5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 10:14 AM by LaRetta

Pop up Script Question

pkennedy

Why does the following pop up window cause the previous or primary layout in my case to restore down?

You might recognize the code from the Bonsai Gardens template used in the training software. In case that helps.

What would I need to add/remove so that the previous layout doesn't restore down?

test.jpg

• 1. Re: Pop up Script Question
          RayCologon

pkennedy wrote:

Why does the following pop up window cause the previous or primary layout in my case to restore down?  ...  What would I need to add/remove so that the previous layout doesn't restore down?

Hi pkennedy,

Curious what you mean by "restore down" in this context. It's not a term that's normally used with respect to layouts.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 2. Re: Pop up Script Question
            pkennedy

Web definition:
            Reduces the window to the size it was before it was maximized..

The maximize button toggles to restore down.

1.jpgMinimize, maximize, restore down and close

• 3. Re: Pop up Script Question

Hi pkennedy,

Ray has a good question.  But restore down usually means that the window has dropped out of maximize?  If this is what you mean then you can handle it in a few ways ... you can capture the window position at start of script and re-set it to maximize if top is 0 and left is 0 or just return it to the size and position when it started.

Kevin Frank also has a custom function which handles it: http://www.briandunning.com/cf/1061

I usually design windows not maximized but maximum size and return them to that state.  But windows Users continually double-click the title bar to maximize and that's just what we deal with.

• 4. Re: Pop up Script Question
                pkennedy

Success. Setting them to 0 removed the jumping that was taking place upon opening the popup. I'd still prefer it set to maximized without the jumping but this will have to do unless anyone else has any ideas..

Thank You

• 5. Re: Pop up Script Question

That is one of the issues when working with windows in Windows - in FM you cannot maintain a maximized window when opening another window.   

If you always want the windows maximized, you can use script trigger OnLayoutEnter and/or you can modify your scripts by adding Adjust Window [ Maximize ] immediately following Close Window. 

ADDED:  I sometimes will move/resize top & left to both -1500 (on main layout) to improve the looks if opening two or three pop-up windows (for side-by-size display of various data-sets.  But most times, the User wants to view the underlying data as well as the pop-up (which is why we usually pop).  If you force maximize it might be a jarring experience for those that were in a smaller window state.

I tend to stay away from trying to control a User's windows.  BTW, I too hope others chime in as well.

Message was edited by: LaRetta