7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2012 8:05 PM by CarstenLevin

Can I build this Filemaker solution on my own? image map attached

I own a small pet sitting business and want a software solution that will tie together client/pet profiles, appointment scheduling and email. Attached is a map of what I want to accomplish (you can also view the file at: http://db.tt/jPO6w7U3).

Is this a project that a layperson can handle? I built the client profile using Bento, and the mileage and gas logs are easy enough. But some of the features, like the scheduling, are beyond my abilities.

Does anyone know of a template that would allow me to create an interface like the "Schedule New Job" screen to book multiple pet sitting visits per day, over a number of days? Is it possible to auto-generate confirmation emails? Is it difficult to get emails and calendar events to automatically sync up with the client profile?

Thanks in advance for your input.

• 1. Re: Can I build this Filemaker solution on my own? [image map attached]
          techt

You could certainly build it in FMP. But since you already have all of this in Bento, why not leverage the integration Bento offers into iCal to create and manage the schedule, then present it in Bento?

FMP will certainly give you much greater control and capabilities. There are a number of calendars already pre-built in FMP to use in a home-grown solution. Seedcode is very popular and the Reactor calendar is nice to work with as well.

HTH,

Tim

• 2. Re: Can I build this Filemaker solution on my own? [image map attached]
            ibrahim_bittar

Hi Sheila

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but I believe it's worth looking:

http://www.vetfm.com/closer_look.html

Saludos

Ibrahim Bittar Torres

Director General

Eikonsys, S.A. de C.V.

FileMaker 10 Certified Developer

http://www.eikonsys.com

FileMaker Business Alliance

• 3. Re: Can I build this Filemaker solution on my own? [image map attached]
              CarstenLevin

Do you need more than one user at the same time?

So you need to let your pet-owners see their schedule via www?

• 4. Re: Can I build this Filemaker solution on my own? [image map attached]

Thanks so much for the replies thus far!

techt: I haven't really done much in Bento. I downloaded the trial version a few days ago and did the client profile layout to get an idea what I wanted. One of my main goals is to find a better way to schedule recurring pet sitting visits. For instance, with iCal, if I am sitting for a client three times per day for a week, I have to create a recurring morning visit, a recurring afternoon visit and a recurring evening visit. I'd like a way to consolidate that. If you know of a way to do that in Bento (or FMP), please let me know!

CarstenLevin: I'm the only sitter, so I don't need to worry about multiple users. I would like to be able to access my info via iPhone or iPad while I'm out in the field, but I don't have plans for client web access at this point.

ibrahim_bittar: Thanks so much for sharing that link. I searched and searched for FMP products for my industry and that never came up. I think it is probably out of my price range, but the screenshots gave me a lot of good ideas!

• 5. Re: Can I build this Filemaker solution on my own? [image map attached]
                  RayCologon

Sheila Smith wrote:

...Is this a project that a layperson can handle?

Hi Sheila,

I think it really depends on how you define 'layperson'.

If you mean someone who is resourceful and savvy, skilled and ready to get into some challenges, well able to wrangle a bit of code here and there, but simply not formally qualified in IT, then yes, it's doable.

On the other hand, if you mean is it something that can be achieved without having to come to grips with some jargon, technical stuff, code and a few somewhat arcane database and computing concepts, probably not - or at least not well.

So, in effect, the question is - how ready are you to ramp up your knowledge and skill set to tackle some new areas and meet a few challenges? If you are, there's help and resources available - here and elsewhere - but only you can decide what level of challenge or difficulty is 'too much' for you.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 6. Re: Can I build this Filemaker solution on my own? [image map attached]
                    Vaughan

Building databases is a bit like renovation your own house. It's great fun and extremely rewarding. It takes time. Sometimes it's a labour of love and it never quite gets finished.

If you need something that will work soon, get a professional to do it. Otherwise do it yourself and enjoy the ride!

• 7. Re: Can I build this Filemaker solution on my own? [image map attached]
                      CarstenLevin

CarstenLevin: I'm the only sitter, so I don't need to worry about multiple users. I would like to be able to access my info via iPhone or iPad while I'm out in the field, but I don't have plans for client web access at this point.

The answer is definetely yes, and I am sure that after a lot of work, and may I suggest also reading a book or two and some iterations, doing pilot projects, you will for sure be able to build this little system.

I had a look at your diagramme, and it shows that you are having a good ability to describe your goals. For most "non-experienced" database developers, this is often the weakest point. Make the description first, make sure that this is really what you want. And then work towards delivering this goal.

Before starting I would strongly suggest that you read about and consider:

• The Anchor Bouy model here
                      • Regarding scripting, use the first 5 minutes with this little frindly description and then have a look at this or have a look at some of the videos here
                      • But ... first try the FileMaker Pro 11 tutorial. If you do not have FileMaker, then download the full demo - the only limitation is that it can only be used for 30 days. The manual and the tutorial is included.

Best regards

Carsten