9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2012 11:32 AM by patricia

Why does my database fill the entire screen?

fmchris

Hi

I'm currently using FMP10 on a new Core i5 iMac - I had this same issue on a G5 iMac too.

Most of my databases open in the same window size and position they were last closed in. But I have two databases which I normally wish to have open together so that i can migrate records from one to the other - but they both open to fill the entire screen of my Mac. I resize them, and close them resized, but it makes no difference - next time I open them they go full screen again. (Both databases were cloned from one original, which is why they both have this behaviour).

I had a look in Preferences, but these are now all application specific only. How can I get these databases to open with the window size and position they were closed in?

• 1. Re: Why does my database fill the entire screen?
          tweller860

fmchris,

When I've encountered this problem, it's usually the result of the command "Adjust Window" being part of the script set to exectute when the file opens.  One of the options for this commnd is "Maximize" which would certainly set it to fill your screen.  You can edit the opening script and remove this command or replace it with the "Move/Resize Window" command, which allows you to specify both the width and height of the window to exactly the size you want.

I hope this helps.

Best reagrds,

TW

• 2. Re: Why does my database fill the entire screen?
            fmchris

There's no script set to execute when the file opens. Also, I resized the window and then ran each script - none of them altered the size or position of the window.

But perhaps I should create an opening script with "Move/Resize Window" until I find out what's wrong?

• 3. Re: Why does my database fill the entire screen?
              psijmons

Is there a closing script active that would maximize the window? In that case it will open also with a max window.

• 4. Re: Why does my database fill the entire screen?
                patricia

This may or may not apply in your situation but a database.

FileMaker Pro only retains the window state for locally opened files. It does not retain the window state when a shared file opened by a client is closed

By using the script step that was recommended Adjust Window, you can over ride this behavior.

patricia

• 5. Re: Why does my database fill the entire screen?
                  fmchris

My scripts are all set to manually run as and when I select them from the Script menu. I have no open/close scripts, and no script that does anything to the window (none of my FMP scripts do).

And all my files are local - I only run FMP for my own personal use (since 1994!)

I will have to write an open script that overrides this strange behaviour - yes.

I think this was the first FMP database I ever set up? Back in '94 in FMP2. None of my others behave this way.

• 6. Re: Why does my database fill the entire screen?
                    s

If you have Advanced, turn on the debugger before you open the file and see if any scripts run. Perhaps there's a script trigger on the layout.

--

Steve Moore

Cumberland, Maine

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Why does my database fill the entire screen?
                      fmchris

No, I don't have Advanced. Is there any way of checking from the Scripts or Manage menus that will tell me?

• 8. Re: Why does my database fill the entire screen?
                        fmchris

Success! I managed to track down the problem with help from people here.

Basically I hadn't realised that Document Preferences in FMP6 had become File Options in FMP10. (How I wish there was a resource where you could enter two versions of FMP and see what's changed between the two!)

Anyway, File Options showed there was a script (Open Script) run at opening. This contained the Maximise Window step, and I've now turned this script off. Strangely I can't ever remember creating it, as I don't use open or closing scripts on my database applications.

Anyway, thanks to everyone whose prompts showed me where to look. (This forum seems to be a clone of the Apple Support forums, in which case I assume I have only two "Helpful" stars to hand out - apologies to everyone else.)

• 9. Re: Why does my database fill the entire screen?
                          patricia

As I see you have been upgrading this database over many versions. It is amazing and kudo to FileMaker that the file is still running.I am delighted you found problem.

I don't know a program that shows you what you are looking for but Windred has a program called FMDiff which shoulds you changes between different versions of files and is execellent.

Don't apologize for the ratings we are here to help.

patricia