing - it will make an excellent server at moderate cost with low power consumption that takes up nearly no space. ISP upload speed is not much of an issue - FileMaker Go works quite well over 3G with rather large database solutions and it's hard to imagine an ISP whose upload speed is slower than 3G speed. I've hosted a number of solutions involving about 25 separate files, some of multi-gigabyte size with 9 million plus records running under FM Pro 10 (peer to peer using the workstation version)  on a G4/500 stock PowerMac Cube of 2001 vintage and found the responsiveness quite satisfactory - in fact, downright zippy. One of those tables includes a container field in which my client stores rather sizable PDFs. Clients are both iOS devices and a variety of Macs and PCs. No need for top-end hardware to do this.

Good luck - give it a try.

Seth Lewin

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: FM Go accesing FM11 Prod Database remote
                rabo

Thanks to all of you!

Seth, there are some more questions coming up when I read your answer:

• If i got it right then the .fp7 file has to run (be open) all the time on the Mac Mini?
                • What is: G3? VNC screen? … yes I know, I am not so fit with the hardware and stuff

Chris, how do i copy a .fp7 file to IPad and than back to the MacBook? - i haven't tried it yet ...

Best Reguards,

Borut Miklosic

• 5. Re: FM Go accesing FM11 Prod Database remote
                  cgabby

an easy way to copy the file to the ipad is to connect the Ipad to your computer, open itunes, go to the Apps tab, select the application FileMaker Go and click the Add button. You will be asked to select the file you want to add.

Chris Gabbert

• 6. Re: FM Go accesing FM11 Prod Database remote
                    sml49

Yes, the files must be open on the hosting Mac the Mini in this instance.

ŒG3¹ refers to one of the incarnations of the PowerPC processor which Apple

no longer makes and which the Mac OS no longer supports after version

10.4.11.  The old candy-colored iMacs had G3 processors.

VNC is a screen sharing protocol which is built into OS X 10.5 and later;

it¹s configured thru the ³Sharing² system preferences pane and allows

another device running VNC (ie: another Mac, an iPad, an iPhone or anything

else) to control the machine remotely.  Works very well.

If you have FileMaker Go on the iPad you can move files to and from it using

iTunes it happens during sync; under the ³Apps² tab any apps that support

file transfers for their use will appear at bottom.

<https://fmdev.filemaker.com/index.jspa>

created by rabo <https://fmdev.filemaker.com/people/rabo>  in FileMaker Go -

View the full discussion <https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/66521#66521>

Thanks to all of you!   Seth, there are some more questions coming up when

I read your answer:

• If i got it right then the .fp7 file has to run (be open) all the time on

the Mac Mini?

• What is: G3? VNC screen? Š yes I know, I am not so fit with the hardware and

stuff Š

Chris, how do i copy a .fp7 file to IPad and than back to the MacBook? - i

haven't tried it yet ...   Best Reguards,  Borut Miklosic

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on

FileMaker Technical Network <https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/66521#66521>

Start a new discussion in FileMaker Go by email

<mailto:discussions-community-discuss-filemaker_go@fmdev.filemaker.com>  or at

FileMaker Technical Network

<https://fmdev.filemaker.com/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&contain

erType=14&container=2026>

Manage your email preferences

<https://fmdev.filemaker.com/index.jspa/user-notification-preferences!input.js

pa> . FileMaker Developer Conference 2012 € Miami, Florida € July 16-19 €

www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 7. Re: FM Go accesing FM11 Prod Database remote
                      sml49

Ooops - just noticed something - you asked about G3 and I responded accurately however I think you meant to ask what "3G" is.  3G is a cellular data protocol (ie: for iPhone or iPad) which is moderately fast but still is slower than any ISP connection that I've ever heard of existing in this day and age. My point is that FileMaker works well over 3G so it will work in really fine form over a wired connection or over WiFi.

Seth

• 8. Re: FM Go accesing FM11 Prod Database remote
                        rabo

Sorry i am responding so late,

Thank you, now it's all clear.

Best Reguards,

Borut

• 9. Re: FM Go accesing FM11 Prod Database remote
                          rabo

Thanks Chris

Best reguards,

Borut