4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 2:10 PM by sporobolus

Using  PHP in a Filemaker script

pedantic

The conversion process actually went fairly well, but there's one sticking point. I use a plugin that will be unusable in Filemaker 11, the target conversion level. The plugin takes a picture and creates a thumbnail that can be stored in a Filemaker database. I've looked around and found a couple of plugins that might serve well as replacements, but what I would really like to try is this: I also found some PHP code that performs the same thing, without extra cost. Is there a way to call PHP code directly from the Filemaker script? If I could get away from using Applescript, I could make this script usable on both the Mac and Windows platforms and that would be considered a plus.

TIA!

John

• 1. Re: Using  PHP in a Filemaker script
          databuzz

Hi John,

The only way I know of using PHP code from the context of a FileMaker script is to use one of the PHP FileMaker plug-ins. I've used the SmartPill PHP Edition with great success in the past:

http://www.scodigo.com/products/smartpill-php

HTH,

Andrew

• 2. Re: Using  PHP in a Filemaker script
            LyndsayHowarth

Yes... As Andrew said...

The php side of things would help if you were to store the thumbnails externally.. You could upload an image and resize/rename for thumbnails in the process... then update the record in the database with a filename/path as text. Inside the database the full path to the file could be then calculated and displayed in a web viewer or a container..

or

you could simple use the php code for resizing before you import the image...

- Lyndsay

• 3. Re: Using  PHP in a Filemaker script
              pedantic

Thanks to the both of you.  FYI, the algorithm currently goes something like this:

1.)  Identify path where all files are stored.

2.)  Start loop.

3.)  Call Applescript script

4.)  In Applescript create thumbnail using standalone app (sorry--I really thought it was a plugin.  My bad.)

5.)  Save thumbnail to a file named "Insertme.jpg"

6.)  Insert into Filemaker database.

7.)  Move to next record.

Since then on my own I have also discovered a utility called GraphicConverter that may also fit the bill.   The good of it is that using it may minimize the amount of code I would have to revise.

Again, thanks for your contributions

• 4. Re: Using  PHP in a Filemaker script
                sporobolus

on 2012-01-18 07:47 pedantic wrote

3.)  Call Applescript script

4.)  In Applescript create thumbnail using standalone app (sorry--I really thought it was a plugin.  My bad.)

there are probably dozens of substitutes for the standalone app that could be

called by the AppleScript, or from a shell script; you could even call

command-line PHP from AppleScript, or directly