1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 4:35 AM by thommmes

Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else

asfried

Hello,

I have created my filemaker database, and I would now like to try and share it through the Instant Web Publishing. I have done the obvious File>Sharing>Turn on IWP. Assuming for the time being that I have allowed "All Users" to view the file, I should be able to past the ISP URL into my browser go to the IWP filemaker homepage, and click on my file. I can do all of this, I can open the file, and everything works. The problem is that no one else can view the file via the internet. I send them the URL and once they click on it a new window opens, it looks like the page is loading, and it just "loads" forever. I have checked the security lists for IWP on my filemaker, and I have allowed the Filemaker IWP to communicate through the Windows Firewall.

I don't know what else to do, and I would really appreciate any suggestions.

(I am using Filemaker Pro 11)

• 1. Re: Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else
          dwbeowulff

This is my problem as well. I have the iwp port set to 591 and while I can access my filemakerpro database from within my local wireless and lan networks, I can't access it when off site. I also can't resent the address from my local machine to my ecternal ip address. A port scan indicates that 591 is open but is refused as it has no services attached to it. I have a dyndns host address that permits other services through to my local computer (specifically, servetome, logmein, etc.) but no webpublishing. I am using an iMac running Lion (10.7.3), attached to an airport express. I too wouldn't mind any suggestions.

• 2. Re: Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else
            LyndsayHowarth

You must have these things set up for hosting IWP to the WAN:

File>Sharing>Turn on IWP

Accounts... a user who is using a privilege set which allows IWP access

Your Router must be set to forward the traffic from your broadband to the specific machine that you are hosting on. This is called Port Forwarding and the port you are forwarding is going to be 80 or 591 for Web publishing and port 5003 for FileMaker client access.

You may also have to configure the router to always assign the same LAN IP address to the FM host machine.

HTH

- Lyndsay

• 3. Re: Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else
              dtkleo

I'm using 10.7.3 with Server (See other post from me) and can't get IWP to work either... Actually maybe I should have posted here. I can only say that checking the web router settings and port forwarding helped. Lyndsay's post mentions getting a static IP address rather than dynamic. I think that depends on the ISP and maybe that's also where the network traffic is not being correctly directed.

• 4. Re: Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else
                dwbeowulff

I open the airport utility and select netowrk. Under network I enable NAT  port mapping protocol. I do not enable default host since defining it using the ip address of my imac creates a problem. When I look at the available types of protocal descriptions to use on the airport extreme I don't see web publishing. So I figure the description is not important and just assign the public and private tcp ports to 591. Scanning the port from the web, however, I get a port timed out error. What part of the configuration for port mapping on my IWP port am I missing? If I have set up my host computer with a static address (10.0.1.17) which iwp uses to 'publish' my catalog on port 591 AND I have a dyndsn address of 99.25.244.***  making sure that myexternal web address is linked to my computer. Do I need a public udp port assigned as well? I am using dyndns.org for dynamic updating.

• 5. Re: Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else
                  LyndsayHowarth

Someone who uses airport stations and airport utility might help you with that better than I but (with my ignorance about base stations)...

dwbeowulff wrote:

So I figure the description is not important and just assign the public and private tcp ports to 591.

This doesn't seem like a good idea to me.... unless you are talking about actual port forwarding. It has so many names in different router admin packages but often the words "gaming" and "Applications" and "Service" and of course "port" and "TCP / "UDP".

You should be able to set several and name them according to the service you are forwarding.... for example you usually enter:

Service Name     IPADDRESS      PORT TCP/UDP/Both

FileMaker IWP        10.0.1.17             591                 TCP (or Both)

web                         10.0.1.17            80                TCP (or Both)

FileMaker                  10.0.1.17          5003             TCP (or Both)

Timbuktu                   10.0.1.17         407               UDP

.... etc

In some routers you can select by device names rather than IP address and I suspect this is the case with anything Apple provides. The Apple site says "Manage DHCP reservations and port mappings"...

This means that you need to reserve 10.0.1.17 for your machine to always be assigned as it's IP address. You also need to map ports... and perhaps there is something here that will help:

http://www.apple.com/support/airport/

Using the above example, you can call:

http://publicIP/ to go to the default web folder

http://publicIP:591/ to go to IWP

fmnet://publicIP/ to go to FileMaker using FileMaker client

... all from outside the network (WAN).

