2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2012 5:00 PM by ksinger

Too many fonts

ksinger

I am using FMP 10 Advanced with Snow Leopard. I want to limit the number of fonts that show up in my fonts menu when working in layout. I currently have 250 fonts in my Fonts folder in the Library that show up in Fontbook, and an additional 124 moved to a folder labeled "unwanted fonts" that don't show up in either Filemaker or Fontbook. I have 69 fonts turned "on" but over 300 show up in the Filemaker menu (it splits out some bold, italic, etc as separate listings). Can I reduce the number of fonts that show up within Filemaker, using Fontbook or a third party app or within the Library?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kathy

• 1. Re: Too many fonts
          RayCologon

ksinger wrote:

Can I reduce the number of fonts that show up within Filemaker, using Fontbook or a third party app or within the Library?

Hi Kathy,

In my experience, fonts that are removed using the Font Book application on Snow Leopard no longer appear in the FileMaker font menus after the application is next relaunched. So you should be able to reduce the list to essentials if that would help.

That aside, you can use type-ahead technique when the font menu is exposed in FileMaker (either the submenu on the overhead Format menu, or the font menu on the formatting toolbar), which can make it a lot easier to locate the font you're looking for than scrolling when the list is long.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 2. Re: Too many fonts
            ksinger

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.  Moving the fonts out of Fontbook worked perfectly.  Thanks very much. 

Kathy