5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2013 2:20 PM by Malcolm

Controlling Toolbar behaviour

Malcolm

I'm noticing a problem with the toolbar in FMGo on the iPad. I wonder if it deserves to be called a bug or several bugs.

I have a layout which is considerably smaller than the iPad screen.

Objects stretch to fill the screen area.

Toolbars are accessible but hidden by default.

Areas at the top and the bottom of the screen are designed to be user button strips.

When I enter a field the keyboard and the toolbar appears. The layout moves up so that the top of the field is at the top of the screen. The top button strip is hidden. The bottom button strip is hidden.

When I hide the keyboard using the keyboard docking button the toolbar remains on the screen. The toolbar overlays the bottom of the layout. The layout moves down a little but not all the way back. The layout objects that stretch are stretched but the top of the screen containing the buttons are off-screen.

Result: The top and the bottom of the screen are not accessible to the user.

If I go to the tools menu and switch Show Toolbar to ON we get a much better result. The screen is sized to account for the toolbar. The layout still moves up to bring the top of the field to the top of the screen but after editing fields the screen snaps back to the correct position.

Question 1: Should the toolbar appear above the keyboard when entering a field for editing when it was not being displayed prior?

Question 1 a: Should the toolbar remain onscreen when the keyboard has been hidden by the user tapping the keyboard docking button?

Question 1 b: Should the toolbar overlay (obscure) the bottom of the screen when the keyboard has been hidden by the user tapping the keyboard docking button?

Question 1 b: Putting it another way: When the keyboard has been hidden by the user tapping the keyboard docking button, should the screen resize in the same way that it does when "Show Toolbar" is set to ON?

Is anyone else experiencing problems with this?

• 1. Re: Controlling Toolbar behaviour
          skywillmott

Hi,

I am currently working on a FileMaker Go file and would like to completely hide all of the toolbars etc, including the one that appears when the keyboard pops up, i.e. with the Previous/Next buttons which are meant for 'tabbing' into fields.

I've managed to almost get what I want by turning the file into running in 'kiosk mode' for non admin accounts by using FileMaker pro advanced... However still cannot find a way to hide the tab navigation bar that appears with the keyboard, so if anyone has an answer to this, would be great to hear..... I did try turning off all tab navigation in FMP, but that didn't work....

Sky

• 2. Re: Controlling Toolbar behaviour
            Malcolm

My feeling is that the toolbar state should be respected. If it is off it should remain off and vice versa.

Does the toolbar display when it has been hidden and locked? That's a serious problem. Locking the toolbar/statusbar is a method of locking the user to the current record. Any system that relies on this behaviour will be compromised on fmGo.

Malcolm

• 3. Re: Controlling Toolbar behaviour
              rickstricker

I agree that not being able to control the bottom toolbar is a terrible design decision on FM's part.

My app is designed to work with an external keyboard with the ipad sitting up like a screen, but still requires user to interact by touching the ipad screen.  When the toolbar appears, this causes buttons to be more difficult to touch as sometimes the layout will scroll.  This makes for a terrible user experience!

Why is this toolbar even necessary?  There is absolutely nothing in the toolbar that my users should have access to.  Please patch this and release ASAP!

• 4. Re: Controlling Toolbar behaviour
                rickstricker

So after a bit more digging, I discovered that kiosk mode will accomplish what I'm looking for.  Not exactly the way I wanted to implement this, but it definitely does the job.

• 5. Re: Controlling Toolbar behaviour
                  Malcolm

I can't remember seeing that in the documentation. Though it's probably only one sentence anyway

There are so many differences between the behaviour of the database on the desktop and the behaviour of the database on Go. Value lists and Keyboard input being high on the list. Some things you can work around but Kiosk mode is not one of them. It would be nice to have a developer version of Go that allowed us to set a few switches, like switching kiosk mode on/off.