10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 8:19 AM by RayCologon

Very basic question

pedantic

Hello Everyone:

I have opened FM and a single database file. When I pull down the File -> Manage menu option only three of the 8 menu options are available for selection. I've tried switching context to see if that changes anything, but it does not. I have looked in the documentation to tell me more about the File->Manage menu option, but I guess I just don't know where to look yet.

Does anyone have a guess as to what may be happening?

TIA!

John

• 1. Re: Very basic question
          psijmons

John, was this a new file you created (then all options should be available) or did you open a file prepared by someone else?

Then your access level to that file is not Full Access and privilege settings prevent you from seeng all options.

Peter

• 2. Re: Very basic question
            DLarsen

If you're running on a Mac I don't know but if you're on Windows some menu items will be greyed-out if the file is opened while in the zip format.  On a couple occasions I have forgotten to unzip or extract an .fp7 file and opened it directly with Filemaker.  At first glance it looks fine but upon further examination some of the menu items, like the ones you describe, are greyed-out.

The fix is to unzip (aka extract) the file.

• 3. Re: Very basic question
              LyndsayHowarth

This does not happen on a Mac... as a default installation. Even when you have software to open a zip file, it won't open until it is extracted from the Zip. Windoze for it wrong in a big way!

If you are on a Mac, Peter's explanation is more likely.

It could also be that you are trying to open a file from a CD or some other read-only device.

- Lyndsay

• 4. Re: Very basic question
                RayCologon

Lyndsay Howarth wrote:

This does not happen on a Mac... as a default installation. Even when you have software to open a zip file, it won't open until it is extracted from the Zip. Windoze for it wrong in a big way!

Hi Lyndsay,

Actually, that's exactly what happens on a Mac if you open a file that resides within a .dmg archive. Unless the archive has been designated writable at creation (most aren't), the file will open as read-only, with various menu commands (eg in the File>Manage> submenu) be grayed out and unavailable.

So, it's by no means a platform-specific problem.

Cheers,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 5. Re: Very basic question
                  Mike_Mitchell

Another thought - is it possible that the file itself is set to "read only" at the OS level? That's caused some head scratching for me in the past.

Mike

• 6. Re: Very basic question
                    LyndsayHowarth

Hi Ray,

I was referring to ZIPs as this was what was being discussed by DLarsen.

- Lyndsay

• 7. Re: Very basic question
                      pedantic

Well, for a very basic question, I sure got a lot of responses.   Thanks everyone for contributing. 

Caveat time:  As much as I hate revealing it, please remember that I am that "very new at writing code for FM" guy who just started posting a few weeks ago.  (Though I cut my programmers' teeth on writing code for dBase--but that was a looong time ago.)  I don't yet know what's important and what's not, but I am trying to learn as quickly as possible. I don't mind dishing out flattery and Dr. Cologon, your Filemaker 10 Bible is helping immensely.

I apologize for the lack of information.  This is a project that I am attempting to convert from FM6 to FM11 on the Mac (OS X 10.6 for now).  The intention of the project is to provide a "runtime version" of a processed database to our customers that allows them to change only two to three things in the database and return the information.  In a multi-step process, this is the very first database that just imports the data from a raw text file and does some very low-level, uncomplicated processing. Two to three steps down the road the data are transferred to the actual database that is sent out to our customers.  I am not working off of a CD or .dmg;  the file is located in a folder on the desktop.  I performed a Cmd-I on the file and it is wide open for reading and writing.

So Peter's response is closest to what's happening (because I failed to give you all the information you needed--my bad).  Is there any way to fix it?

As far as I can tell, there are no accounts defined and it does not ask for anything like a password when I open it.

If you need any more information, please let me know.

• 8. Re: Very basic question
                        Mike_Mitchell

Okay. It's logging in with a default account. Hold down the Option key to force the database to show you the Account login dialog. This will allow you to enter the full access account information (which, if this is being converted from FM 6, will be the old full access password as both account name and password).

But if you don't have the full access account information, you'll probably have an issue. Does the customer have that information?

Mike

• 9. Re: Very basic question
                          pedantic

Alas, neither I nor the customer has that information.  I am going to attempt to contact the original programmer to see if he can remember it.  Stay tuned.

• 10. Re: Very basic question
                            RayCologon

Lyndsay Howarth wrote:

Hi Ray,

I was referring to ZIPs as this was what was being discussed by DLarsen.

- Lyndsay

Hi Lyndsay,

Agreed - your comment regarding the behaviour of .zip files was spot on, and it was not my intention to contradict you - apologies if it came across that way.

I simply wanted to draw attention to the fact that the problem in general is not OS specific and there's a corollary for it on the Mac.

All the best,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com