9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 6:37 AM by MallieWilliams

Just Learning FileMaker and Need Help

dcwells

Hello,

I have done some developement in Access and am now trying to create something in FileMaker that is driving me nuts. I want to create a database that, after information is entered, will export and html and .smil file to create a synced streaming media page. The info that will be entered in will be project title, speaker, etc., but also timing information on each slide presented. I was hoping to have one page to enter the info, then an import button that will allow you to import a text file with the slide number, title and time the slide changed. I want these items to be displayed on one page so you can adjust the timings of when the slide enters. I thought this would be easy to to have one table with project info, then another table that would be linked that would hold the slides info. I created the slide info Table and imported a very simple file:

Slide01 Slide Title One 00:00:00

Slide02 Slide Title Two 00:00:10

Slide03 Slide Title Three 00:00:20

Silde04 Slide Title Four 00:00:30

Slide05 Slide Title Five 00:00:40

The problem I have is that it created five seperate records and I am not sure how to have it display one record with any number of entries.

I don't really know FileMaker or database tools for that reason - I'm a video guy who is just trying to create a tool where I can mass produce content. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

• 1. Re: Just Learning FileMaker and Need Help
          comment

dcwells wrote:

The problem I have is that it created five seperate records and I am not sure how to have it display one record with any number of entries.

That is not a problem - on the contrary, that's how it should be. Ideally, you'd have TWO tables, one for Projects and one for Slides, related by ProjectID. To display all of the project's slides at once, you can use a portal to Slides placed on a layout of Projects.

• 2. Re: Just Learning FileMaker and Need Help
            dcwells

Thanks Michael,

I thought that's what I had to do - now for a really stupid question - I have the two tables with a ProjectID field.  How do I link them so when I import the file, it grabs to ID from the first table and includes it into every record imported - is it a script?

Thanks again,

• 3. Re: Just Learning FileMaker and Need Help
              BruceHerbach

Hi,

One way would be to set the ID field to be an auto enter field that uses a variable to set the value.  Then have the import script set the variable before it does the import.  When the records are imported,  the ID field will populate with the value of the variabel and complete the relationship.

Hope this helps

Bruce

• 4. Re: Just Learning FileMaker and Need Help
                comment

Another way is to populate the ProjectID immediately after the (scripted) import, as part of the same script. For example:

Go to Layout [ Slides ]

Import Records [...]

Replace Field Contents [ Slides::ProjectID ; Get (ScriptParameter} ]

Go to Layout [ original layout ]

If you call this script from a button on a layout of Projects, with  script parameter = Projects::ProjectID, the imported slides will be linked to the currently viewed project.

---

Note that in a practical implementation you'd want to protect against a careless user aborting the import and continuing the script - thus wreaking havoc on whatever records happened to be in the found set of Slides. Replace Field Contents [] is a very sharp sword and needs to be sheathed.

Message was edited by: Michael Horak

• 5. Re: Just Learning FileMaker and Need Help
                  beverly

dcwells, did you get an answer on this part of your question? Do you know how you are going to do this? .smil (xml) and .html are both TEXT and FileMaker exports text just fine. Sometimes, it's how you assemble the text for export that is the real question.

Beverly

On 28 Jan 2012, at 9:14 PM, dcwells wrote in whole or in part:

I want to create a database that, after information is entered, will export and html and .smil file to create a synced streaming media page.

• 6. Re: Just Learning FileMaker and Need Help
                    dcwells

Thanks for the help.  I tried to get the ID working from the hints above but have not had any luck.  I am going to buy a book and give it another try - can anyone recommend a guide?

thanks,

• 7. Re: Just Learning FileMaker and Need Help
                      BruceHerbach

Hi,

There are a number of good books out there.  Take a look at these two for a start,   FileMaker Pro 11 the missing manual by Susan Prosser & Stuart Gripman and  The FilMaker Pro 10 Bible by Ray Cologon.  Both books go throught the basics well.  I think that the missing manual series is geared more for beginners, and the Pro 10 Bible does a good job of going into some of the more advanced scripting.  Ray's Website has a lot of great examples/templates. 

Don't be concerned about the Ray's book being written for 10.  Everything in it applies to 11.  A few of the script functions have been renamed and there some new features.  Apparently it wasn't big enough to get Ray to write an 11 version. 

At one time you could get the missing manual book as an App for the iPhone.  Not sure if it is still available.

Hope this is helpful

Bruce

• 8. Re: Just Learning FileMaker and Need Help
                        dcwells

Thanks for everone's help.  I have bought a book and have worked through many of the issues that first had me stumped.  I have moved on to greater and more complex problems now!  Here's my latest post:  https://fmdev.filemaker.com/thread/62745

thanks!

• 9. Re: Just Learning FileMaker and Need Help
                          MallieWilliams

What book are you using for FileMaker 12 Pro? Did the book come with any downloadable templetes or video?