1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 2, 2012 3:35 AM by RayCologon

danielle-gwa

I am looking for some help with allowing more than one user account to login to my database at once.

I have saved our database on our apple time capsule and I have set up 5 accounts within my database for 5 different users with either full access or a set privelege allowance. When I log in the database does not allow another user to log in and a waring message appears stating that permisssion has beemn denied. Has anyone any idea why this is happening and how I would go about fixing this issue?

Please help as soon as possible

Danielle- FileMaker developer.

• 1. Re: Log in problem
          RayCologon

danielle-gwa wrote:

I am looking for some help with allowing more than one user account to login to my database at once.

I have saved our database on our apple time capsule and I have set up 5 accounts within my database for 5 different users with either full access or a set privelege allowance. When I log in  the database does not allow another user to log in and a waring message appears stating that permisssion has beemn denied. Has anyone any idea why this is happening and how I would go about fixing this issue?

Please help as soon as possible

Danielle- FileMaker developer.

Hello Danielle,

An individual database file on disk can be opened by only one copy of FileMaker at a time, and that's why you're getting errors - and in fact, it's not advisable to place database files in a shared directory.

To have multiple users access the file at the same time, you should instead locate the file on a local (not shared) directory, open it in FIleMaker Pro, then choose File>Sharing>FileMaker Network... and in the resulting dialog, enable Network Sharing using the radio buttons at the top, then select the file in the list box and make it available to all users or specific groups of users. Once you've done that, the file is hosted on your computer using FileMaker Pro.

With the file hosted as described above, users wanting to log into the database over the network from other computers will be able to do so by opening FileMaker Pro and choosing File>Open Remote. If they're located on the same network subnet, they'll likely see your computer listed and will be able to select it and see a list of the available (hosted) files and will be able to select and open the file as a guest of your computer. If they don't see your computer listed, then may have to add it's IP Address (the one that was displayed in the FileMaker Network... dialog when you configured the sharing settings on your copy of FileMaker).

If you expect to do this frequently, or for more than a small number of users, or if your solution is important/critical to your work, you should probably consider investing in a copy of FileMaker Server (which is designed to host files in a more robust and flexible fashion) and run it on a dedicated computer. But for short-term needs with small numbers (such as the 5 you've mentioned...) you'll be able to get started hosting files with FileMaker Pro.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------