6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 6:39 AM by pkennedy

Send Mail

pkennedy

Occasional i would like to toggle back to filemaker to check data or change something after using the send mail script but

filemaker waits on the outside application to send/close or the user to cancel the request.

Is there another method of accomplishing this?

Using the built in email script under Miscellaneous.

Os. Windows XP Pro

(FM 11 server/client)

• 1. Re: Send Mail
          RayCologon

pkennedy wrote:

Occasional i would like to toggle back to filemaker to check data or change something after using the send mail script but

filemaker waits on the outside application to send/close or the user to cancel the request.

Hi pkennedy,

That's not been my experience. After the Send Mail[ ] step executes, FileMaker proceeds with any subsequent script steps without waiting for the email client, or if that's the last step in the script, the script concludes and FileMaker stands idle.

So, unless I'm misunderstanding you, I suspect there is something else going on - such as a subsequent Pause/Resume Script[ ] step in the script - that causes FileMaker to be in a suspended/waiting state?

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 2. Re: Send Mail
            pkennedy

send mail.jpg

It doesn't allow me to toggle back until the message is sent or I press cancel.. I could just send the email but again this is just checking for relative data before processing that wasn't included in the send mail script. In order to see this script I have to cancel the out-going message.

Thoughts?

• 3. Re: Send Mail
              DLarsen

Hello PKennedy,

Yes, that's the behavior I see with Filemaker on Windows running Outlook as the mail client. Filemaker does indeed become locked until you either send or cancel the email. I think this is Windows only problem or maybe its just an Outlook problem, I don't know for sure but what you're seeing is normal for me.

There is no way that I know of to make that behavior go away but if you're using FM to launch a simple email message there is a nice workaround. Instead of using SEND MAIL use OPEN URL and make the calculation like this:

"mailto:" & TableName::EmailAddress

This will open a new message and populate the TO box with the email address and not leave Filemaker in a state of waiting. There is additional benefit in that it will insert your standard signature line as well.  With SEND MAIL, Outlook's standard signature line(s) is/are missing.

The downside to using "mailto:" is that you can't reliably fill in the body section, at least I haven't found a way.  If you want more information on this method google "mailto syntax".

• 4. Re: Send Mail
                DLarsen

Oh, one more thing; If you want to suppress the message asking whether you want to continue with the script just place a Set Error Capture [On] somewhere before Send Mail. This won't fix the hanging problem but it will keep that message from appearing.

• 5. Re: Send Mail
                  pkennedy
                  • 6. Re: Send Mail
                    pkennedy

End Result looked something like this...

1.jpg