9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2012 10:39 AM by jdornbos

Magnetic Stripe Reader into FM Go

jdornbos

I've been trying to locate a magnetic stripe reader (MSR) that can transfer the swiped information in to FM Go. I was (wrongly) assuming that a msr could be set to work as alternate keyboard input, and just spit it's data into the selected field. It seems that every msr I look at is written to interface with its own app and doesn't have a way of talking to another app like FM Go.

Ideally, I'd like to give users the option of creating a new record, via a button push, then populate fields based on some of the data scanned from their drivers license.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Jim

• 1. Re: Magnetic Stripe Reader into FM Go
          PSI

Jim,

The short answer is there isn't any! Unlike a computer where you can plug in a USB mag reader and it just becomes another input device, this doesn't work on the iOS. I am in the process of building an app for my product CCQ-FM which is a credit card processing solution. We have it working on the iPad but the card number etc has to be manually entered.

I will have more info on this app. by next week

John Morina

Pueblo System, Inc.

CCQ-FM, Inc.

jdornbos wrote:

I've been trying to locate a magnetic stripe reader (MSR) that can transfer the swiped information in to FM Go. I was (wrongly) assuming that a msr could be set to work as alternate keyboard input, and just spit it's data into the selected field. It seems that every msr I look at is written to interface with its own app and doesn't have a way of talking to another app like FM Go.

Ideally, I'd like to give users the option of creating a new record, via a button push, then populate fields based on some of the data scanned from their drivers license.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Jim

• 2. Re: Magnetic Stripe Reader into FM Go
            kibiz

Hi,

We done extensive research to find a third party CC mag strip reader also.  We currently are using the web viewer with PHP to process credit cards via Authorize.Net in our iPad POS app KiPoint.    We are testing the iDyanamo mag strip reader made by Magtek.  The issue is that CC readers are considered devices that need to be registered perpherials according to Apple.  So, an iOS app needs to communicate directly with the CC reader to register it.  The iDynamo (http://www.magtek.com/V2/products/secure-card-reader-authenticators/iDynamo.asp)  offer a SDK in XCode to create your own iOS app.   The iDynamo encrypts the data, and then the app send the encrypted data to the Web service to process the credit card.

The challenge is then devise a URL Scheme to communicate from FM Go to the iOS cc app which then communicates with the CC reader.  Reading Bar codes with FM Go works in a similar manner.  

If, you are looking for a Reader that may not encrypt the data, you could also check out the other product from Magtek called Bullet  (http://www.magtek.com/v2/products/secure-card-reader-authenticators/bullet.asp)   However, this may not work for swiping driver's licenses.  But, Magtek would be a good resource to check out, as they might have another reader you could use.

HTH

Allen Imbarrato

KiBiz Systems 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Magnetic Stripe Reader into FM Go
              jdornbos

Thanks for the reply, Allen. The folks at CNS Barcode have devised exactly that URL scheme for communicating from FM Go to iOS app and back again. I'm hoping they'll decide to develop an iOS app for Magnetic Stripe Readers like they currently have for scanning barcodes.

http://www.cnsplug-ins.com/iOS/CNS_Barcode

If that fails, I'll try the folks at magtek.

Thanks,

Jim

• 4. Re: Magnetic Stripe Reader into FM Go
                PSI

Actually there are mag stripe readers for the iPad/iPhone available. I use ones from ID Tech. For the desktop they are programmable and easy to setup. But as you have found the iOS version is not easy to integrate into the iOS. We are in the process of writing an app. that will work with these readers and be able to send the data to FM GO and run a script.

This will work with my product CCQ-FM to process cc transactions but basically it will bridge the gap between the reader and FM GO. Stay tuned...

John Morina

Pueblo Systems, Inc.

CCQ-FM, Inc.

jdornbos wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Allen. The folks at CNS Barcode have devised exactly that URL scheme for communicating from FM Go to iOS app and back again. I'm hoping they'll decide to develop an iOS app for Magnetic Stripe Readers like they currently have for scanning barcodes.

http://www.cnsplug-ins.com/iOS/CNS_Barcode

If that fails, I'll try the folks at magtek.

Thanks,

Jim

• 5. Re: Magnetic Stripe Reader into FM Go
                  BeatriceBeaubien

Hi John and Jim,

Blue-skying here, and apologies if I've missed the obvious...

Would it be possible for MSR's to be programmed to send a URL, using the FMP7SCRIPT URL protocol? If an MSR can be programmed to pull the mag stripe data, create a a string, parse and pass it to the iOS Safari app, that is all that is needed for FM Go to receive the information specifying the location and name of the file, the (optional) username and password, the script, the script parameters, and possible variables. The format would be "fmp7script://...".

Further info: <http://bit.ly/9rm04k>

Bar codes can do it. Can MSR's be programmed to do it?

Thanks for any clarification.

All the best,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

On Feb 1, 2012, at 13:42, PSI wrote

created by PSI in FileMaker Go - View the full discussion

Actually there are mag stripe readers for the iPad/iPhone available. I use ones from ID Tech. For the desktop they are programmable and easy to setup. But as you have found the iOS version is not easy to integrate into the iOS. We are in the process of writing an app. that will work with these readers and be able to send the data to FM GO and run a script.

This will work with my product CCQ-FM to process cc transactions but basically it will bridge the gap between the reader and FM GO. Stay tuned...

John Morina

• 6. Re: Magnetic Stripe Reader into FM Go
                    kibiz

Hi,

I wanted to let everyone know on this thread, that we have finally been able to find a solution that works to process credit cards with FM Go.  We found that the CC Terminal for iPad has now been made to work with FM Go.  This app is made by InnerFence  (www.innerfence.com) and has been made to work with the $ symbol which is used by FM Go to pass parameters.   CC Terminal will allow you to connect to Authorize.net, which will then enable you to connect to any merchant account.   This was a long road to solve a seemingly simple requirement.   You can find the documentation you might need on the Innerfence web site, to learn how to construct the URL scheme to communicate between FM Go and CC terminal.

Our POS solution, KiPoint, now incorporates this solution.

Allen Imbarrato

KiBiz Systems, Inc.

www.kibizsystems.com

• 7. Re: Magnetic Stripe Reader into FM Go
                      PSI

Actually, we are in the process of submitting an iOS app called CardSwipe which will facilitate the connection between a mag stripe reader and FM GO. This app is not just for credit card transactions but will read the mag stripe of any type of card swiped and transfer the data back to FM GO.

It is programmed to work with ID Tech’s iMag Pro, Mobile Mag Stripe Reader The iMag Pro mobile reader.

The pages aren’t finished so the other links don’t work yet but you can read about it here…this has been tested with FM 12 and it works. We will be finishing the site and updating the instructions to include protocol for FM 12 fmp://

http://www.ccqfm.com/cardswipe/index.html

and here

http://www.ccqfm.com/cardswipe/integration.html

John Morina

Pueblo Systems, Inc.

CCQ-FM Inc.

O: 631.549.0969

C: 516.443.0966

john@pueblo-systems.com

• 8. Re: Magnetic Stripe Reader into FM Go
                        BeatriceBeaubien

Allen and John,

I don't have any immediate need for a MSR, but I appreciate the innovative work that went into these products and I will tuck this info away for future reference. Thanks for the update.

Best wishes,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional

• 9. Re: Magnetic Stripe Reader into FM Go
                          jdornbos

John...

Thanks for making CardSwipe available. It perfectly meets the need of reading a magnetic strip into FileMaker Go. Excellent work.

Thanks,

Jim