AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cascading / Conditional / Tiered Drop Down  Dropdown (8-levels)

Question asked by bdm4639 on Jan 20, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 20, 2012 by bdm4639

I am having trouble setting up a parts database that will allow data entry via cascading dropdowns.

As an example, a person may need to enter from 8 different dropdown selctions as follows:

HARDWARE--->FASTENERS--->STAINLESS--->SCREW--->MACHINE THREAD--->FLAT HEAD PHILLIPS--->1/4-20 THREAD--->3" LENGTH

or

HARDWARE--->FASTENERS--->ZINC--->BOLT--->MACHINE THREAD--->HEX HEAD--->1/4-20 THREAD--->2" LENGTH

I have attempted to create this by using the "Include only related values starting from" option in Value Lists. It works for the first couple of levels, but then the dropdown starts showing a conglomerate of options not associated with the previous dropdown.

I probably do not have the tables set up and joined correctly, or else I am using the wrong approach altogether.

I have found numerious threads discussing multi-tiered drop-downs, but not with this many levels. I have searched and tried many different suggestions, but I am not able to reslove this by reading the other threads and looking at the other examples.

Is this something can can be explained by showing me what the table relationship should look like?

Outcomes