7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2012 9:45 AM by pademo57

How Do I Remove iPad Popup Cut Copy Suggest?

pademo57

Hi There,

Yes, I know, it's another newbie question. On my iPad I have a number of inputs that are lookups but now I am getting the "Cut, Copy, Suggest" over top of my popups which block out my menu items. How do I stop the "Cut, Copy, Suggest" popups from coming up?

I didn't get this before so I'm not sure if I have done something to put this "feature" on. Or if the latest version of iPad Software did something.

• 1. Re: How Do I Remove iPad Popup Cut Copy Suggest?
          chris.schmitz

Do you have the 'Select entire contents on entry' setting turned on on the field? If you do it will always give you that popup on an iOS device. I don't know that there is any way of getting rid of it because the device wants to know what you want to do with the text you've selected.

• 2. Re: How Do I Remove iPad Popup Cut Copy Suggest?
            pademo57

As I said before, I am a newbie.  Bear with me as I ask these questions. 

When you say, Do you have the 'Select entire contents on entry' setting turned on on the field?  Do I have to turn this off in the iPad or do I turn this off on Filemaker Pro Advanced which I have on my Windows machine?

If it is in Filemaker Pro Advanced, how do I turn it off?

The reason I ask this is that in the version I had before (Filemaker 1.2.1) it never did show the popup (Cut, Copy, Suggest...).  Why is it happening now? Is this an iPad issue or is it a Filemaker issue?

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: How Do I Remove iPad Popup Cut Copy Suggest?
              RayCologon

pademo57 wrote:

When you say, Do you have the 'Select entire contents on entry' setting turned on on the field?  Do I have to turn this off in the iPad or do I turn this off on Filemaker Pro Advanced which I have on my Windows machine?

If it is in Filemaker Pro Advanced, how do I turn it off?

Hi pademo57,

The setting Chris was referring to is one that can only be controlled using FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Pro Advanced.

To change the setting you would need to go to Layout Mode on the layout(s) where the problem is occurring, select one of the fields in question, then in the Inspector on the Data tab in the Behavior group of controls you will find the checkbox labelled 'Select entire contents on entry'. If it is checked you will be able to un-check it.

I agree with Chris that it would be worth you making sure this setting is unchecked for each of the fields you are having the problem with to see if that corrects the behavior you're seeing.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 4. Re: How Do I Remove iPad Popup Cut Copy Suggest?
                pademo57

Hi Chris and Ray,

I just checked all of the fields and none of them have the 'Select entire contents on entry' checked.  So should I assume this is a iPad problem?

As I have said before, I didn't have this problem when I originally set up my data entry form almost a year ago.  However when I updated iPad and Filemaker Pro in December 2011, that's when I started getting the 'Cut, Copy, Suggest' popup over top of my search popup.

I also don't understand why sometimes I get 'Cut, Copy, Suggest..., Define' popup versus the one above without the 'Define' in the popup.

Frustrated,

Paul

• 5. Re: How Do I Remove iPad Popup Cut Copy Suggest?
                  chris.schmitz

Hey Paul,

I wouldn't really call it a problem that it happens, it's just the difference in behavior between how you interact with a desktop/laptop verses how you interact with an iOS device.

On an iOS device you only have one 'mouse button' which is your finger tapping the screen. Because of this, things that we normally access with a right click like cut/copy/paste need to pop up in a different way. Apple's approach to this is to assume that if you've selected text you want to do something with it like cutting/copying/pasting.

Similarly with the define. Define allows you to look up the definition of a word from within whatever app you've selected the particular single word in. You can't have more than one 'window' open at a time on an ios device so this is an attempt to give the user a more verbose interface and to smooth out navigation (in this case smoothing it out is removing the need to navigate away all together).

What I would say as far as where to go from here is to remember that the iOS is a different environment  tools and interactions that differ from the regular Mac or Windows OS and you have to change the way you develop for it accordingly. What you see as snags that you're running into are actually really helpful tools you can leverage when building an interface.

• 6. Re: How Do I Remove iPad Popup Cut Copy Suggest?
                    sdrartys

Hey Paul,

I too have had this rather annoying problem, With my Database i found that the issue was to do with the field type.

If i used a drop down list then all text in the field was being selected whether the "Select all contents on entry" was ticked or not.

However if you change it to a pop-up menu then you stop getting the "cut, copy, paste....." pop up

• 7. Re: How Do I Remove iPad Popup Cut Copy Suggest?
                      pademo57

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! sdrartys.

I was about to go out and buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab and start all over again.  Your solution worked great. Finally the answer I've been looking for.

Although I still wonder why in my first version (over a year ago) that it did not do that until I upgraded the iPad and Filemaker Go software.  In other words, what changed to make this happen?

Thanks again.