2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 7:22 AM by RayCologon

Duplicating layout

bharanirai

Hi thr,

Can any one say how to duplicate layout using scripts. Because i have created a layout for admin to create account using that layout but i dont know how to duplicate layout while creating user at the same time.I want to duplicate layout while creating user.

• 1. Re: Duplicating layout
          BruceHerbach

HI,

There is no duplicate layout script command.  If you want to customize the look of a layout based on the user,  you can use a combination of global fields and global variables on the layout and have the values of these populated by a script.  Everyone uses the same layout,  but everyone sees the information just for them.

If your new to FileMaker,  you may want to take a look at the training series,  or any of the book out there on FileMaker 10 and FileMaker 11.

Bruce Herbach

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Duplicating layout
            RayCologon

bharanirai wrote:

Hi thr,

Can any one say how to duplicate layout using scripts. Because i have created a layout for admin to create account using that layout but i dont know how to duplicate layout while creating user at the same time.I want to duplicate layout while creating user.

Hi bharanirai,

As Bruce has pointed out, there is no provision for duplicating a layout by script. Nor is it possible to make changes ove any kind to layouts via script (in fact, scripts don't work in Layout mode).

However, I've yet to encounter a situation where duplicating a layout when a user account is created would be a good thing to do. The duplicate layout would be identical to the one it was duplicated from, and you would end up with a lot of copies of a layout that would all look and behave exactly the same. There's no benefit I'm aware of from having multiple identical layouts - and several potential disadvantages.

That said, it would be helpful if you clarified what it is you're trying to achieve - what purpose is to be served - and someone here may then be able to suggest a way forward for you.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

1 of 1 people found this helpful