6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 7:28 AM by ianblackburn

Possible cause of "privileges damaged or possibly tampered with..."?

ianblackburn

I have another thread dealing with this general topic, but this about a specific occurrence, so I thought I'd start a new thread for it.

I had three files develop the "access privileges in this file have been damaged or possibly tampered with" issue last week. I had added a new user to each of those three files the previous day. I didn't add him to any other files, and no other files developed that problem, so either it's related or it's one heck of a coincidence.

I have FM Server set to run hourly backups. Is it possible that editing access privs in a file in the middle of a backup could result in corruption?

Any other insights/possibilities/guesses would be greatly appreciated. I spent fifteen hours rebuilding one of those files and I'd really like to avoid ever having to do that again.

• 1. Re: Possible cause of "privileges damaged or possibly tampered with..."?
          Stephen Huston

Hi Ian,

• Is it possible that editing access privs in a file in the middle of a backup could result in corruption?

Yes, it's possible. I don't know that any specific causes of this problem have ever been documented officially by FMI, but anything happening at the schema-level of a file during a backup is risky.

The fact that your problem surfaces in exactly those files where the accounts were modified strongly points to a common problem based on that modification. Do you have any way to track when you added the account compared to backup run periods?

We have our backups set to run less often than hourly due to file-size after 10 years in use. I try to check backup times before touching the files for anything which requires a "Full Access" account to perform, just to be on the safeside. Sometimes, I forget, and count my lucky stars that nothing went wrong -- it just takes longer than expected in most cases. However, Accounts and File-, Table-, and Field-definitions are well worth avoiding during backup periods.

• 2. Re: Possible cause of "privileges damaged or possibly tampered with..."?
            ianblackburn

Hi, Stephen; thanks for the info. I don't have any record of exactly when I added the account to those files, but if it's possible/likely that that's the culprit, I'll certainly make a point of turning off the hourly backup schedule during any substantial dev work (or at least checking the admin console to make sure backups aren't running at that particular moment). That was an unpleasant lesson to learn the hard way.

• 3. Re: Possible cause of "privileges damaged or possibly tampered with..."?
              BeatriceBeaubien

Hello Ian,

There have been reports that changing account parameters while users are in the hosted file can result in account corruption. I make sure no one is in the file apart from myself if I need to add or change accounts.

Best wishes,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Possible cause of "privileges damaged or possibly tampered with..."?
                ianblackburn

That would be difficult for me - I regularly have to add/edit user accounts on the fly, and I'm generally not in a position to boot eveyone out to do it. Still, in cases where I have advance notice of new employees, etc., I can add them in off-peak usage hours. Every bit of caution helps, and it's never occurred to me that having users logged into the hosted file might present problems, so thanks for that tip.

• 5. Re: Possible cause of "privileges damaged or possibly tampered with..."?
                  Stephen Huston

Hi again Ian,

I use a scripted Account creation process so that I am not opening the Manage Security accounts screens to create new accounts, just running the script(s). This has never caused any problems for our system with dozens of users  logged in all the time.

Where things can get real hinky is if you edit the account of someone who is already logged in to part of the file system, and bang!, their permissions change while they are using them. Haven't see that crash it, but it can sure confuse a user to have things say they can't log in to a file they they thought they had access to. I always make sure any specific user is out of the system before messing with their existing account.

Move to scripted accounts management and minimize the number of times you need to open Manage Security as far as possible.

Stephen Huston

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Possible cause of "privileges damaged or possibly tampered with..."?
                    ianblackburn

Thanks - I've never used scripted account management, but if that'll keep the auth table from getting borked, I'm all for it.

Considering how many people use Filemaker for crucial business stuff, it seems awfully fragile.