4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2012 4:15 AM by comment

International use - country / language settings

rmartens

I work for an international insurance company and FileMaker so far has only been used by our Canadian offices (it is used there for reporting, to issue quotes, broker statements, as a marketing database etc.). As the Canadian solution is really successfull and time-saving I was asked to start to set up something similar for our European market. The respective file was created by my Canadian colleagues and myself in the Toronto office. When I open it in Germany, the keyboard set-up is Canadian, e.g. no German special characters can be entered. Would somebody be able to tell me whether this set-up is connected to the file or whether the local country setting can somehow be amended so that the German users (and at a later stage the French, Italian, Spanish) will be able to use the same file with their respective country settings?

Does someone of you have experience with the international usage of FileMaker? If we decide to introduce FileMaker in Europe, this would affect 11 offices in 9 countries. The Canadian colleagues and I have already put some calculations / scripts / tables into place that should be able to deal with the different currencies, languages, date and number formats but so far we were only able to test them in Canada and we have no idea whether the country settings will have an impact and what we need to bear in mind when we continue developing.

I appreciate your feedback.

• 1. Re: International use - country / language settings
          RayCologon

Hi rmartens,

If you choose the File Options command from the FIle menu, then (in the resulting dialog) navigate to the "Text" pane, you'll see controls at the bottom under the Data Entry heading that allow you to specify the behavior that should apply when the original file regional settings differ from those of an operating system you open it on.

Adjusting those settings may assist you to solve your problem. However if you want a more complete solution, you may need to create a separate copy of the file that has appropriate settings for each region it will be used in. To do this, you simply need to save a clone of the file on a computer configured for the relevant region, then when you populate the clone with data you will find that it defaults to the regional settings for the computer it was created (cloned) on.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 2. Re: International use - country / language settings
            comment

Ray Cologon wrote:

when you populate the clone with data you will find that it defaults to the regional settings for the computer it was created (cloned) on.

Hi Ray,

a small, but perhaps important nitpick: a clone will inherit the settings of the OS it was first opened on.

However, I am puzzled by the "keyboard set-up" part. AFAIK, the locale settings may affect date, time, currency, etc. - but I don't think they should prevent user entering umlauts and such.

• 3. Re: International use - country / language settings
              RayCologon

comment wrote:

However, I am puzzled by the "keyboard set-up" part. AFAIK, the locale settings may affect date, time, currency, etc. - but I don't think they should prevent user entering umlauts and such.

Hi Michael,

I've seen examples of the keyboard layout being determined as a default alongside region settings at the OS level, and that flowing on to FileMaker's keyboard response.

It's my assumption that what's at issue is that while there may be no problem entering 'umlauts and such', they would have to be entered using a Canadian keyboard layout (and therefore using different keystrokes/combinations than would be expected on a German-configured computer) until the regional settings are recognised and the file receives input according to conventional German keyboard layout.

I can see why you read rmartens' comment as indicating that input of special characters is *prevented*, but it's more likely just a keyboard layout reassignment issue IMO.

Cheers,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 4. Re: International use - country / language settings
                comment

Ray Cologon wrote:

I can see why you read rmartens' comment as indicating that input of special characters is *prevented*, but it's more likely just a keyboard layout reassignment issue IMO.

No, I read it the same way you did - it's just that I never ran into such issue myself. Thanks for sharing your own experience.