12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 9:59 AM by hschlossberg

Client sees local server but not served files

hschlossberg

A client just got a new machine (Win 7 64-bit) and installed FM10 on there. Opening the 'Open Remote' dialog, his FM server automatically appears under local hosts. He clicks on it but no files appear on the right. The same thing works fine for him with no problems on his other client machines.

FILES ARE SERVED: I had him hand-append the file name to the end of the "network file path" and he gets a message saying the file cannot be found or does not exist. However, he is able to open his database from other machines, and I confirmed that I can also open his databases over WAN.

BONJOUR IS INSTALLED: I had him check that Bonjour got installed (it did). And if it weren't, then he wouldn't get anything under 'local hosts' anyhow.

CAN PING FMS: I ran him through doing a ping from the client machine to the FMS machine and that worked with no problem, including a special "paping" via port 5003, so it wouldn't seem to be a network issue.

SERVER.PEM file: The file is there and has a recent creation date.

REINSTALLED: FM10 has been reinstalled and machine restarted.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,

Howard

• 1. Re: Client sees local server but not served files
          Stephen Huston

Hi Howard,

Is there any restriction on the incoming IP addresses to the FM Server? This can be set as part of the security in the the FM Server admin panels. If so, is this new computer part of the correct IP node or group with to access the FM Server?

You said:

• However, he is able to open his database from other machines, and I confirmed that I can also open his databases over WAN.

This really suggests a network issue rather than anything wrong in the FM Pro client software. The IP restriction in FM Server issue is the only FM Server-based issue I can think of where just one computer on the network is affected, and the user's account still works via other client computers on that network.

• 2. Re: Client sees local server but not served files
            hschlossberg

There are no incoming IP restrictions on the server.

I originally suspected network issues, as well, but the Open Remote dialog sees the local host (it lists the server as the only one on the left).  It's just that selecting that server then displays no files on the right.  The fact that this works from other machines suggests that it is not the server.  But the fact that a telnet ping from the client to the server on port 5003 suggests that the network is not the problem either.

It would seem (to me at least) to be something on the client, yet after a reinstall of FMP I can't figure out what.

• 3. Re: Client sees local server but not served files
              filemakeris.us

try manually typing the route to the file (eg fmnet://10.0.1.1/MYDB) (avoid the fp7) extension.

I bet it should work

DD

• 4. Re: Client sees local server but not served files
                hschlossberg

No, that's what really drives me crazy on this one -- it's not just Bonjour or the Open Remote dialog.  I had him enter the "network file path" (without the fp7 extension) and he gets a message saying the file cannot be found or does not exist.

• 5. Re: Client sees local server but not served files
                  Stephen Huston

Howard, now you're just being difficult!     

...at least more difficult to find easy answers for.

Are there any other servers this machine can connect to on your local network (not via FM, just anything, a file sever for instance), just to verify that his networking is  working beyond the Ping?

Can he actually open other file types on other servers?

• 6. Re: Client sees local server but not served files
                    philmodjunk

SERVER.PEM file: The file is there and has a recent creation date.

Hmmm, just to rule out every possible isse with the .pem file try replacing it with a copy from a computer where access does work for the user. Perhaps the file is damaged.

• 7. Re: Client sees local server but not served files
                      pthomas

Hi Howard,

Could it be the windows firewall causing problems?

Also what network user account are they logging into the new computer as?

Have they tried logging in with the same account used on one of their other computers that is working?

Cheers,

Paul.

• 8. Re: Client sees local server but not served files
                        filemakeris.us

IT happens with all computer or just one in particular?

Sent from my iPhone

• 9. Re: Client sees local server but not served files
                          hschlossberg

Stephen: Yes, using Windows Explorer, he is able to see the whole network, including the FMS machine, as well as files on those machines.

Phil: We'd tried your suggestion before the reinstall; didn't help.

Paul: I don't think Windows firewall, as the telnet pings on port 5003 went through with no problem.  I'm not sure on the network user account, and I've asked them to clarify and test with that.  To be clear, external authentication is not enabled on FMS...but your query has nonetheless left me curious about the effect of network logins.

ALL: the client just informed me that they've gone and purchased a copy of FM11 to install on that one machine and it works with no problem.  I'm hoping they'll continue with a couple other requests I've made of them to help satiate my curiosity, but as of a couple minutes ago, it would no longer seem to be important to them to find and answer.

• 10. Re: Client sees local server but not served files
                            PSI

Then this must be a bad server.pem file. Take the one from the FM 11 install and put it on one of the FM 10 installs that don’t work and I bet they will.

John Morina

Pueblo System, Inc.

CCQ-FM Inc.

john@pueblo-systems.com

• 11. Re: Client sees local server but not served files
                              Stephen Huston

So it appears that the resolution on this one is to upgrade to FM11 on a computer that was built recently.

Sometimes it really as simple as compatibility between hard/soft-ware. Yyou can never be 100% sure that any two Windows boxes contain exactly the same hardware or exactly the same software if there may be  add-ons from the manufacturers.

I recall about a decade ago that some Dell boxes were missing wome Windows DLL files needed for FileMaker to run, and they included some of their own DLLs (which were really old) to drive the Dell onlilne registration system. Some of those Dell-installed DLLs caused FM runtimes (back around FM4) to crash when launched.

Anyway, installing the latest FM version when working with new hardware is a good idea where it won't create a backward-compatibility issue with the served files.

So we don't know the cause, but we have a fix, or at least a workaround.

Thanks for letting us know.

• 12. Re: Client sees local server but not served files
                                hschlossberg

Let's call it a workaround ;-) .  While I would recommend against FMPA 10 on a WIn 7 (64 bit) machine for any kind of development work, I have never experienced or heard of any connection-type issues, nor any other serious issues with that combo for general FMP users.

Anyhow, thanks Stephen.  I appreciate yours and everyone's responses.

Howard Schlossberg