6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2012 9:16 AM by Vyke

Displaying records vertically

JeffPenner

A real-estate database needs a side-by-side comparison of properties, up to 5 or 6, with 10+ fields of data arranged vertically below each property. I'm wondering how others are solving this issue. html in a web viewer? create a temporary table with the data? Can't seem to think through this on!

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Penner

Winnipeg, Canada

• 1. Re: Displaying records vertically
          comment

JeffPenner wrote:

a side-by-side comparison of properties, up to 5 or 6,

You could use 5 or 6 one-row portals, with the initial row of each increasing by 1 relative to its neighbor. Of course, you would also need a relationship matching the selected 5 or 6 properties.

Portal filtering is another option - provided the total number of properties isn't too large.

• 2. Re: Displaying records vertically
            RayCologon

Michael Horak wrote:

...Portal filtering is another option - provided the total number of properties isn't too large.

Yes - why not use just two portals (with several 'tall' rows apiece) side by side. That should be simpler to implement (than a larger number of one-row portals) and provide an adequate basis for comparison.

Also, Jeff, portal rows can be whatever size you need, so there should be no problem fitting the 10+ fields of data in each row, and they can be set to expand (using anchor points) with the window if needed.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 3. Re: Displaying records vertically
              comment

Ray Cologon wrote:

Yes - why not use just two portals (with several 'tall' rows apiece) side by side.

You need as many portals as the number of properties you want to compare. Jeff indicated "up to 5 or 6, with 10+ fields of data" - so that would mean 5 or 6 portals, each showing 10+fields in a single "tall" row.

• 4. Re: Displaying records vertically
                RayCologon

Michael Horak wrote:

You need as many portals as the number of properties you want to compare...

Hi Michael,

I see what you're saying. I was reading Jeff as wanting 5 or 6 properties beside 5 or 6 other properties - but I think you're right that the requirement is for a single horizontal arrangement that's 5 or 6 properties wide. In which case, yes, multiple single-row portals would be needed.

All the best,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 5. Re: Displaying records vertically
                  JeffPenner

Yes, the multiple single-row tall portals will work well in this case.  This data will also need to be exported to Word, so I started playing with some HTML in looping scripts last night and found that that would be another solution.  I need 1 loop for every field I want to write to HTML, but once that's established it's pretty straight-forward.  Thanks for your help.

BTW, Ray, I just purchased the FM Pro 9 Bible and wish I'd bought it long ago.  I always hesitated because I only got on board at FM Pro 10, but everything's still very relevant!  Good work.

• 6. Re: Displaying records vertically
                    Vyke

I have one in my current system. List layout with "columns" for individual assignment records. It utiluzes repeating fields, with the value living as a list in the main record. The repeating fields are filled in using

ValueCount ( FilterValues ( List ( ListField ) ; g_GlobalList[Get ( CalculationRepetitionNumber )] ) )

Where ListField is the primary relational filter and g_GlobalList is the secondary.