12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 2:18 PM by Vaughan

Viewing related data from another file without a password

rrenfrow

I have a set of files for a school district, a set for each campus. I want to make previous year's data from the previous campus available to the "next" campus. Even though I have related the prev campus files to the current campus files, it asks for a login because the login data is different for each campus.

How can I allow a campus to read-only data from the previous campus without requiring a password? I can't add the user login from the "next" campus to the last because they all have the same uername, just different password.

Hope I'm making sense.

I hope this is easy and I'm missing something here (but it will be humbling if so).

Raylene

• 1. Re: Viewing related data from another file without a password
          Vaughan

Don't make a new set of files each year, have a "Year" field in the records to differentiate them. The privilege set can be set up so that records from the previous year are read-only.

This makes reporting easier AND reduces maintenance. No good having a database system that has to be "fixed" each year.

If you still want to maintain separate sets of files per year, then you need to change the user privilege sets in the previous years files to read only and make sure that all users in the new year's files also have matching accounts and passwords in the old files.

If the previous years files also cause its previous years files to open then you'll need to change the privilege sets and maintain the accounts in those files too.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Viewing related data from another file without a password
            rrenfrow

Thanks Vaughan.  Good idea, but the campuses all have different things in their file. 

Is there any way to allow read-only view of data in a different file without entering a password in a case like this?  I know this is a security risk, but what about a scripted login to the other file?  If so, would that be when the file is opened so that each time they need to look back at data, they wouldn't have to enter the login data?

Thanks again,

Raylene

• 3. Re: Viewing related data from another file without a password
              Vaughan

Raylene Renfrow wrote:

Thanks Vaughan.  Good idea, but the campuses all have different things in their file. 

I dont understand. I thought that you wanted the Campus A 2012 files to be able to see the Campus A 2011 data. Same for Campus B, C etc -- they only see their own campus' data.

Is this correct?

You could allow read-only guest access to the files, but then *anybody* could open the files. However, if the files have the same account names and passwords in them as the "current" files then they will open without prompting, this is usually the best way to go for many reasons.

If there are many files then look at external authentication.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Viewing related data from another file without a password
                keywords

Hi Raylene,

As I understand it, anyone needing to access the previous campus records will only need to view the data, not change anything. Therefore you could use one of the following approaches:

1.     Create a "view only" account in the previous campus file and set up a script that automatically logs in via this account when a user wants to open the previous campus record

2.     Create a portal using a relationship to display any data that users need to see from the previous campus (this could be extant on each student record, or built temporarily as needed). To my way of thinking this is a preferable approach as users can see any info from the previous campus record that they need to know, without having to actually open up the file.

Hope that helps.

• 5. Re: Viewing related data from another file without a password
                  rrenfrow

Sorry I didn't make it clear.  There are 4 campuses, each with multiple grade levels.  Each campus has their own file because they have different reports, students, choices, etc.

A - elementary

B - Intermediate

C - middle

D - high school

Now principals have asked to look back at the data (read-only) of the students in their lowest grade.  IOW, Campus B, whose lowest grade level is grade 4 wants to look back at these same students when they were in the 3rd grade at campus A.  And campus C wants to look back at their lowest grade level students when they were at campus B.  That means they can see ONE grade level of their students from ONE grade level in the previous campuses files from last year.

The files are related so that the prev year's data from the prev campus can be viewed by just going to a different layout where the last year's data is displayed. 

So far, great.  BUT, when they click the button to go to the prev year's data to be viewed, it asks for a login to that file even though the data in actually being displayed in the current file.

If each campus had different usernames, I could just add the usernames and passwords to the other campuses so no login would be required.  BUT, each campus has the same usernames and different passwords.  I know, lesson learned!

There's always the option to actually bring the data into the current campus file, but then it creates a "touch it every year" problem that you mentioned.  I wanted to avoid that.  As it is now, files are saved at the end of the year on the server with a specific name pattern that can then be used to create a relationship to the previous files and there is no need to monkey with the files every year.

The more I type this, the more confusing it sounds, but it is actually not that confusing and that feature would be very helpful to all principals.

Thanks for helping with this.

