2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2012 9:29 AM by Stephen Huston

Opening a bound file on FileMaker Go?

PeterWindle

Can anyone confirm if it is possible to copy a bound filemaker file onto the iOS platform to have it then open with FMGo? Or does the file need to be the default .fp7 format??

• 1. Re: Opening a bound file on FileMaker Go?
          RayCologon

PeterWindle wrote:

Can anyone confirm if it is possible to copy a bound filemaker file onto the iOS platform to have it then open with FMGo? Or does the file need to be the default .fp7 format??

Yes, it's possible. You shouldn't have to change the extension - the File Browser on FM Go will open the data file directly regardless of its extension, so you can install the runtime database files directly onto a mobile device.

FWIW, you can also host the database file(s) from a runtime using FileMaker Server and FM Go can then access them remotely.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 2. Re: Opening a bound file on FileMaker Go?
            Stephen Huston

Hi Peter,

Just confirming and elaborating on what Ray said from my own experience. I have numerous bound runtime files loaded into FM GO on both iPad and iPhone which open just fine with various file extensions, not only the ".USR" runtime default.

If you run into any problems loading them, I have done it via both iTunes transfer into the FM GO app area, and via email attachment.

Stephen Huston