1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 9:28 AM by Stephen Huston

Discussion Message Font Size

dchabot

Does anyone agree that the size of the font in messages is extremly taxing on the eyes?

Is there a way to set default size when posting online?

On the subject of size, is there a way to make Manage Scripts larger? I've been using FM a long time and this always bugged me, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Deb C.

PS I've set this message size at 14.

• 1. Re: Discussion Message Font Size
          RayCologon

dchabot wrote:

Does anyone agree that the size of the font in messages is extremly taxing on the eyes?

Is there a way to set default size when posting online?

On the subject of size, is there a way to make Manage Scripts larger? I've been using FM a long time and this always bugged me, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Deb C.

PS I've set this message size at 14.

Hi Deb,

How large the message font appears seems to be (at least partly) a function of the browser and browser settings on the computer you use to view the forum.

I find that in Safari, the font is a bit on the small side, but in both Explorer and Firefox it's quite a bit larger. However even in Safari, if I set the "Standard font" size in preferences (in the "appearance" pane) to a larger size, it becomes readable there also.

On the other hand, your message with the text at size 14 is somewhat hard to read on my screen because the lines are overlapping. So adjusting your browser settings might be a better solution than specifying larger font sizes in your messages.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 2. Re: Discussion Message Font Size
            MicheleOlson

Or you can always type Command + on the Mac to increase the font size in a browser window. I believe there is a similar command with Windows Explorer.

HTH,

Michele

• 3. Re: Discussion Message Font Size
              beverly

But the messages at 14pt are easier to read in Mail (mac, snow leopard & iOS)!

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 4. Re: Discussion Message Font Size
                beverly

And maybe its the background color that makes it harder to read? Definitely not passed through an accessibility test.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 5. Re: Discussion Message Font Size
                  fmchris

In the General Preferences pane there is a "Reset dialog sizes and positions", but I'm assuming that refers to windows not fonts.

The other option is to switch on Zoom in the Universal Access pane of SysPrefs. Command/Option/= zooms in, while Command/Option/- zooms out. This might help with Manage Scripts.

• 6. Re: Discussion Message Font Size
                    jormond

Depending on the monitor I'm using...I have a shortcut key to toggle the OS level magnifier ( I'm on Windows ).  Since I only have a hard time seeing certain things on this particular monitor, primarily because I'm sitting too far away from it.

• 7. Re: Discussion Message Font Size
                      dchabot

Hi Ray,

The small font is throughout all my applications. Online, in my Mail app.

Yes I can zoom in browsers and on each mail received, but it gets tedious especially in Mail!

I did notice the 14 pt lines overlapped, and I could have spaced it better, but at least

I didn't have to 'squint'.

• 8. Re: Discussion Message Font Size
                        relliot

It is not the browser or your OS... it's the CSS for this forum software... they are using a web font and do not have character spacing adjusted properly. It will continue to be a problem until they revert back to normal font families: Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif.  Your text would then be crystal clear just like in your WYSIWIG editor box. Rule: You NEVER use web fonts on a forum...

• 9. Re: Discussion Message Font Size
                          sporobolus

on 2012-01-12 06:57 dchabot wrote

The small font is throughout all my applications. Online, in my Mail app.

Yes I can zoom in browsers and on each mail received, but it gets tedious especially in Mail!

i think there are multiple sources for the problem you describe

email:

HTML email from this forum is formatted as "12px Arial, Helvetica", and there's

no way to globally change that in Mail; it would be a nice gesture if FMI would

edit the template for the HTML email to remove the specific font size, then it

would use the default you can set in your email app's preferences; this is one

of several usability problems with the email from this forum; personally i view

the messages as plain text, so i get to choose the font and size

browser:

i use default settings in Chrome and the forum content is very comfortable to

me (it seems to be using 13pt Lucida Grande, not a "web font"); in Safari,

where i have set a minimum font size of 11, it is a little smaller, but still

comfortable; you'll find this Safari setting under Preferences > Advanced >

Universal Access (it works for most, but not all sites); if i disable the

minimum font size, the forum content does seem a little small in Safari

general:

your view of fonts in your other applications suggests that the pixel spacing

on your display is too fine for your eyesight; ten years ago when my vision was

"perfect" i was a big advocate for the then-new fine pixel pitch displays, but

now that presbyopia has set in i am far more sympathetic to those who dislike

small type; however with reading glasses almost every display i use is

comfortable (the exception being some non-"mobile" websites on my iPhone)

• 10. Re: Discussion Message Font Size
                            relliot

Well beat me with a wet noodle! Like I said it's a 10 sec css fix: font family... that's all. Thanks for the indepth response. Lucida Grande is not a common system font... neither is helvetica neue... they remove them from theme.css and it will be perfect on evrery browser windows or mac.

{ color: #333; background: url(../images/bg_header.png) repeat-x 0 0; font: normal .8em/140% "Lucida Grande", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; }

• 11. Re: Discussion Message Font Size
                              sporobolus

on 2012-01-12 12:51 relliot wrote

Lucida Grande is not a common system font... neither is helvetica neue...

they remove them from theme.css and it will be perfect on evrery browser

windows or mac.

the browser will try them in order, so Arial will be used on most Windows

browsers — no need to remove anything

Lucida Grande & Helvetica Neue are system fonts on Macs; it's the font size

which is the issue, though

• 12. Re: Discussion Message Font Size
                                jormond

While I don't think it's the problem...they may not be able to edit the CSS.  Some of these systems have not coded well to open up customized displays.  Not that I think Jive would have done that, but a possibility, I suppose.

• 13. Re: Discussion Message Font Size
                                  RossHurley

Yep, and that's what I do to manage the font size now that it's too small for my ageing eyes. My daily process is simple:

Open Safari > Click the first item in my Bookmarks list (Developer Forum) > hit Cmd-+ twice......then read all the recent messages without ever having to enlarge anything again that session.

(Incidentally, following Ray's post, my Safari preference is set to Tahoma 14pt, but the Forum message default text is still too small for me. I've never known exactly what this preference setting did.)

Ross

• 14. Re: Discussion Message Font Size
                                    dchabot

Hi Steve,

LOL, I meant the font size only in dealing this forum.

I too have enlarged fonts where ever I can. However, I don't prefer plain text

email, and using Apple Mail I can't find a rule to make text larger, but I did check!

Do you know how to make FM Manage Scripts larger?

1 2 Previous Next