13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 12:42 AM by RubenVanDenBoogaard

Filemaker runtimes

pedantic

I am trying to build a set of runtimes.

The company has a large number of customers to whom we send runtimes every year. The data in the runtime is specific to the customer, so that customer A does not have the same data set as customer B, and so on. In the past we created one runtime, then processed the data for each customer, dropped the data into an empty database then dropped the freshly minted database into the runtime, and then burned the whole thing to a CD and sent it off to the customer. Here's the step-by-step process:

0. Prepare the runtime file set.

1. Empty the master table.

2. Import the data set for one customer into the master table.

3. Do some quick processing to ensure a good set of data.

4. Make the working shell to be used with the runtime from an empty database shell. Both are empty of data at the end of this step.

5. Populate the working shell with data from the master table.

6. Drop the working shell into the runtime file set.

7. Burn the runtime to CD and send it off to the customer.

8. Start over at step 1.

In the above process (as I understand it) once the runtime was created, the database could be interchanged without difficulty.

I have been given the task of upgrading this system to FM11. However, it seems that we will have to create a fresh runtime for each customer. What I mean is that the process above is now changed to the following:

1. Empty the master table.

2. Import the data set for one customer into the master table.

3. Do some quick processing to ensure a good set of data.

4. Make the working shell to be used with the runtime from an empty database shell. Both are empty of data at the end of this step.

5. Populate the working shell with data from the master table.

6. Compile a new runtime file set.

7. Burn the runtime to CD and send it off to the customer.

8. Start over at step 1.

I hope the difference is clear. The current, if ancient process compiled a runtime once, the future process compiles the runtime afresh for each customer. Is there a way to compile a runtime once and then place the new data into the runtime as in the first process?

This process is currently run by non-technical people, and we would like to keep it that way, so whatever additional steps need to be taken should be as simple as possible.

TIA.

John

• 1. Re: Filemaker runtimes
          PSI

Hi John,

What makes you think you can't do the same thing with FM 11?

I'm not sure what version you are coming from but you can still create one runtime and swap out the file(s) as needed. you can even use the same database for both mac and windows runtimes. But you have to create runtimes for each platform separately.

John Morina

Pueblo Systems, Inc.

pedantic wrote:

I am trying to build a set of runtimes.

The company has a large number of customers to whom we send runtimes every year.  The data in the runtime is specific to the customer, so that customer A does not have the same data set as customer B, and so on.  In the past we created one runtime, then processed the data for each customer,  dropped the data into an empty database then dropped the freshly minted database into the runtime, and then burned the whole thing to a CD and sent it off to the customer.  Here's the step-by-step process:

0.  Prepare the runtime file set.

1.  Empty the master table.

2.  Import the data set for one customer into the master table.

3.  Do some quick processing to ensure a good set of data.

4.  Make the working shell to be used with the runtime from an empty database shell.  Both are empty of data at the end of this step.

5.  Populate the working shell with data from the master table.

6.  Drop the working shell into the runtime file set.

7.  Burn the runtime to CD and send it off to the customer.

8.  Start over at step 1.

In the above process (as I understand it) once the runtime was created, the database could be interchanged without difficulty.

I have been given the task of upgrading this system to FM11.  However, it seems that we will have to create a fresh runtime for each customer.  What I mean is that the process above is now changed to the following:

1.  Empty the master table.

2.  Import the data set for one customer into the master table.

3.  Do some quick processing to ensure a good set of data.

4.  Make the working shell to be used with the runtime from an empty database shell.  Both are empty of data at the end of this step.

5.  Populate the working shell with data from the master table.

6.  Compile a new runtime file set.

7.  Burn the runtime to CD and send it off to the customer.

8.  Start over at step 1.

I hope the difference is clear.  The current, if ancient process compiled a runtime once, the future process compiles the runtime afresh for each customer.  Is there a way to compile a runtime once and then place the new data into the runtime as in the first process?

This process is currently run by non-technical people, and we would like to keep it that way, so whatever additional steps need to be taken should be as simple as possible.

TIA.

John

• 2. Re: Filemaker runtimes
            pedantic

Hi John.  Thanks for responding. 

Please be advised that though I am an experienced programmer, I am really new to FM.  I don't know all the tricks yet.

Why do I think I cannot do this thing?  I guess because I tried it and when I swapped out the new database for the old database, both named the same, I got an error.  Is there some secret?  Like perhaps the file swapped should not be the primary file?