Raylene

• 6. Re: Viewing related data from another file without a password
                    rrenfrow

That's what I need!  I was worried that it was a security risk to have a scripted login. 

It is set up as described in #2, where they view only one student's previous data at a time as needed.

What I didn't expect was that it would require a password even when it wasn't opening the file on the server.

THANKS for your suggestions!!

Raylene

• 7. Re: Viewing related data from another file without a password
                      rrenfrow

OH!  Just thought of something.  I could use the key field data and populate the rest of the fields on that read only layout using look ups.  That wouldn't require a login, would it?

Raylene

• 8. Re: Viewing related data from another file without a password
                        keywords

I don't think you'd even need look-ups. If you set it up as a temporary relationship you would just need calcs that populate the fields on the layout from the foreign file according to which student ID is in the temporary relationship key field.

• 9. Re: Viewing related data from another file without a password
                          Vaughan

Raylene Renfrow wrote:

What I didn't expect was that it would require a password even when it wasn't opening the file on the server.

Any time data is displayed from a file there needs to be a connection, and that connection needs to be authenticated. This happens even if a file doesn't have a window open, for example when the file's data is displayed in a portal, is used in calculations or for a lookup.

To avoid a login dialog appearing for the related file, either set the file's options to auto-login with a default account name and password, enable the guest account or ensure that the related file has the same account credentials (username and password) as the current user. FMP will try to open a file with the current user's account name and password.

Raylene Renfrow wrote:

Now principals have asked to look back at the data (read-only) of the students in their lowest grade.  IOW, Campus B, whose lowest grade level is grade 4 wants to look back at these same students when they were in the 3rd grade at campus A.  And campus C wants to look back at their lowest grade level students when they were at campus B.  That means they can see ONE grade level of their students from ONE grade level in the previous campuses files from last year.

The files are related so that the prev year's data from the prev campus can be viewed by just going to a different layout where the last year's data is displayed.

So far, great.  BUT, when they click the button to go to the prev year's data to be viewed, it asks for a login to that file even though the data in actually being displayed in the current file.

If each campus had different usernames, I could just add the usernames and passwords to the other campuses so no login would be required.  BUT, each campus has the same usernames and different passwords.  I know, lesson learned!

There's always the option to actually bring the data into the current campus file, but then it creates a "touch it every year" problem that you mentioned.  I wanted to avoid that.  As it is now, files are saved at the end of the year on the server with a specific name pattern that can then be used to create a relationship to the previous files and there is no need to monkey with the files every year.

The more I read this the more convinced I am separate years for campus files is a REALLY BAD idea and much of the complexity is caused by this arrangement. Also some work should be put into determining user accounts and privileges and standardising these between files.

I have seen several systems done like this where it all gets too hard and the guest account gets turned on, or everybody logs in with a generic "user/user" account.

• 10. Re: Viewing related data from another file without a password
                            Vaughan

keywords wrote:

1.     Create a "view only" account in the previous campus file and set up a script that automatically logs in via this account when a user wants to open the previous campus record

Can you explain how to set up a script that automatically logs into a file, thanks.

• 11. Re: Viewing related data from another file without a password
                              keywords

Fair point Vaughan; I expressed that poorly. And you are quite right with your earlier comment that even if you only want data from a related file to display in a portal, if that file can only be opened with a password then it will have to be entered or you wont see the data.

So the trick is this. If you enable the file's default Guest Account, which is read only, and set the file's open options to log in using Guest Account, but also perform a script which uses the Re-Login script step, then anyone opening the file directly will be presented with the standard dialog where they can enter Account Name and Password, just as if the open option had been set to login using an account name and password. This way, however, someone opening another file which requires remote access to or viewing of, data in this file will be automatically logged in to it via the Guest Account and the data will be visible.

• 12. Re: Viewing related data from another file without a password
                                Vaughan

keywords wrote:

So the trick is this. If you enable the file's default Guest Account...

Enabling guest access for anybody on the network to view the data without restriction is not a solution for a system that contains personal and confidential information.

The solution is to get the accounts standardised in all files. Consider implementing external authentication. Re-design the system so that files don't have to be copied and re-named each year.