4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2012 6:07 PM by lylacinc

FileMaker Server 9 Instant Web Publishing

lylacinc

I am working with a group who has FileMaker Pro Server 9. I am not 100% sure at this point whether or not it is FileMaker Server 9 Advanced, as the person who installed the software for them is unavailable for the next few weeks.

They would like to use instant web publishing. When I go into Server Admin, it tells me I need to start the web publishing engine. Will I need to do a reinstall of the software in order to turn this on or is there another way to start the web publishing engine. How can I tell if they do have Server Advanced from the Admin Console?

Thanks for your help!

Lynda

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 9 Instant Web Publishing
          beverly

First there must be a web server software installed. Do you know if the computer has web server software (typically IIS on Windows and Apache on Mac)? Then ports need to be open to web publish (including instant web publishing).

Do you have the documentation for FileMaker Server 9, Lynda?

Start the Web Publishing Engine is as simple as clicking the icon in the admin console. This is a green arrow inside a circle with two gears behind it. But you must have the FileMaker Server Advanced, as you know and the other things need to be set up for web publishing.

Also, while you are in the admin console, you should have access to FileMaker Server Help.

Beverly

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server 9 Instant Web Publishing
            lylacinc

Thank you Beverly.  For all the years I've been at the FileMaker game, I've been lucky to work with institutions that had their own IT dept and I haven't had to get invovled in configuring servers or networking issues.  

I was hoping that my inability to simply start the web publishing engine was just me overseeing the obvious.  However, it looks like I need to get back to basics and read the manual. 

Thanks Beverly!  I appreciate your help!

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 9 Instant Web Publishing
              beverly

Lynda, I meant to say, do you HAVE these documents? FMS9 is a few back. Email me off list if you can't find them.

Bev

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server 9 Instant Web Publishing
                lylacinc

Thanks Bev, will do!