1 of 1 people found this helpful
This extract from the training series answers some of your questions:
Be sure when defining custom web addresses that your URL begins with the correct scheme, such as http://, https://, or ftp://. If you omit the scheme, the operating system’s web browser might use one that you did not intend.
FileMaker Pro automatically encodes URLs before loading the web viewer, but the encoding rules fix only the most common problems. You will need to manually address any encoding issues not handled by FileMaker Pro. For example, FileMaker Pro encodes spaces with their hexadecimal equivalent (%20), but it does not encode characters such as forward slashes, dollar signs, or tildes.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Further to Julyan's comments, FileMaker simply uses the installed web capabilities (eg 'WebKit') available on the system where it is running - in the same way that most browsers do, in fact. If you upgrade the OS version or install a newer browser, FileMaker will make use of the updated web resources without you having to do anything further.
In the scenario you've described, either the web resources at the OS level need to be updated to match the requirements of the SQL system, or else (possibly) the SQL system is performing an invalid test for the UserAgent string from the connected client, and rejecting a valid version of client web technology.
If the first is the case, you should be able to solve the problem by installing a later OS version and/or a newer browser. Otherwise, I suspect it is a bug in the upgraded SQL system, and will need to be fixed there.
R J Cologon, Ph.D.
FileMaker Certified Developer
Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible
NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia
Attached is a file I have used in the past. Ray and Julyan are correct that FM should be using whatever browser is installed on your OS. Wierdly though, I have run into issues where there were remnants of an older version of IE, or firefox floating around that got in the way. The file contains a single layout with a web viewer that looks at tells exactly what browser version is being used, along with some other info, like the platform, and some basic headers.
Hope it helps track down your issue.
BrowserDetect.fp7.zip 5.8 K
Thanks again to all!
ScreenCap.pdf 107.3 K
You might want to try using an online browser-detection tool in your Web Viewer, like:
: database design
: web development
Thanks again to all who have contributed. I have a little update of my own. I have updated the Java on the machine to the latest version - this had no effect. I tried the online browser detection tool that Joel mentioned above and got the same results when done through the web viewer. I also checked it through my browsers directly. When done that way, I got an accurate read, both browsers (IE and Firefox) registered as the version that they actually are.
Now I did a little digging and the interesting thing is that regarding that string of info that comes up in the Browser Detection methods (both of them):
Browser Version: 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MDDS; .NET4.0C; Tablet PC 2.0; InfoPath.2; BRI/2; MS-RTC LM 8)
The Trident/5.0 part refers to IE9. So in all instances the system knows that it is IE 9 being used, but it is treating it like IE7 for some reason. I have gone through all the IE settings and Internet Options control panel to make sure that any backwards compatibility options are off.
The bad news is, after all that, you guessed it - the problem still persists. Which leads me to believe there is something in Filemaker that is causing the issue. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if they get a result other than IE7 using either of the browser detection methods when done through a web viewer. I am thinking that no one will, which means there is something in FMP that is "restricting" browser content to rendering under the IE7 "standards."
Again, many thanks to all. I appreciate any insight that anyone can offer.
I wonder if FileMaker is somehow thinking compatibility mode is turned on? That might make it think the browser is IE7. Just a thought.
My thoughts exactly, Mike!
Well, it might be worth checking to see if the "Display all websites in Compatibility View" checkbox is checked (it's under the Tools menu, Compatibility View Settings in IE). Might be enough to throw FM for a loop.
Compatibility.pdf 65.6 K
Well that's the kicker - as I mentioned above - I double checked all that in IE and it is all off. So I am thinking it is something in Filemaker that is overriding the default IE settings, but I can't confirm that and have no idea why it would do that. Every piece of literature I can find says that FMP uses the operating systems default web browser to render web viewer content, but I am starting to doubt that somewhat. If it is using the default browser then it is monkeying with the settings in some way behind the scenes to render pages in compatibility mode even if compatibility mode is off in the OS's default browser of IE.