14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2012 10:54 AM by karendweaver

repeating fields

jball

in my purchase order, i have the "line item" etc fields set to be repeating up to 50 entries. I just found out i am getting a 470 line item PO coming soon. I don't want every PO to show that many repeating fileds, is there a way to only make the fields repeat as needed?

• 1. Re: repeating fields
          comment

You shouldn't be using repeating fields at all for this. Instead, you should have a separate table for your line items - see the demo posted here:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/309136/

• 2. Re: repeating fields
            jball

That would be nice, but each of our line items are special ordered nuclear fan parts.  I have no set list of what might be ordered, each client uses their own numbers and descriptions.

• 3. Re: repeating fields
              comment

What difference does it make? The point is that each line item should be a record. Then each PO can have exactly as many line items it needs - no more and no less.

• 4. Re: repeating fields
                jball

I’ll work on this and let you know if I can get it going.  Thanks for your helpJ

• 5. Re: repeating fields
                  jball

ok, i'm completely new at any database setup....with no background in computers at all..............and i can't get this to work:(  i have the "line item" layout.  i created the merged fields in my PO layout and they are not connecting somehow.  I think i am in way over my head.  I simply wanted the po to have unlimited line items that would hide when not in use.

• 6. Re: repeating fields
                    skywillmott

Hi there,

You might want to take a look at the 'Purchase Orders' Starter Solution that comes with a standard FileMaker Pro install, or otherwise the very basic file I've attached might help you get started...

all the best,

Sky.

• 7. Re: repeating fields
                      RayCologon

jball wrote:

ok, i'm completely new at any database setup....with no background in computers at all..............and i can't get this to work:(  i have the "line item" layout.  i created the merged fields in my PO layout and they are not connecting somehow.  I think i am in way over my head.  I simply wanted the po to have unlimited line items that would hide when not in use.

Hi jball,

See attached example (you'll need to extract it from the archive before opening it).

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 8. Re: repeating fields
                        RayCologon

skywillmott wrote:

...or otherwise the very basic file I've attached might help you get started...

Hi Sky,

Looks like we cross-posted.

Oh well - better to have two examples than one, I guess! emoticon.png

Cheers,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 9. Re: repeating fields
                          jball

Due to company standards I have to use a certain layout with certain info.  I’ve attached my mess for you to see what I’m dealing with, and what I am trying to accomplish.  I’ve also attached the “copy” that shows the changes recommended.

• 10. Re: repeating fields
                            skywillmott

Agreed - it does look a bit of a mess... but can certainly be sorted out to make it a lot more user friendly (as well as a bit easier on the eyes ), as well as to make it function in a much smarter way....

... if you need someone to do it, I'm sure I could have a go for you....

All best,

Sky.

• 11. Re: repeating fields
                              jball

Feel free.  I’ve been at this thing for a month and it might drive me crazy.  Computers are not my area of expertise!

• 12. Re: repeating fields
                                karendweaver

Even better - if you are new to databases AND computers - get the FileMaker Training Series - for a limited time it is available to you as a Technet member for $9.99.  Buy it, read it (at least the first 5 chapters), do the exercises, this will all make a LOT more sense to you very quickly and you will benefit much more from the advice on these forums if you have some basic knowledge of what you are trying to do.

If you had spent the last month with the training series, instead of wrestling with figuring it out the hard way, you'd be done by now with a lot less discomfort.

warm regards,

Karen Weaver

• 13. Re: repeating fields
                                  jball

Sadly enough I watched the online training videos and have a book to followL

• 14. Re: repeating fields
                                    karendweaver

I do not know what book you are following, but most "books" on FileMaker do not take a beginner through everything step by step, as the training series does.  I recommended it specifically because you mentioned not understanding databases or computers.

The online training videos show you how to do specific tasks, mostly related to flat files.  You need to understand databases, relationships, fields, tables, and a lot more.

It is of course up to you, but I stand by my advice if you want to learn to do this for yourself without hiring a pro.  People on this list will definitely help you, but you will get more out of it in a lot less time and frustration if you learn some things about databases first. 

Learning how to operate the machinery, like pushing the gas, the brake, and the steering on a car, does not necessarily prepare you for a cross-country trip on the interstate, where you have to read maps, pump gas, watch out for traffic and cows in the road.  You might be able to do it, but it will take at least twice as long and it will not be a relaxing trip!

warm regards,

Karen