8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2012 1:24 PM by cooldan

Envelope Printing and custom page set ups with OS X Lion

Hey folks, I have a client who recently upgraded his mac to OS X Lion and his FileMaker 11.v4 will no longer print either to the envelope page set up or a custom page set up he had used previously. He's using a Xerox printer with a manual paper feed which will print to these page set ups fine from other applications. Has anyone seen this and know of the solution?

Peace,

Christi

• 1. Re: Envelope Printing and custom page set ups with OS X Lion
          techt

Just to clarify, other applications from the same computer print to the Xerox printer? I ask in case the upgraded Mac needs to have it's drivers updated for the printer.

I'm guessing this same solution was working on this same computer prior to the upgrades. Is the printing managed within a script? If so, what happens if you try to print the information manually (find a record, set Page Setup, and then Print)?

HTH,

Tim

• 2. Re: Envelope Printing and custom page set ups with OS X Lion
            jmedema

Hey, guess who! (hope you, Bob and the kids are all groovy!)

I'm not up on everything Lion, so there may be some issues surrounding updates to printer drivers, etc., but here are some FM-based thoughts to help dig around and see if any corruption has been introduced to the script, layout, etc. You've probably already done most of this, but here it is nonetheless.

I've encountered odd situations where nothing is obvious and ferreting around was the only way to figure out what, specifically, was at the root of the problem. To that end, here are some rabbit, err "ferret" holes to wander down:

• Be sure the client has uploaded the most recent printer drivers and check their compatibility with Lion at the manufacturer's website. Your search may end there if there's a known incompatibility.
            • If it hasn't been done lately, un-host the file, Save-as-Compacted, and re-host the file and try again. Sometimes the "rejiggering" that happens in this process clears up unexplainable flukes in database behavior.
            • Consider building an identical script from scratch, or at least the part that includes the custom page setups, and see if that will work. (May point to possible script corruption)
            • Consider building a new layout from scratch and use it in your new script (map point to possible layout corruption - be sure to test it prior to inserting any graphic objects like logos that may be corrupted)
            • Consider a new layout with completely different fields (may point to field corruption)

Hope this helps!

Jim

• 3. Re: Envelope Printing and custom page set ups with OS X Lion

Yes, other applications can print using both envelopes and the custom page set ups and the solution worked before the upgrade.  The printer's drivers are up to date, and the same problem exists both in the script and from manually printing.  I'll try some of Jim's suggestions about rebuilding the layout to see if a layout corruption was the cause and compacting the file as well. We already tried rebuilding the custom page set up and that came closer to working (ie it printed on regular paper  in the correct orientation, but the printer still won't accept the smaller paper size in the manual tray).  It seems so much like a printer problem that I want to say it's not filemaker except that other programs are printing normally to the same printer.

peace,

Christi

• 4. Re: Envelope Printing and custom page set ups with OS X Lion
                RayCologon

Hi Christi,

Given that the problem still occurs when you try to print manually, I think you can rule out the script as the source of the issue. And while corruption is not out of the question, it's not the most likely cause either (unless you have specific other symptoms that point to corruption, I'd be inclined to view it as the 'explanation of last recourse').

Instead, my suspicion is that the problem arises from some change in the way the print driver receives input parameters from FileMaker under Lion (and/or with the more recent drivers that were installed when your client updated the OS).

The first thing I'd suggest is ensuring that the layouts in question are set for fixed margins and that they preview correctly, including with respect to page dimensions. Then try changing print settings (including printer-specific settings) for page size, scaling etc to see if that makes any difference.

If you don't get any joy from that, the next think I'd suggest is creating a very simple (text only) layout in a brand new file, configuring it to print in the relevant size and see if you can reproduce the problem.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 5. Re: Envelope Printing and custom page set ups with OS X Lion
                  ch0c0halic

Christi may have an OS 'like new',

After an OS upgrade I have heard of a printer setup being corrupted. The solution was to delete the printer definition from the OS and create a new one for it.

I don't know if this will solve your problem or just be an excursive in futility. But its worth shot.

• 6. Re: Envelope Printing and custom page set ups with OS X Lion

Thanks everyone who responded so far.  Unfortunately, I've tried all these suggestions already plus rebuilding the custom print set up and none of them made a difference.  If any new ideas come to me and if any of them solve this, I'll post in case anyone else runs into this sometime in the future.

peace,

Christi

• 7. Re: Envelope Printing and custom page set ups with OS X Lion
                      RayCologon

christipalme wrote:

...I've tried all these suggestions...

Hi Christi,

So, what happened when you created very simple (text only) layout in a brand new file and configured it to print in the relevant size. Did the new test file also have the problem?

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 8. Re: Envelope Printing and custom page set ups with OS X Lion
                        cooldan

I have solved the problem, but I don't know if it will work with everyone. The problem occurs when you have  Adobe Acrobat 7.0 on your MAC prior to Mac Lion. An extension/plugin from Adobe "Adobe PDFPDE700". It is listed in Print selections as "Unsupported PDFPDE700".

To cure the problem, open you filemake database that you print any "reverse page orientations" from, select all files, export all files to an text file or FMP file. This is to preserve your data.

Then remove Adobe 7 & all related files from your computer "BEFORE DOING THE FOLLOWING." You can get the instructions & file list from Adobe.com. This step is mandatory, as far as I can tell.

You now need a copy of you database prior to FMP 12. I got mine from Time Machine by looking at my application folders until I found a backup without FMP 12. I then restored the database to my current desktop. Converted it to FMP 12, deleted all records, then imported from the previously saved exported file.

I then verified the total records & tested a few for correctnesss.

Prints now accept "reverse page orientation" & print correctly.

This was an Adobe mixup when they quit supporting the Apple printing system. A Heads up would have saved me many days of hassle.

There may be another way to achieve this, but I haven't found it & no one else has come up with a cure.