7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2012 7:37 AM by Tom_Droz

Filemaker Recovery Finds Deleted Table and Images

Tom_Droz

I recently ran recovery on a good database just to see if it would report any errors.

I was surprised to find it 'recovered' 2 tables I had previously removed. The tables are not on my layouts or are they in my relationship graph. How can I find and remove these so they would not reappear when I run recover?

Also I had a table show up that had all the graphics I have imported in to Filemaker (via Filemaker’s insert command). That doesn’t seem right. Is there some better way to bring graphics in to Filemaker that will not show up as a new table when you run a recover?

Thanks in advance for any ideas how to resolve and prevent this in the future.

Tom

• 1. Re: Filemaker Recovery Finds Deleted Table and Images
          RayCologon

Hi Tom,

If the file's integrity is intact, Recover won't recover anything. The fact that it does signifies that your file has structural damage, and recover is moving into "salvage operation" mode - that's why you're seeing the deleted elements reappearing.

I'm afraid that the safest (and therefore, in my view, correct) answer to your problem is to go back through your backups until you find a file that passes through the Recover procedure without any problems being reported, and then use that copy of the file (making whatever changes to it are necessary to bring it up to date.

Sorry the news is not better.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 2. Re: Filemaker Recovery Finds Deleted Table and Images
            gdurniak

Recover does have a "clean-up" step, that detects "stranded" ( no longer referenced ) library data ( often images ), and creates a new table, with one container field, and records that point to the stranded data. FileMaker says the appearance of this "Recovered Library" or "Recovered Blob", by itself, is not an indication of corruption, since Library data can get "stranded", even in a "healthy" file, and is now cleaned up.

So part of what you see may be normal

greg

• 3. Re: Filemaker Recovery Finds Deleted Table and Images
              Tom_Droz

Greg

Thanks that is helpful, I am not sure how it got 'stranded'.

Ray The two tables it is finding I deleted so long ago, any backup that far back would be useless.  The file works fine, I only did a recover as an experiment.   The recovery log showed no errors except for the three recovered table.  

Tom

• 4. Re: Filemaker Recovery Finds Deleted Table and Images
                RayCologon

Tom_Droz wrote:

Ray The two tables it is finding I deleted so long ago, any backup that far back would be useless.  The file works fine, I only did a recover as an experiment.   The recovery log showed no errors except for the three recovered table. 

Hi Tom,

I'm afraid you've misunderstood me. I wasn't suggesting going back to a backup from before the two tables were deleted. I was suggesting going back to find a backup that will recover without attempting to restore "lost" data. Reallly not the same thing at all.

It is *possible* that you'd have to go a long way back to find a copy of the file that passes the Recover unscathed, but it's equally possible - even likely - that a relatively recent file will suffice.

Tom_Droz wrote:

The file works fine, I only did a recover as an experiment.   The recovery log showed no errors except for the three recovered table.

Running a Recover procedure periodically to check the state of a file is good practice. If the procedure completes without making any changes to the file you still have no guarantees that the file is sound, but it rules out a number of the likely candidate 'issues'.

While it's good that the fiule is working fine at present, the fact that the Recover is restoring components it deems to be missing or lost suggests that there are some unresolved pointer records between blocks in the file - and that therefore the file's structure has an integrity issue.

It's entirely up to you whether you choose to do anything about it - you *may* never have a problem. Just as some people build on a fault line and never experience an earthquake. ;)

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 5. Re: Filemaker Recovery Finds Deleted Table and Images
                  Stephen Huston

Hi Tom,

If these files had been Served at the time of your talbe deletions, AND never opened off-Server until the recover process, I have another idea.

I have noticed that files must be opened and closed in FM Pro-Adv while in single-user (unServed) mode for the file to optimize and discard unused blocks.

If the files had not been opened off-line since the table deletions, it is possible they had never gone thru the self-optimization done during a real closing of the files, so the blocks of that schema/data were still part of the file when the recovery happened.

Just an idea,

Stephen Huston

• 6. Re: Filemaker Recovery Finds Deleted Table and Images
                    gdurniak

So, if you Save A Copy As Compacted first, then Recover, the file may turn out OK

Note: When Server shuts down, it should also do "clean up" . That's why it takes so long to close databases

Recover really needs a "Verify Structure" Option,  that might report  "Hey, you've got some left over table junk in your file"

greg

>I have noticed that files must be opened and closed in FM Pro-Adv while in single-user (unServed) mode for the file to optimize and discard unused blocks.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Recovery Finds Deleted Table and Images
                      Tom_Droz

Thanks Steve, Greg & Ray

I had previously tried all the above with no luck

I went through and deleted elements of the database and periodically reran recover.  I eventually deleted all layouts, tables, scripts, etc and still the database finds 2 tables I deleted a year and a half ago and one 'blog' of all properly imported images (since deleted!) .  Very discouraging that I cannot 'find it' and fix it.

Tom