10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 9:55 AM by birdparts

Filemaker 11 running slow

birdparts

I just upgraded from FM 4 to FM 11, as my new computer has Windows 7. I have an inventory file with 3200 records, most having pictures. When ever I go to that file I am on the clock for a few seconds. This is very disappointing. I never had this problem on my older, slower, computer running FM 4.1. Any ideas why this happens? Thanks

• 1. Re: Filemaker 11 running slow
          Stephen Huston

Are these external data references to images, or stored images inside the container fields?

When you migrated the file from 4 to 11, the file structure changed AND any images actually stored in the container fields may also have been forced to change to anohter file type. Some image formats which were supported in 4 are not supported in 11 (7 and later), so the container field contents may not now be  optimized for screen viewing in the same way you had them before. The new file format of converted images may actually be larger than the previous stored image, which would cause it to take longer.

Most of us went through this bother some years ago, so it doesn't come up as often now. If you can use FM4-to-6 to export stored images with file names which carry record IDs, process them into something more 11-friendly such as PNGs, then reimport them either individually or in a batch/folder, your problem may resolve.

This is a pain, but most of use who used contained images a lot before 7 got bit at some point.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 11 running slow
            birdparts

Thanks for the quick reply Steve, I always select "store only a reference to the file" when I put a picture in a record. I may have forgotten on a few records. The images display fine. It just seems like that file runs slowly. The pictures are all in a folder on my C drive. They are all JPEG format.

Best Regards,

Tom Sestak

Click link below to visit my Ebay Store:

http://stores.ebay.com/Thomas-Sestak-Collector-Car-Parts_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

• 3. Re: Filemaker 11 running slow
              GordonShewach

One of the speed issues many of us ran into converting pre .fp7 to .fp7 is external file references. Not references to your images stored as reference, but the references that link database A to database B via relationship. Check the External Data Sources (File/Manage) in the troubled file and see if you have many redundant or broken relationships to external files. If you find broken relationships that aren't needed, you can delete them. Redundant relationships, however, can't be deleted without breaking functionality, the functionality of whatever depended on that redundant relationship (field, script, or value list).

To fix redundant relationships, you'll need to find anything that depends on it and repoint it before you can delete it. For example, if you have 2 relationships to external file A (relationship A1 and A2), find everything that depends on A2 and repoint it to A1. In FMP 11 I use BaseElements (www.goya.com.au/baseelements) to find these dependencies. In FMP 6 and prior I use MetaDataMagic.

To automate the whole thing, before I convert pre .fp7 to .fp7, the FIRST thing I do is use MetaDataMagic (www.newmillennium.com/metadatamagic) to do a "file reference fix," which addresses this exact issue. After the file reference fix, then I convert the files to .fp7.

Gordon Shewach

Desktop Services

Ann Arbor, MI

• 4. Re: Filemaker 11 running slow
                birdparts

Thanks Gordon.

Best Regards,

Tom Sestak

http://stores.ebay.com/Thomas-Sestak-Collector-Car-Parts_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

• 5. Re: Filemaker 11 running slow
                  Stephen Huston

And take a look at the Relationship Graphs which were created when the files were converted. Converted graphs can almost always be simplified, which really improves performance.

• 6. Re: Filemaker 11 running slow
                    birdparts

Thanks Stephen, I am also finding all my scripts that reference another file are not working, and I have lots of them. I haven't spent a lot of time working on the problems, as I am running my business on the old computer yet. Just thought I would test drive FM11 on the new one. When I work on repairing the scripts, in the dialog box I see several files with the same name, but with different numbers behind them, E.I. Contacts2, Contacts3, etc. What's that all about? I only have one file named Contact. I have been running my business on Filemaker since the mid 80's when we had Macs. I buy a new computer every 3-4 years and had to change to PC's in the 90's. Last time I got away without needing a newer version of Filemaker. This time with Windows 7 not so lucky. I am half tempted to put XP on the new computer, as I am not too thrilled with Windows 7 neither. More change for the sake of change.

Best Regards,

Tom Sestak

• 7. Re: Filemaker 11 running slow
                      GordonShewach

E.I. Contacts2, 3, etc. is exactly what I was talking about above, Tom ("relationship A1 and A2"). You have redundant relationships to the same file. I can't tell you that your speed issues are ONLY due to this issue, but I can guarantee you that this is a textbook speed problem encountered by the upgrade to .fp7. My best advice is to buy a copy of MetaDataMagic and run your suite of databases through the "file reference fixer."

Gordon Shewach

Desktop Services

Ann Arbor, MI

• 8. Re: Filemaker 11 running slow
                        Stephen Huston

Hi again Tom,

Go into your External Data Sources (File > Manage...) and name one of the sources something like Contacts_Use or Contacts_Main, and then repoint your existing Table Occurances (TOs) to use that source.

Once you have all of your contacts referencing the same External Data Source, you can delete the unused sources, and things will speed up.

You also need to repoint any script steps that use Contacts2 to Contacts_Main (or whatever you decide to use).

Getting the External Data Sources pared down to essentials will improve opening A LOT.

Stephen Huston

• 9. Re: Filemaker 11 running slow
                          birdparts

Thanks Gordon, I will check it out.

Best Regards,

Tom

• 10. Re: Filemaker 11 running slow
                            birdparts

Thanks again Stephen. Will give it a try.

Best Regards,

Tom