6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2012 2:05 PM by sporobolus

trade marks -use of conditional formatting?

barbara

when I copy a text with trade marks, the mark is no longer shifted

can I use conditional formatting to solve this problem? how?

e.g.

barbara

• 1. Re: trade marks -use of conditional formatting?
          beverly

Barbara, shifted how? subscript or superscript?

Have you looked at the TextStyleAdd() function? This could be used in conditional formatting.

<http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/func_ref3.33.99.html>

Beverly

• 2. Re: trade marks -use of conditional formatting?
            sporobolus

on 2012-01-20 22:08 barbara wrote

when I copy a text with trade marks, the mark is no longer shifted

can I use conditional formatting to solve this problem? how?

e.g.

i don't see anything after "e.g." to illustrate this; all of the common fonts i

use have a superscripted trademark glyph™, so i wonder if it is due to a font

you are using

• 3. Re: trade marks -use of conditional formatting?
              barbara

hi beverly, hi steve

thanks a lot.

"TextStyleAdd" I found but it is useful for a phrase only.

It is the symbol for "registered" that has to go at the end of a certain phrase and in superscript.

This phrase plus superscript turns up everywhere: several times in 1 text field, in many text fields and in many tables.

I do not type my texts in FileMaker, usually I copy and paste or import them from a different (extremely old) software. In the original text the superscript is there but it gets lost when I go into FileMaker.

Would be great to make FileMaker search and change.

font

so far I use arial.

Barbara

• 4. Re: trade marks -use of conditional formatting?
                LyndsayHowarth

HI Barbara,

using text copied from 2 apps to FM maintains the superscript ™ for me... but I imagine it is a font issue. It may mean you don't have that font available to FM.

Just out of interest... as soon as you have pasted... do an undo. This should make the pasted text take on the font of the field... Is the superscript maintained then? (option-paste will do the same on the mac and windows has an equiv command)

If the text were set by other than the superscript command by moving the baseline and point size (in InDesign or other page layout program) then the superscript is not real and will not be maintained.... and FM does not support some of those formatting functions so can't display them.

- Lyndsay

• 5. Re: trade marks -use of conditional formatting?
                  comment

barbara wrote:

It is the symbol for "registered" that has to go at the end of a certain phrase and in superscript.

The REGISTERED TRADE MARK SIGN character ® is not the same as the TRADEMARK character ™. Try setting your field to auto-enter the following calculation (replacing existing value) =

Substitute ( self ; Char (174) ; TextStyleAdd ( Char (174) ; superscript ) )

• 6. Re: trade marks -use of conditional formatting?
                    sporobolus

on 2012-01-21 23:56 barbara wrote

"TextStyleAdd" I found but it is useful for a phrase only.

This phrase plus superscript turns up everywhere: several times in 1 text field, in many text fields and in many tables.

I do not type my texts in FileMaker, usually I copy and paste or import them from a different (extremely old) software.

well that clears up one point of confusion — it is "circle-r" (registered

trademark) instead of "superscript TM" (trademark) — the former is not

superscripted by default in most common fonts, while the later is superscripted

there are two ways the source text may have gained the superscript appearance —

either by using text styling or by using a font which naturally superscripts

the glyph; if you are copying and pasting the text, it would seem that the text

styling and/or font choice is not carrying over to FileMaker; i'm not sure

whether superscript styling can carry over the way other styling can, but in

general when styling doesn't carry over this is an idiosyncratic problem that

depends on the source of the text and the OS you are using

in case it helps, there are some fairly common fonts which superscript

circle-r, such as Minion Pro and Myriad Pro; if you do not have these, note

that they are installed with Adobe Reader

otherwise TextStyleAdd() is the way to go; it is not just for phrases, but

you'd need to use a calculation to apply superscript just to the circle-r, e.g.:

"myBrand" & textstyleadd("®" ; Superscript)