mabels, what version of FMServer are you using? If FMS11 or FMSA11, you can check the compability of the script steps to see if they will run or not on the server.
How are the scripts "aborting"? do they not run? do they run partially and stop? do they just skip steps?
In the FMS11/FMSA11 admin Console can Create a Schedule and select a script to run.
Perhaps this document (Server Help) would be of assistance? http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/fms/fms11_help.pdf
If you need to run scripts which include either
- client-only supported script steps, or
- scripts which read across multiple servers.
then the script must be run from the Client, FM Pro/Adv instead of the server.
However, that requires something triggering the script to run on a client with the correct file open to call the script. Either a robot client computer running scripts onTimer, or a live user triggering them when it's time. (Some developers have used AppleScript on Macs for similar activities.)
So, if you want the scripts to run on their own on a schedule, you will need to do all of the following:
- use only server-compatible script steps, and
- do not attempt to read from files located elsewhere than on the local FM server location, and
- have the file where the script is located located on FM Server and set a schedule in the server admin panel to run that script at the appropriate schedule with credentials which have appropriate file access.
No, FMS does not require FMP to be installed on the server machine.
As others have noted, not all script steps are compatible with FMS. Make sure that scripts running server-side have no incompatible steps. If an incompatible step is needed then you'll have to run the scripts in FMP client on a "robot" machine .