pedantic

Filemaker runtimes

Discussion created by pedantic on Feb 7, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 by RubenVanDenBoogaard

I am trying to build a set of runtimes.

The company has a large number of customers to whom we send runtimes every year. The data in the runtime is specific to the customer, so that customer A does not have the same data set as customer B, and so on. In the past we created one runtime, then processed the data for each customer, dropped the data into an empty database then dropped the freshly minted database into the runtime, and then burned the whole thing to a CD and sent it off to the customer. Here's the step-by-step process:

0. Prepare the runtime file set.

1. Empty the master table.

2. Import the data set for one customer into the master table.

3. Do some quick processing to ensure a good set of data.

4. Make the working shell to be used with the runtime from an empty database shell. Both are empty of data at the end of this step.

5. Populate the working shell with data from the master table.

6. Drop the working shell into the runtime file set.

7. Burn the runtime to CD and send it off to the customer.

8. Start over at step 1.

In the above process (as I understand it) once the runtime was created, the database could be interchanged without difficulty.

I have been given the task of upgrading this system to FM11. However, it seems that we will have to create a fresh runtime for each customer. What I mean is that the process above is now changed to the following:

1. Empty the master table.

2. Import the data set for one customer into the master table.

3. Do some quick processing to ensure a good set of data.

4. Make the working shell to be used with the runtime from an empty database shell. Both are empty of data at the end of this step.

5. Populate the working shell with data from the master table.

6. Compile a new runtime file set.

7. Burn the runtime to CD and send it off to the customer.

8. Start over at step 1.

I hope the difference is clear. The current, if ancient process compiled a runtime once, the future process compiles the runtime afresh for each customer. Is there a way to compile a runtime once and then place the new data into the runtime as in the first process?

This process is currently run by non-technical people, and we would like to keep it that way, so whatever additional steps need to be taken should be as simple as possible.

TIA.

John

Outcomes