8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2012 10:30 AM by stanmcb

Can't view all pages in print preview

stanmcb

FMP Adv v10. It appears that one can not use a custom menu to view all pages in print preview. One has to use either "Standard FM Menus" or "File Default." Is this correct? Is there a work-around?

Thanks,

Stan

• 1. Re: Can't view all pages in print preview
          RayCologon

stanmcb wrote:

FMP Adv v10. It appears that one can not use a custom menu to view all pages in print preview. One has to use either "Standard FM Menus" or "File Default." Is this correct? Is there a work-around?

Thanks,

Stan

Hi Stan,

No, that's not correct.

There are several ways that page navigation can be used in Preview Mode while using custom menus:

• If the Go to Record» submenu (that normally appears on the Records menu) is included in the current custom menu set then the Status Toolbar navigation controls will be available and active.
          • Similarly the Records>Go to Record>Next, and the Record>Go to Record>Previous commands (along with their associated keyboard shortcuts) will also allow page navigation in Preview Mode.
          • Last but not least, you can add custom navigation commands (and associated shortcuts if desired) to a custom menu set to allow page navigation in Preview mode - for example, the commands can be attached to the Go to Record/Request/Page[ ] script step.

All of the above methods will work regardless of whether the custom menu set in question is defined as the file default, however only the first two will allow users to change pages in Preview Mode using the Status Toolbar widgets.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 2. Re: Can't view all pages in print preview
            stanmcb

Hi Ray,

I've included 2 images. The 1st one will not display custom menu. I believe I followed your advise correctly.

When I select Tools>Std Menu, a menu appears which includes the ability to move between pages, save as PDF, etc.

Thanks for your quick response,

Stan

Prt.Prev No Menu.jpgPrt.Prev Std Menu.jpg

• 3. Re: Can't view all pages in print preview
              RayCologon

stanmcb wrote:

Hi Ray,

I've included 2 images. The 1st one will not display custom menu. I believe I followed your advise correctly.

When I select Tools>Std Menu, a menu appears which includes the ability to move between pages, save as PDF, etc.

Thanks for your quick response,

Stan

Prt.Prev No Menu.jpgPrt.Prev Std Menu.jpg

Hi Stan,

The first of your two images shows a menu bar without a Records menu and the page navigation tools are disabled - as I said they would be if the Records menu and/or the Go to Record submenu aren't included in a custom menu.

In the second picture, the Records menu is available, so the page navigation is enabled - also in line with the advice in my previous post.

Again, if you want page navigation to work you need to include the correponding menu item(s) in your custom menu set.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 4. Re: Can't view all pages in print preview
                stanmcb

Hi,

I believe this is what you suggested (image). No problem when in browse mode. When placed in preview, Record disappears and only Tools remains.

Sorry for being a pain.

Stan

Prt.Prev 1.jpg

• 5. Re: Can't view all pages in print preview
                  RayCologon

stanmcb wrote:

I believe this is what you suggested (image). No problem when in browse mode. When placed in preview, Record disappears and only Tools remains.

Hi Stan,

No, that's not what I was suggesting. The custom menu per my suggestion should include the native FileMaker *Records* menu (or a copy of it or a menu based on it), and that should include the native FileMaker *Go to Record* submenu.

When you set it up that way, the menu will remain in view in Preview mode (by default) and the navigation widgets on the toolbar will remain active.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 6. Re: Can't view all pages in print preview
                    BruceRobertson

Rather than post a picture, I suggest you post your file or a simplified version that contains an example custom menu.

• 7. Re: Can't view all pages in print preview
                      RayCologon

BruceRobertson wrote:

Rather than post a picture, I suggest you post your file or a simplified version that contains an example custom menu.

Hi Bruce,

I realise your suggestion was directed at Stan, and it's one I'd thought of making also.

However, instead, I've made a very simple file that has a custom menu (I called it "Navigation") that appears in preview mode and allows the user to navigate the previewed pages - either from the menu or using the toolbar widgets, as described in my earlier posts.

Stan, if you have a look at the attached example, it may assist you to set your own menus up so they will work the way you require.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 8. Re: Can't view all pages in print preview
                        stanmcb

Hi,

I really feel dumb. I should really be aware of my surroundings...LOL. I didn't notice the Preview Check Box when creating menu. All is well. Thanks to both of you for your input.

Stan

Menu.jpg

1 of 1 people found this helpful