Inside the network (LAN) you can use various addressess like :

http://10.0.1.17/

http://yourmacname.local/

http://10.0.1.17:591/

http://yourmacname.local:591/

And on your machine you can also use :

http://localhost/

http://localhost:591/

Lyndsay

• 6. Re: Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else
                    thommmes

Hi,

I had this problem before. For me the solution was Port forwarding / redirection.

I have a static IP address for my network / router. Had to determine my pc's local IP address and then forward the FM requests to this local address.

If you have a dynamic address, you will have to change tis every time you're logging in again. Lyndsay seems to tell you the same.

It all depends on the router you are using, if by accident it is a Draytek Vigor, I can give you some more explicit input.

Hope this helps

Thommes

• 7. Re: Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else
                      dwbeowulff

While I haven't figured out how to get my main iMAC to allow access from the web to my studio database, I did get IWB to work. See my webpage [http://bailinstudio.com/Search/search.php] and click on the web catalogue image to see it in action. To do this I set up an old PowerBook Pro wired to my U-verse modem/router to publish a copy of the database. Setting up the IWB and the port forwarding on the U-verse was a snap and with dyndns web based ip detection, visitors now have access to the database through my website. While this isn't the greatest solution (the PBP isn't on the same local network as my iMAC so I have to manually sync the PBP database with the working DB every time I update an artwork), I realized I would have to hire a network expert to get my iMAC to publish the IWB since my calls to Filemmaker, Apple and U-verse support only produced a merry-go-round of finger pointing. Bottom line is that I think the culprit is that I inadvertantly (or rather stupidly) installed (but did not configure and forgot about mentioning in this forum) Lion Server and that that system add-on caused my hassles. I'm just happy that I have cobbled together a solution. Thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction and gave me the language to work it out. Just wondering, anyone have experience configuring IWB with Lion Server?

• 8. Re: Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else
                        thommmes

Hi,

glad you were able to get it running. I like your graphic work.

Some comments re the Filemaker side:

Did you make sure that users will be logged out automatically when inactive for a certain period of time? Otherwise you may get in trouble with the number of users.

I also suggest you keep the Stus tollbar closed and set up some buttons / scripts for the user interface. Users who don't know Filemaker might do strange things with your database. For more information about this I can suggest the IWP manual which you can access via the help menu. It gives some very good tipps imho.

Cheers Thommes

• 9. Re: Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else
                          dwbeowulff

I absolutely agree with your comments. I'm not sure how to close the status toolbar (I'm looking into how to create the open script to hide that bar but haven't figured it out yet) but have added buttons to perform search and exit routines. I am adding a previous and next button as well.

• 10. Re: Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else
                            lhoong

Using a script to control the status bar involves the script step "Show/Hide Status Area".

Lee.

=================

Binary Assist

220 Gaines Oak Way

Suwanee, GA 30024

Voice: (678) 313-5604

Internet: lhoong@binaryassist.com

FileMaker Certified Developer

• 11. Re: Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else
                              dwbeowulff

Got it working. Nice, very nice. Thanks Thommes and Lee for that great suggestion and help.

One more question and I'll be set. The exit script: I have it set up to exit/log off which automatically goes to the iwp_home.html. Which is fine since I open the database in a new tab/window but requires that the visitor manually close the window to get back to my main site. What I'd like is to log out and automatically close the IWP tab/window. I haven't gotten that script to work. Is it possible in IWP? Of course, ideally, I wouldn't mind opening the IWP from within my website (as an iframe) and close it there too so that my visitors stay within my website. When I've tried an iframe I was stuck with the same issue of getting back to the main site rather than the iwp_home.html page. Any thoughts?

• 12. Re: Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else
                                thommmes

Just a quick one (as it is prime time in Germany and the crime story is about to begin )

A script step Go to URL (or open URL?? - my system is German) may help. If that doesn't help, I will think about it again tomorrow.

Cheers Thommes

• 13. Re: Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else
                                  dwbeowulff

That script works fine on the desktop and linked with the exit application script does what I want (closes the application and opens the url) but doesn't work from IWP. I may have read somewhere that IWP doesn't allow that action.

• 14. Re: Instant Web Publishing can't be seen by anyone else
                                    thommmes

Hi,

thats a surprise to me, the IWP manual tells something else.

Take a look here on page 36: http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/fms/fm11_instant_web_publish_en.pdf

Thommes

1 2 Previous Next