2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2012 5:39 AM by Vaughan

Database on Network Drive - Advice Requested

twalstead

I have a database that is accessed by four users and requires backing up, so I've put the file on a shared server volume. Because we aren't all here at the same time, having the file on my hard drive and serving as Host and then having them opening it using Open Remote isn't an option. Also, the database references files stored on several different network volumes. We do not have FileMaker Server, but I'm wondering if we need to get it. When one of my limited access users opens the file and then I open it as a Full Access administrator, I am unable to create new records, delete records, access Layout Mode or Value Lists. Even my limited access users can create new records!

Is this problem due to the file's being opened from a shared network drive or could it be something else? I've never seen this problem before.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Database on Network Drive - Advice Requested
          macwombat

Hi

I see 2 issues here.

1.  Timely access for all users.

2.  Data backup.

1.  Normally for a file to be shared peer to peer one user opens the file and shares it to other users.  Subsequent users need to use the Open Remote command to open the file.  If the limited access user opens the file and you have subsequently opened it without using Open Remote that could be the cause of you being effectively locked out of the file.  You are really opening the file as "read only" because it is already in use.

Solution:  You will need to designate one user as the host and the others use Open Remote.

However

2.  If your server volume and database file are backed up at any time when the database is open by a user you are exposing yourself to the risk of file corruption and loss of data.

The Best Solution:  Get Filemaker server - it is designed to perform backups on live data files and can serve your database to multiple users whenever they need to access it.

Hope this helps

Chris

• 2. Re: Database on Network Drive - Advice Requested
            Vaughan

Get FMS.

Shared network drives are NOT a good place to store FileMaker files that are shared with multiple users. Having the file on your local drive and opening it with FMP is actually a BETTER way to share the file between multiple users than the network share, but not as good as FMS.