• 3. Re: Filemaker runtimes
              PSI

When you say old database do you mean the on from the previous runtime? If so you need to rebind that file with the new runtime when it's created. When you create a runtime the database file is bound to the runtime. So you can't use the old file from the previous runtime...make sense...

temp.PNG

John

pedantic wrote:

Hi John.  Thanks for responding. 

Please be advised that though I am an experienced programmer, I am really new to FM.  I don't know all the tricks yet.

Why do I think I cannot do this thing?  I guess because I tried it and when I swapped out the new database for the old database, both named the same, I got an error.  Is there some secret?  Like perhaps the file swapped should not be the primary file?

• 4. Re: Filemaker runtimes
                ch0c0halic

Pedantic may be opening the right lock with the wrong key,

The runtime Binding Key is the important part. The runtime engine and the file both get that Binding key and the Runtime is only allowed to open files that contain that key. If you bind a new copy/version of the file using the same Binding key as the original Binding then the new file can be opened by the original Runtime engine.

• 5. Re: Filemaker runtimes
                  RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi John,

If you bind a database into a runtime say, Solution.fp7 to Solution.USR, you can always update the Solution.USR using a regular version of FileMaker and burn it to CD (with the other runtime files)

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl

• 6. Re: Filemaker runtimes
                    Stephen Huston

But be aware that if the previous binding was done under an earlier version of FM, that will remain the Runtime Engine version until the files are rebound with the newer version.

This also means that a runtime which was bound in 10 and then had a file updated in 11 but not rebound still won't support version 11 features, only version 10 features.

• 7. Re: Filemaker runtimes
                      pedantic

No, when I say “old database” I mean the database that was bound originally with the FM 11 runtime.  The “new database” was meant to mean the database with new data.  I removed the old database (the database originally bound with the FM11 runtime) and replaced it with the new database.  I apologize for the lack of clarity in my explanation.

R,

John

• 8. Re: Filemaker runtimes
                        pedantic

How is this done?  Please point me to the documentation that discusses this…I am always happy to do my own leg work when possible.

• 9. Re: Filemaker runtimes
                          pedantic

Thanks Ruben.  And that’s what I will do if I can’t figure out how to use the binding key as suggested by PSI and ch0cah0lic.

• 10. Re: Filemaker runtimes
                            pedantic

In light of the above messages, I tried this approach:

1.  Compiled the project into a runtime.  The primary database in the project is Database.USR. It is included in the compile as the primary.  Provided a binding key.

2.  Copied the bound Database.USR back into the original folder.

3.  Updated Database.USR in the original folder.

4.  Copied Database.USR back into the runtime.

5.  Copied the whole runtime to a fresh Mac so there would be no interference between FM11 and the runtime.

6.  Attempted to run the runtime.  I got this error message:

"The primary file"Database" is either not part of the application, is damaged, or is already open."

This message was followed by an Open File dialog.  I walked the tree to

Database.USR in the runtime, clicked on the file and received the followup message:

"This file cannot be opened because it does not belong to this application."

What am I doing wrong?

R,

John

• 11. Re: Filemaker runtimes
                              Stephen Huston

Hi John,

It is hard to tell quite what you are doing that may be a problem.

My suggestion would be to Create the data-less runtime from scratch.

The copy that entire runtime folder to another Mac with FM11 installed, and Control-click on the data-file to open it with FM11 instead of the runtime. Import the data, quit FileMaker, and you are ready to go with the copy of the runtime.

You can use the original copy (on the binding computer) to create a FULL copy of the Runtime folder ready for importing data at any time. Just don't mess with the original runtime folder except to copy it, and all of the copies should be fine as they are created and populated.

See if that works for you.

I have numerous runtime systems where I swap out the data-file for different groups, and have no problmes with any of them after switching data-files or after having opened them in FM11, os I know this can be a simple process. As I said, it's hard to tell quite why what you are doing isn't working for you, but my idea may avoid any file mixing for you.

Stephen Huston

• 12. Re: Filemaker runtimes
                                ch0c0halic

John may be USR approachable,

Is it possible there is more than one runtime on the 'fresh computer'?

BTW, since .USR is the default it isn't good to use it. Everyone does and that's why most of the time you have problems with double-clicking a file and the OS choosing the wrong runtime.

• 13. Re: Filemaker runtimes
                                  RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi John,

Your approach should work. 

Dit you try the runtime on the other computer just after the compiling?

I found that if there are plugin's used in the runtime and there are plugin's in the User/Library/Application Support/FileMaker folder there could be a problem with FM 11 runtimes (FM 10 runtimes seem to have less trouble with this).

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl