12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 8:06 AM by BruceRobertson

Get list of filenames from a different server or location using applescript in filemaker.

lutfishah

Hi All,

I need a bit of help.

Basically I'm trying to get list of filenames in a folder from a different server or location into filemaker database by using apple script.

The apple script is keep on giving me errors with regards to the path (e.g: Can’t get every file of /Volumes/Test_LowRes".)

This is how the apple script looks like.

Screen shot 2012-01-31 at 14.48.10.png
      I'm not good with apple scripts ; )
      I'm using FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced and mac10.6.8.
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Get list of filenames from a different server or location using applescript in filemaker.
          pminich

I think that it is in how your are forming the file path. I am by no means an apple script guru but I tend to use the mac friendly form in which case it would look something like "DriveName:Volumes:Test_LowRes".

Set that to a variable as an alias and then use that variable in the line - set x to filenames of variable

I would highly recommend using the Script Master plugin for this if possible. The ListAllFilesInDirectory function returns a value list of the files that you can then do with as you like. Speaking from experience it is a heck of a lot easier than going "outside" filemaker.

• 2. Re: Get list of filenames from a different server or location using applescript in filemaker.
            BruceRobertson

Please post your script as text. Nobody is going to re-enter it or test it from your image.

• 3. Re: Get list of filenames from a different server or location using applescript in filemaker.
              lutfishah

Many thanks for the replyb pminich : )

I think I do have a script master plugin.

Would it be possible to give an example of using ListAllFilesDirectory function. I'm using a script in filemaker which "mounts" the

location of the server on my computer. Then could you tell me what should be my next step.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Get list of filenames from a different server or location using applescript in filemaker.
                lutfishah

Oh Sorry

on filenames from _folder

tell application "Finder"

mount volume "smb://192.168.210.12/Test_LowRes"

set _filenames to name of every file of _folder

set _extensions to name extension of every file of _folder

end tell

set _names to {}

repeat with n from 1 to count of _filenames

set _filename to item n of _filenames

set _extension to item n of _extensions

if _extension is not "" then

set _length to (count of _filename) - (count of _extension) - 1

set end of _names to text 1 thru _length of _filename

else

set end of _names to _filename

end if

end repeat

return _names

end filenames

set x to filenames from ("/Volumes/Test_LowRes")

tell application "TextEdit"

activate

make new document

set _names to {}

set text of document 1 to x as text

end tell

• 5. Re: Get list of filenames from a different server or location using applescript in filemaker.
                  pminich

Here is how I read in a list of file names for fils that are automatically imported into the database. I put the file names into a variable and then enter them into a table.

1. Read in all the files in the store directory into a value list

Set Variable [ $fileList; Value:ListAllFilesInDirectory( "/Volumes/" & $filePath & "/" & $storeDirectory ) ]

#

1. Create a table with all the file names in the store directory by looping through the value list of the file listing

Go to Layout

1. Clear out old entries

Show All Records

Delete All Records

1. Set looping variables

Set Variable $numberOfFiles; Value:ValueCount ( $fileList ) Set Variable $fileNumber; Value:1

Loop

New Record/Request

Set Field [ ImportFiles_imprtfls::ImportFile_lxt; // GetValue ( $fileList ; $fileNumber )

Let ( [ rawFile = Substitute ( GetValue ( $fileList ; $fileNumber ) ; "/" ; ¶ ) ; count = ValueCount ( rawFile ) ] ;

GetValue ( rawFile ; count ) ) ]

Commit Records/Requests

Set Variable $fileNumber; Value:$fileNumber + 1 Exit Loop If

End Loop

• 6. Re: Get list of filenames from a different server or location using applescript in filemaker.
                    BruceRobertson

You are not referring to the folder properly.

every file of folder _folder

• 7. Re: Get list of filenames from a different server or location using applescript in filemaker.
                      BruceRobertson

on filenames from _folder

set smbdrive to "smb://192.168.210.12/Test_LowRes"

-- or send user name and password

-- set smbdrive to "smb://username:password@192.168.210.12/Test_LowRes"

mount volume smbdrive

set _filenames to name of every file of folder _folder

set _extensions to name extension of every file of folder _folder

end tell

set _names to {}

repeat with n from 1 to count of _filenames

set _filename to item n of _filenames

set _extension to item n of _extensions

if _extension is not "" then

set _length to (count of _filename) - (count of _extension) - 1

set end of _names to text 1 thru _length of _filename

else

set end of _names to _filename

end if

end repeat

return _names

end filenames

set targetFolder to "Test_LowRes"

-- use colons for subfolders

-- set targetFolder to "Test_LowRes:subfolder"

set x to filenames from targetFolder

tell application "TextEdit"

activate

make new document

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to return

set text of document 1 to x as text

end tell

• 8. Re: Get list of filenames from a different server or location using applescript in filemaker.
                        ch0c0halic

May have bit off more than a few file,

"file://Volumes/Test_LowRes" is not a valid path.

First, using "file://" is not acceptable, its a folder.

Second, the Mac OS is Unix and it uses ":" colons in the path.

I'd try using:

":Volumes:Test_LowRes:"

Or maybe just ":Test_LowRes:" since this is the mounted location.

My code looks like this and results in the field "gdestination_folder_contents" having a list of file names from the "Shared" folder on my hard drive. I haven't tried it for a mounted volume. However, I think it will work the same.

set oldDelimiters to AppleScript's text item delimiters

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to return

set gdestfile to name of entire contents of folder "my_computer:Users:Shared:" as text

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldDelimiters

end tell

set cell "gdestination_folder_contents" to gdestfile

• 9. Re: Get list of filenames from a different server or location using applescript in filemaker.
                          BruceRobertson

You're mixing up UNIX and Finder.

FINDER uses colons in the file path.

The underlying UNIX uses POSIX paths, which use /

• 10. Re: Get list of filenames from a different server or location using applescript in filemaker.
                            lutfishah

It worked for me : )

Many thanks BruceRobertson. One more thing that if I wanna get the filenames in the folder and the sub-folders at the same time then what needs to be added on the above script.

really appriciate your help.

Thanks

• 11. Re: Get list of filenames from a different server or location using applescript in filemaker.
                              pminich

To do this you will need to check for any nested folders inside the

original folder. I would do this by recursively calling a handler to do the

heavy lifting.

This is a fair bit more involved. There is a script master function that

would handle this very nicely - GetAllFilesRecursively provides the files

in a value list with the path to each.

-- iPad

Pete Minich

Direct/FaceTime/Text - 781.223.8884

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may

be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you

receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in

any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,

distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.

Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the

message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer

system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.