1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2012 10:02 AM by jball

Purchase order problem

jball

I hve a purchase order problem, I need upto 500 individual line items on my PO form. I've tried creating a portal set to a "line items" table....no luck. I don't want individual records per line item, i want it all on one layout (form) and don't kno whow to make it happen. NO line item will be identical, so setting up an inventory list wouldn't work. I'd also like to hide the blank line items, is this at all possible in filemaker??

• 1. Re: Purchase order problem
          Mike_Mitchell

Janice -

You need a separate line items table where each record is a line item. (Yeah, I know, that's not what you want, but it's what you need.)   

To make it happen on one form, set up your layout to be based on the Line Items table. The Body part has one line item record in it, in List View. Then you can create Header, Title Header, or Subsummary parts, as needed, to add the PO information.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Purchase order problem
            RayCologon

jball wrote:

I hve a purchase order problem, I need upto 500 individual line items on my PO form.  I've tried creating a portal set to a "line items" table....no luck.  I don't want individual records per line item, i want it all on one layout (form) and don't kno whow to make it happen.  NO line item will be identical, so setting up an inventory list wouldn't work.  I'd also like to hide the blank line items, is this at all possible in filemaker??

Hi jball,

You've said you tried creating a portal, but "....no luck". I'd be curious to know more about what the problem was when you tried to create a portal, it might be easier to advise you about what to do differently.

That said, a portal, which can be set to display any number of line items on one layout within the view of a single record (in the table the layout is based on) is indeed a good option for achieving exactly what you've described.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 3. Re: Purchase order problem
              jball

When I created the portal, it didn’t pull in any information.  The other problem is that each line item has to be visible for printing and invoicing.  I’m not sure what the best way to achieve this is, but I’m not sure that entering each line item into a table and then pulling it into the PO form is most time efficient.  Each PO will have different items and amounts of lines.  They will not be something you could pull from an inventory, each product is custom.  That being said, I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, but I’m not having any luck with thisL

• 4. Re: Purchase order problem
                beverly

jball, typically with Purchase Orders there are at least two tables:

Parent (Purchase Order details)

Child (line items for the PO)

there are also at least two layouts:

from Parent - Form View, for data entry and contains portal for Child line items

from Child - List View, for reporting

The report from Child uses subsummary or header part with the Parent Information (related field). If you FIND the single PO, the report is ready to print and will adjust the number of pages, according to how many child records there are. If you have multiple PO's, a sort by subsummary (parent), will allow you to PAGE BREAK for each one. That way the Parent is at the top of each PO, and a new page is begun for the next one.

You can script (with or without button) a GTRR (go to related record) from a parent and choose to select only the related records. This automatically FINDS those line items.

this is an OLD TIP: print from the line items.

HTH,

Beverly

• 5. Re: Purchase order problem
                  jball

That sounds good.  The only problem is that I have no idea what I'm doing, so I'll have to look into how to do all that.  Thanks for the advice though:)  I'll play around with it and see what I can get to work. 

• 6. Re: Purchase order problem
                    RayCologon

jball wrote:

When I created the portal, it didn’t pull in any information.

Hi jball (Janice?),

A portal will "pull in" the information you tell it to, and it does that by using the relationship you base it on. You therefore need a relationship between the Order table and the Line Items table that matches on an OrderID field (by whatever name) in each table.

You still haven't said how yours was set up, so it's hard to say why it didn't work, but if you set it up the way I've described it will work fine.

jball wrote:

The other problem is that each line item has to be visible for printing and invoicing.

Absolutely. So as well as assigning the portal to a relationship that's set up appropriately, you also need to configure the portal to show enough rows to ensure that all the line items will be in view, and/or you need to include a scroll bar on the portal so that additional rows can be accessed for data entry (in which case you'll likely want/need a separate layout for printing).

jball wrote:

I’m not sure what the best way to achieve this is, but I’m not sure that entering each line item into a table and then pulling it into the PO form is most time efficient.

No, you shouldn't have to enter the line items anywhere else but in the portal itself. If you enable the relationship option to "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" for the line items side of the relationship the portal is based on, users will be able to enter data into the portal directly, every time they start a new row in the portal, a new line item record will automatically be created (they never need to visit the line items table) and FileMaker will automatically fill in the keys to manage the connections between line items and the relevant order.

jball wrote:

Each PO will have different items and amounts of lines.  They will not be something you could pull from an inventory, each product is custom.  That being said, I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, but I’m not having any luck with thisL

...and each portal will show different items and different numbers of lines, exactly according to what has been entered.

Perhaps if you try setting it up the way I've described above, you might have more luck.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 7. Re: Purchase order problem
                      comment

jball wrote:

Each PO will have different items and amounts of lines.  They will not be something you could pull from an inventory, each product is custom. 

I believe you are dragging this issue out, starting with:

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/thread/62534

There can be no doubt that each line item should be a separate record in the LineItems table. Everything else is merely a question of implementation, which you seem to have some difficulties with.

• 8. Re: Purchase order problem
                        RayCologon

Beverly Voth wrote:

...this is an OLD TIP: print from the line items.

Hi Beverly,

I have to say that's not a tip I routinely follow. I'm aware that quite a few folk believe it to be a hard and fast rule (I'm not suggesting that you do...) but I've found some situations where printing orders from a layout based on the Orders table (where the line items appear in a portal) has worked absolutely fine.

I would agree, however, that where the orders may frequently span multiple pages with indeterminately large numbers of line items (more than will fit on one page), pagination and the arrangement of summary info is often easiest handled the way you've described (scripted GTRR to a print layout based on the child table). But even then, it's not the only option.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 9. Re: Purchase order problem
                          jball

I agree with you, I’m having a hard time getting the implementation down pat.

• 10. Re: Purchase order problem
                            beverly

Yes, Ray! I have printed portals. The MULTIPLE PAGES is the reason to print from the line items, that and sliding issues with tall fields.

I think I was trying to make the point that the line items (child) records can be used to report and also showing the parent information (in the top of the page, or every page, even in the footer or on each record, if desired). This is often not known to new comers to FileMaker.

Beverly

• 11. Re: Purchase order problem
                              comment

jball wrote:

I agree with you, I’m having a hard time getting the implementation down pat.

Does the attached demo make sense to you?

• 12. Re: Purchase order problem
                                jball

it makes sense, I'm just having trouble making it exactly the same and functional.

• 13. Re: Purchase order problem
                                  RayCologon

jball wrote:

it makes sense, I'm just having trouble making it exactly the same and functional.

Hi jball,

On the thread that Michael linked to in his last-but-one post, two of us provided you with fully functional demos showing how the tables relationship and portal should be set up, and describing the setup in some detail. Now Michael has provided you with a third excellent example.

At this point, if you're having difficulty getting the functionality into your solution, it might be helpful if you started identifying the specific problems you're having. If there are things in the demos that you don't understand or that don't work the same way once you attempt to recreate them, once you describe the problem, I'm sure folk here will be happy to offer further explanation or assistance.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 14. Re: Purchase order problem
                                    jball

I appreciate your patience.  I have created a line items table, and layout.  I then created a portal in my PO layout to pull the info from the line items table, but can’t enter any data into it.  I’m sure there is a solution and that I am just getting confused as I am trying to do this while working as well.  I’ve attached my chaos for you to see and give suggestions as to where I messed up and how to correct my mistakes.   Thanks for bearing with meJ

1 2 Previous Next