4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2016 1:51 AM by rrrichie

Removing the bottom and top toolbar in Filemaker Go

Patrick

I have looked thru these forums, I have googled it and have only seen mere mentions on it being possible, at least for the bottom bar, but I can't figure out how to do it.

There is an option within filemaker go to remove it but I want it gone when I enter the database, not have to remove it manually everytime.

Can someone help me out please?

• 1. Re: Removing the bottom and top toolbar in Filemaker Go
          RayCologon

user15888 wrote:

I have looked thru these forums, I have googled it and have only seen mere mentions on it being possible, at least for the bottom bar, but I can't figure out how to do it.

There is an option within filemaker go to remove it but I want it gone when I enter the database, not have to remove it manually everytime.

Can someone help me out please?

Hi user15888,

There's only one 'toolbar' (named as such) in FileMaker Go, and it appears along the bottom of the screen. You can control its presence by using a script or button that calls the Show/Hide Status Area[Hide] command.

By including the Show/Hide Status Area[Hide] command in a script that's specified to run on file open (you can choose an open script in the File Options dialog which can be accessed from the File menu in FileMaker Pro), you will be able to ensure that the toolbar is hidden whenever the file is opened, including on FileMaker Go.

Along the top of the screen are the Status Bar and the Menu Bar. The Status Bar can be controlled at the application level in FileMaker Go - you can disable it in the Settings menu and it will then remain out of view for all files and windows until you explicitly enable it again. However the Status Bar can't be controlled programatically from within a solution - it either shows for all Go solutions or for none (until you enable it again via FM Go settings on the particular mobile device).

The Menu bar can be modified (but not removed) via a custom menu set (ie a custom menu set will determine which commands will be available and what actions they will perform), however if you need to remove the menu bar entirely, you can do that by configuring your solution to operate in kiosk mode (for non-admin accounts) using the Developer Utilities in FileMaker Pro Advanced. AFAIK, in all other cases, the menu bar will show.

So, in short, to remove all the chrome from the top and bottom of a FileMaker Go solution, you will have to:

1. Manually hide the Status Bar in FileMaker Go on the mobile device using the Menu>Settings control.
          2. Using FileMaker Pro Advanced, define the file(s) to run in kiosk mode with a non [Full Access] account (and, if required, set it up via File Options to log in automatically with the relevant user account).
          3. Create a script that hides the toolbar using the Show/Hide Status Area[Hide] command, and define the script to run on file open also via the File Options dialog.

Once you've completed the above three steps, your solution will open on FileMaker Go with only the layout content showing and no bars at the top or bottom.

Be aware, however, that you will need to provide layoput controls for all user actions including closing the file, or otherwise users will be stranded without access to any of the usual menus or navigation controls.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 2. Re: Removing the bottom and top toolbar in Filemaker Go
            rrrichie

Why is it so inconvenient just to remove the chrome.  I have some solutions where just to remove the "chrome" I have to create a separate database, cause if I put it in kiosk mode then other users without full access privileges end up in a kiosked environment.

Is it really so hard for Filemaker to disable all this "stuff" when a user enters a field... It's like having a child-lock on a car, but if the child puls the door handle it opens any way, cause I should have put the gaffer-tape on the door-handle as well.  In this case the gaffer tape is the kiosk mode and the hide/status script step is the child lock switch in modern cars.

• 3. Re: Removing the bottom and top toolbar in Filemaker Go
              tmlutas

My experience is that the usual reason that something doesn't happen the way you like it is that there is a significant constituency for doing it the other way and your way of doing things simply wasn't organized enough to get their way at the time things were originally coded. Once it's coded once, the cost to shift to a different way of doing things goes up and original design decisions thus tend to get sticky.

• 4. Re: Removing the bottom and top toolbar in Filemaker Go
                rrrichie

Things have gotten better since then :-)