4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2012 4:41 AM by RubenVanDenBoogaard

Adding company writing paper to pdf?

RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi,

I can make a pdf from multiple records, using sliding etc. But I want to use the company writing paper as a background.

Is it possible to add the company paper (which I have as a pdf) to a new pdf using ScriptMaster and iText or something?

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

• 1. Re: Adding company writing paper to pdf?
          RayCologon

Ruben van den Boogaard wrote:

Is it possible to add the company paper (which I have as a pdf) to a new pdf using ScriptMaster and iText or something?

Hi Ruben,

There are several ways you might accomplish this, however a starting point would perhaps be to see if you can achieve the desired result using native layout and scripting techniques in FileMaker.

In case you'd like to explore this, I'm attaching a simple example file that uses sliding to produce a text document from a number of records, and previews, prints or saves to pdf with a background image included. The example is set up to automatically enter Preview mode and produce a pdf when you open the file, to illustrate the result.

The form of the document and the background image are unlikely to bear any resemblance to what you are doing, but the file might nevertheless give you some ideas to work with.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 2. Re: Adding company writing paper to pdf?
            RubenVanDenBoogaard

Thanks Ray!

From my experience with older versions I thought that is was not possible to do this, but apparently It works now.

Unfortunately it only works for the first page, but my client can live with that.

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl

• 3. Re: Adding company writing paper to pdf?
              RayCologon

From my experience with older versions I thought that is was not possible to do this, but apparently It works now.

Hi Ruben,

I'm not sure which versions you're thinking of, but the file I posted works in every version since (and including) v7.

The only caveats I'm aware of are that in v7 the Save as PDF feature wasn't available, so you have to use a different method to get the output into a pdf document (eg printing to pdf etc...) and in version 8, the acrobat libraries were a bit primitive so although the pdf is created, the image doesn't render well. From 8.5 on the technique works the same as it does in v11 and produces comparable pdf output.

On the other hand there is, of course, no guarantee that this approach will continue to work in future versions, so some caution on that account may be warranted.

Unfortunately it only works for the first page, but my client can live with that.

Again, I'm not sure what you're referring to. The technique works fine for multiple pages on all the computers (both Windows and Mac) here.

Attached is a copy of the same example in which I've added some more records so it runs across three pages, and they all show the background the same as the first - so AFAIK if it's configured correctly it should not be limited to the first page.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 4. Re: Adding company writing paper to pdf?
                RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi Ray,

I got it!

After some more fiddling I found out that the Title Header I use messes things up.  The background stays only on the first page.

The solution was to use a small Header part on the page and attach the background also on that header part.

I also figured out what I did wrong in the older version (probably vs 6)

I used a calculation field to put the picture behind the text, (in an effort to use 1 layout to save as pdf and print to a printer), but that messed up the sliding. I now have 2 layouts, one for the printing and one for the save as pdf.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl