4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 2:53 PM by timwhisenant

Cannot access data source when using filemaker server 11

mabels

I have filemaker server running on Window Server 2008. On my databases that are shared in Filemaker Server I cannot access ODBC data sources through the External Data Sources settings but I can import from them in scripts. I have read extensively about this and it seems all I should need to do is setup the DNS on the server that runs Filemaker Server.

I have no problem accessing the data source on these same databases if I run them locally on any machine but once I load the database onto server, I loose access.

• 1. Re: Cannot access data source when using filemaker server 11
          timwhisenant

Hi Mabels,

Let me guess, your server is a 64bit OS, right?

If so realize FileMaker Server is a 32bit program, and as such the DSN (DataSourceName) must be setup in the 32bit ODBC manager not the 64bit ODBC manager(which is the default on 64bit OS).

The file is located in the system folder like so:  C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

This is the link for windows 7, but server 2008 is also in a syswow64 directory.

HTH

Tim

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cannot access data source when using filemaker server 11
            mabels

Wow.  I wish I had met you a long time ago.  That is awesome.  Just opened up a whole new would for us.

• 3. Re: Cannot access data source when using filemaker server 11
              Stephen Huston

And, after you have the ODBC source corrected (per Tim), keep in mind that any Server-scheduled scripts might still not be able to read the ODBC data while running server-side instead of clinet-triggered.

For some reason, Servers can only read "server-local" data during script executions, though client machines can read multiple data servers just fine. I wish that would get fixed.

If the ODBC connection is working, test any server-scheduled script that uses the ODBC source before assuming it will run without error.

• 4. Re: Cannot access data source when using filemaker server 11
                timwhisenant

Hi Mabels,

Glad to be of assistance. Maybe someday Filemaker will be fully 64bit software. Also be aware that ESS (External Sequel Source) by its nature goes both ways, so if you wish a read only connection, set it up on the SQL side. You can delete a whole table if you’re not careful. Kind of like a steak knife, very good at dinner time, but watch out for the fingers. Ouch.

I got to go, all this talk of dinner is making me hungry.

Tim

Timothy R Whisenant

Plastic Fusion Fabricators, Inc.