3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 10:57 AM by rgordon

PDF in FM Go and Windows

pademo57

Hi There,

I'm fairly new to FM so if this has been asked before my apologies. My company has documents in PDF format that are renewed every 60 days. They are stored on Windows. I want to import them into FM Go on the iPad and use them as a reference for the user.

For some reason when I try to open the PDF in FM on Windows it works differently then when I try to open in FM Go on the iPad. So my question is can I write a procedure which will detect whether I am using the FM Go on the iPad or whether I am using FM on Windows to open the PDF.

I have been using a container field but I noticed someone else suggested using a picture. Which would be better?

Thanks

• 1. Re: PDF in FM Go and Windows
          alas

Yes.  You can use the Get ( SystemPlatform) to determine if you are using one type of system or another.

http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/func_ref2.32.72.html

or the Get (SystemVersion)

http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/func_ref2.32.73.html#1031534

Get (SystemPlatform) will show 3 if you are on mobile platform.

You can also use Get ( ApplicationVersion  ) if you want to determine if iPad versus iPod/iPhone.

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/filemaker-go/fmgo_development.pdf

You can put this into a script.  Where/how you use it will depend on your system design.  For example, you can run it at open to select one layout or another.  Or you could use it with a button to execute different commands depending on whether it is one system or another (if statement).  Etc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PDF in FM Go and Windows
            rbairstow

Hi,

You can use Get(ApplicationVersion) to determine the Filemaker version

Windows "Pro 11.0v1"

iPhone and iPod Touch “Go x.x.x” (where x.x.x is the current version)

iPad “Go_iPad x.x.x (where x.x.x is the current version)

Using a picture in a container field IOS will be able to show the picture, with a pdf in a container field the user would have to click on the icon and then open.

Hope this helps

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PDF in FM Go and Windows
              rgordon

If you want to view the PDF in FileMaker Go use a web viewer.  Set the webviewer to show $$Path.  Then run this script:

Go to Field [container field]

Set Variable [$$Path; Value: Get ( TemporaryPath ) & Get (ActiveFieldContents) ]

Export Field Contents [ container field]

Replace "container field" with the name of the field that will be storing the PDF.  This script will copy the PDF to the FileMaker Go temp folder which will allow it to be viewed in the web viewer.