2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2012 10:07 AM by RayCologon

Ideas for incorporating filters/find in List view

trlewis3

I am working a project/tasks type application. The Tasks layout uses a List view. I put a drop down with a script trigger to deal with Sorting. Now I'm trying to determine a way to do Finds. I know what and how to do this. What I'd like to know what techniques others have used for the interface. I've seen non-FM apps where there is set of empty fields between the column headers and the first row of data that can be used for capture the criteria for Finds. My problem is that someone may want multiple criteria in on field (Active and On Hold in Status field). I could do this in a seperate layout. I'm just looking for some examples of layout options.

• 1. Re: Ideas for incorporating filters/find in List view
          Mike_Mitchell

Hi, trlewis3.

One technique you can use (if you want multiple find criteria) is to use a checkbox set on a global field, combined with an OnModify script trigger. Put it in the header, above your fields. When the user clicks in a checkbox, have the script fire to narrow the found set.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Ideas for incorporating filters/find in List view
            RayCologon

trlewis3 wrote:

...What I'd like to know what techniques others have used for the interface.  I've seen non-FM apps where there is set of empty fields between the column headers and the first row of data that can be used for capture the criteria for Finds.  My problem is that someone may want multiple criteria in on field (Active and On Hold in Status field).

Hi trlewis3,

As you suggest, there are various ways to model the interface to account for a range of scenarios and user requirements. FWIW, one such example is shown in a (free, unlocked) demo at the following link:

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com/demosX/demoX02.html

In this case, users can select a field or combination of fields to search on, as well as entering a search string. The demo implementation is pretty basic, just to show the idea, but of course the approach is extensible and can be adapted take account of a range of needs.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------