5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2012 9:20 AM by todor

Print Script Options

coloradokid

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to tell FileMaker how many copies I want through a script. By grabbing a number from a number field?

• 1. Re: Print Script Options
          todor

If we have a database with two global number fields "n_copy" for the number of copies needed and a counter "n" we can use a script like this:

Go to Layout [ the layout that you want to print ]

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Number of copies"; Message: ; Buttons: "OK", "Cancel", ""; Input #1: n_copy, "" ]

If [ Status( CurrentMode) = 2 ]

Go to Layout [ original layout ]

Halt Script

End If

If [ n_copy <= 0 ]

Halt Script

End If

Set Field [ n, 1 ]

Loop

Print [ No dialog ]

Exit Loop If [ n = n_copy ]

Set Field [ n, n+1 ]

End Loop

The script ask for the number of copies needed. If the user provide a strict positive number then a number of copies equal with this number will be printed. If the user provide a negative number, a zero or pushes "escape" nothing wil happen.

If by mistake an extremly high number is provided the time to process the script could be prohibited so a superior limit could be checked.

The script is working since version 6.

• 2. Re: Print Script Options
            coloradokid

Thanks Todor, I as afraid this was going to be the answer. I was hoping the was a way to insert number directly into the print dialog box but maybe someday. It just seams so cumbersome to do it this way especially if you have 8 forms that you may want to print as many as 60 copy's. But I do appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

• 3. Re: Print Script Options
              timwhisenant

Coloradokid (would address you by name but alas you did not sign your post),

Why not use a custom dialog to get the number? Or have a defaults table and have the script read the default number? In either case set the printing loop to follow and there you have it n copies. I personally use a custom dialog to accomplish this.

Tim

Timothy R Whisenant

Plastic Fusion Fabricators, Inc.

• 4. Re: Print Script Options

Todor,

There is a potential your script may crash if you exceed a certain number of pages (about 20 to 40) if you print that way.

Please read  ]

If

Loop

Print

Set Variable

Exit Loop If [ $n < 1 ]

End Loop

End If

Go to Layout

Remember that one print job per page takes significantly longer to print than specifying the number of pages for one print job.

Winfried

• 5. Re: Print Script Options
                  todor

If there are many layouts to print we can change the line

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Number of copies"; Message: ; Buttons: "OK", "Cancel", ""; Input #1: n_copy, "" ]

to ask the number of layout to print (field "n_layout" from below):

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Number of copies, number of layout"; Message: ; Buttons: "OK", "Cancel", ""; Input #1: n_copy, ""; Input

#2: n_layout, "" ]

If [ not ( n_layout = 1 or n_layout = 2 or n_layout or n_layout = 3 or n_layout = 4 or n_layout = 5 or n_layout = 6 or n_layout = 7 or n_layout

= 8 ) ]

Halt Script

End If

We added three lines in the scrip to check the number of layout to print. Of course numbers 1 to 8 can be put in accordance with the real number of script from your database.