7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2012 9:42 PM by jormond

OmniFocus

jormond

I had a request from an acquantence to be able to send data to/from OmniFocus from FileMaker. I have not used OmniFocus at all...any suggestions / ideas about how it could be done.

• 1. Re: OmniFocus
          sporobolus

on 2012-01-11 22:03 Joshua Ormond wrote

I had a request from an acquantence to be able to send data to/from OmniFocus from FileMaker.  I have not used OmniFocus at all...any suggestions / ideas about how it could be done.

i would use AppleScript; OmniFocus has a pretty robust AppleScript implementation

• 2. Re: OmniFocus
            jormond

Guess I'm going to have to unpack my iMac and dig through some more Apple Script...lol  Thanks Steve.

• 3. Re: OmniFocus
              johnendahl

Omnifocus can also accept messages via email, IF the client uses OS X Mail...from Omnifocus help:

When it’s not convenient for you to put data directly into OmniFocus (like when you’re sitting at a someone else’s computer), you can send a specially-formatted email to yourself and OmniFocus will process it later. To set it up, use the OmniFocus Mail preference pane.

To turn on Mail processing, select the Add Mail Rule to create OmniFocus actions checkbox.

Once the Mail Rule has been added, you can tell OmniFocus what kind of messages to look for. One way is to look for messages that have +omnifocus before the @ sign in the destination address, as in cornelius+omnifocus@omnigroup.com. If your mail service is properly set up for this type of addressing, the message arrives in the correct mailbox as if the plus sign and the extra word were not there, but they act as a label for special handling. The other way is to look for messages whose subject line begins with certain characters, -- by default.

Hope that helps.

--> John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: OmniFocus
                sporobolus

on 2012-01-12 06:26 Joshua Ormond wrote

Joshua Ormond https://fmdev.filemaker.com/people/jormond created the discussion

To view the discussion, visit: https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/66566#66566

• 5. Re: OmniFocus
                  jormond

Must have lost your actual response Steve.  Just seeing a quoted message.

• 6. Re: OmniFocus
                    sporobolus

on 2012-01-12 22:26 Joshua Ormond wrote

Must have lost your actual response Steve.  Just seeing a quoted message.

(yeah, that's what the site does if you don't waste your time editing out the

useless stuff at the top of every email; i keep forgetting to do it because i

do a lot of normal email in addition to participating in this forum)

what i wrote was: if you can present an example of what you'd like to do i

could probably give you a starting point

• 7. Re: OmniFocus
                      jormond

Thanks Steve.  I may take you up on it.  I'll spend a few days looking at it...if I don't feel confident about it, I'll post back. Appreciate the assist.