10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2012 8:31 AM by JohnSindelar

Check-In and Check-Out records

arminius

Hello,

im new here and i want to know if i can handle the following things with Filemaker.

I currently plan a solution for persons that working in the field.

The Database is hosted on a server and the persons will connect over Filemaker GO.

All files are stored on the server. Is it possible to check-out a record and store this record to the F-GO?

In the hosted database a note must appear that this record is checked out by "User X".

The User must make a check-In with the new information and this will be uploaded to the server.

Also i want to knwo if i can limited the records that the User can check-Out and if Filemaker can handle a lifetime of a record.

Many thanks for your help and ideas.

Arminius

• 1. Re: Check-In and Check-Out records
          Malcolm

On 08/02/2012, at 8:25 AM, arminius :

I currently plan a solution for persons that working in the field.

The Database is hosted on a server and the persons will connect over Filemaker GO.

All files are stored on the server. Is it possible to check-out a record and store this record to the F-GO?

yes, but you need to set it up with some care.

You need to create a database for the iPad. It can connect to the server and import the records it needs.

In the hosted database a note must appear that this record is checked out by "User X".

It can also set a field "checked out" to the ID of the user who has the record.

The User must make a check-In with the new information and this will be uploaded to the server.

Upon their return, the database on the iPad can trigger an import script on the server to pull in all the new data

Also i want to knwo if i can limited the records that the User can check-Out and if Filemaker can handle a lifetime of a record.

User Accounts, Privilege Sets, Extended Privileges or simple data level checks can all be used to determine which records a user sees.

I don't know what you mean by "if Filemaker can handle a lifetime of a record". Do you mean, can it track changes to the record over time? If so, yes it can but you will need to build that sort of functionality into your system.

malcolm

• 2. Re: Check-In and Check-Out records
            RayCologon

Malcolm wrote:

Upon their return, the database on the iPad can trigger an import script on the server to pull in all the new data

Hi Malcolm,

For this part of the requirement, it may be better to have the file on FMG locate records that are ready to be uploaded and cycle through them writing data to the host and updating the status fields on the host record. In otherwords 'push' the data back to the host selectively, rather than relying on the host to attempt to pull the data back. By contrast, an import from the hosted file 'pulls' the data but doesn't provide the option to re-set status flags intelligently/conditionally.

That aside, I agree that further elaboration from Arminius would be helpful regarding the meaning of the "lifetime of a record" requirement. FileMaker can almost certainly handle it, but it's hard to confirm that without some additional detail about what is meant.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 3. Re: Check-In and Check-Out records
              Malcolm

Yes, It's probably easier to do this. It also allows you to set related data relatively easily by cycling through portals.

It's an interesting area. I'm still experimenting with the methodology but I'm favouring a controller ( an intermediary file that sits on the server which negotiates between Go and the app on FMS ) to push data back to the server and which will, simultaneously, control/maintain data on the Go side.

The method would be to use related records and push data across the relationship.

Message was edited by Malcolm because the <st*@ f#> Jive platform deleted the contents of my email

• 4. Re: Check-In and Check-Out records
                RayCologon

Malcolm wrote:

Hi Malcolm,

It looks as though your post may have fallen into the forum email black hole.

Care to repost it?

Cheers,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 5. Re: Check-In and Check-Out records
                  arminius

Hello Malcom,

thanks for your note.

With lifetime i mean a timeframe till the record is not usable or viewable anymore.

F.e. I will download a record today and i will be in vacation for 2 days. But the record have a lifetime from 1 day. I can not see this  record anymore or i will see a notification window.

Backgrounf. We handel here many information from customers (bank details, illness.....) and we must be shure that only persons with the rights have this information. When a person lose the IPAD the person how find it have maybe access to the stored details (worst case). So when we have a self destroy function :-) this will help :-D

Armin

• 6. Re: Check-In and Check-Out records
                    RayCologon

arminius wrote:

When a person lose the IPAD the person how find it have maybe access to the stored details (worst case). So when we have a self destroy function :-) this will help :-D

Hi Armin,

With your clarification we can now see what you had in mind regarding the 'lifetime' comment, and I can confirm that mechanisms can be created in FileMaker to handle it. There are various options, such as storing a data expiration date and time (timestamp) and setting up triggers to display a record prior to its expiration or delete it if it has expired. Or alternatively, with the data expiration timestamp in place, access privileges can be configured to deny access to expired data. There are some other options as well, depending on what kind of interface and interaction model is desired.

So - in the context of your original question - yes, there are a variety of options for implementing this kind of functionality.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 7. Re: Check-In and Check-Out records
                      kaostika

Not sure if this helps.  But if you use a Global Table rather than the table that holds the records you force the user to 'load' thet data into the globals.  Then you can lock the records and say it is being used by someone.

Oreste

• 8. Re: Check-In and Check-Out records
                        RayCologon

Malcolm wrote:

...I'm favouring a controller ( an intermediary file that sits on the server which negotiates between Go and the app on FMS ) to push data back to the server and which will, simultaneously, control/maintain data on the Go side.

Hi Malcolm,

Yes, except I'd recommend that the intermediary/controller file sit on the device rather than the server. Several reasons for this - one being that a controller file on the device can have file references (External Data Sources) that point to the database on the iOS device and also to the hosted file and therefore can have TOs of both and can intelligently shunt data between them, whereas a controller on the server will be blind to the file on the device (ie it can't have an embedded EDS reference to the file deployed on a remote/mobile device and consequently can't have TO pointers to it).

An additional consideration - unfolding from the above - is that having the intermediary file on the device allows for a setup where the main end-user file doesn't require any table occurrences to either the controller or the hosted file, and having no dependencies will therefore not 'bark' or stall if the iOS device is out of range and the connection to the host is lost.

That said, I agree with the controller file concept and think it's an important element of the topology for a free-roaming FMG deployment.

Cheers,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 9. Re: Check-In and Check-Out records
                          Malcolm

On 09/02/2012, at 3:24 AM, arminius:

With lifetime i mean a timeframe till the record is not usable or viewable anymore.

F.e. I will download a record today and i will be in vacation for 2 days. But the record have a lifetime from 1 day. I can not see this  record anymore or i will see a notification window.

Backgrounf. We handel here many information from customers (bank details, illness.....) and we must be shure that only persons with the rights have this information. When a person lose the IPAD the person how find it have maybe access to the stored details (worst case). So when we have a self destroy function this will help :-D

You can handle this using Privilege Sets. Aside from allowing/denying access to fields/layouts/tables it is possible to create special rules. As an example, you could have a date based restriction

Get(CurrentDate) - Date of Download < 2

This allows users with privilege to access the records the ability to see the record for two days. After that,  permission will be denied.

Malcolm

• 10. Re: Check-In and Check-Out records
                            JohnSindelar

Love the intermediary file; we use this in GoZync and one of the other benefits is that for some transactions you don't need to open the "mothership" solution at all, meaning your connection is faster and lighter weight. The intermediary file can also have a simple schema and lighter (no) index, so making records there is also faster.

As for the idea of checking records out: we do that in our GoZync deployments often, and it is built into Worx.

Checkout this post by Todd Geist on giving mobile users only what they need at a specific time and place: http://www.geistinteractive.com/2012/02/09/time-and-place/

Good stuff.

- John

John Sindelar

SeedCode LLC

FileMaker Pro Calendar Templates

tel. (855) 733-3263

http://www.seedcode.com