10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2012 3:36 PM by AlanStirling

Relating Additional Field for Adding on Subsets

listen2earth

Dear Community,

Thank You Much For Previous Resolutions.

Opposition again:

Got Two Tables.

One simple Relation: Global_01 gets Numbers_01.

Now i want:

Global_02 to get Numbers_02

In order to have Additional Subset of Records added to above

How ?

Thank You

r o b

• 1. Re: Relating Additional Field for Adding on Subsets
          LyndsayHowarth

Hi Rob,

Can you put this in context for us... the real-world description of the problem.

What do the 2 tables represent? What are their names? What kind of data do they hold? etc

I assume you have a Global Table and a Numbers table and you have already matched

Global::Global_01 = Numbers::Numbers_01

For various reasons, it may be that you would have been better to have left the Numbers Table instance on it's own and instead created another instance called "Numbers by 01". Then you could have

Global::Global_01 = Numbers by 01::Numbers_01

Then you could create another instance (just duplicate the first one) callled "Numbers by 02"... Then you could have

Global::Global_02 = Numbers by 02::Numbers_02

There are some excellent white papers you should read regarding relationship modeling.

- Lyndsay

listen2earth wrote:

Got Two Tables.

One simple Relation:  Global_01 gets Numbers_01.

Now i want:

Global_02  to get Numbers_02

In order to have  Additional Subset of Records added to above

Message was edited by: Lyndsay Howarth BTW... this is NOT an Advanced Discussion. Nothing you have posted to date should be filed under Advanced Discussion. This should have been posted in the Relationships and Portals forum.

• 2. Re: Relating Additional Field for Adding on Subsets
            listen2earth

Thankyou

A very very simply structure !!

Got Two Tables.

One simple Relation:  Global_01 gets Numbers_01 into my portal.

WHY? Cause Some records i work with a lot, are marked with unique numbers.

Now i want:

Global_02  to get Numbers_02

WHY? For another classification of Records i work with a lot.

Now i want to be able to just use just Global_01 getting records from Numbers_01

OR be able to get just records from just Global_02 getting records from Numbers_02

OR be able to get have both at same time !!!

my 1st Relationship works of course but when i add the 2nd fields the relationship says AND inbetween

the two sets of fields. But i believe i want OR, for what i discripted   above. Maybe this type relationship requires

calculation relationship and i have not got into that yet.

i just thought all of this was something very very very simple and so i not wanted to bury myself into many web sites reading over

numerous documentations JUST FOR SOMETHING SO VERY SIMPLE !!! Sorry to bother you!!!

Still lost with this !!

r o b

• 3. Re: Relating Additional Field for Adding on Subsets
              LyndsayHowarth

I can only guess as what kind of data you are storing and manipulating... but I hope this answers your basic question. It is a quick mockup of what I described earlier.

- Lyndsay

• 4. Re: Relating Additional Field for Adding on Subsets
                LyndsayHowarth

of course you can use text in place of the numbers... and change the fields accordingly.

This is where it is really useful to understand the bigger plan.... whereas I took you literally.

- Lyndsay

• 5. Re: Relating Additional Field for Adding on Subsets
                  listen2earth

Lyndsay,

T H A N K S

Well, you came pretty close to it so i revised it for more what i got going.

i tore it apart a bit and got it to the place where my problem is ...

trying to get number2 global to bring up additional portal records.

ps  i could not find any way to attach a file through the forum how do you do that ?so i did it through email this time. All this Forum stuff is new to me!!!

r o b

• 6. Re: Relating Additional Field for Adding on Subsets
                    LyndsayHowarth

Hi Rob,

To attach a file via the web, you have to click the "Advanced Editor" button...

I have attached an update to your file.... that may not be exactly what you want to do but shows some ideas...

I note that you detached the valuelists I had assigned to the fields... I wanted to make sure you understood that these were getting the values available in the associated data table from those fields with matching names... then also showing the values from the text field alongside...

I have rejigged your relationships again to make both tables show in the main view.

I also added a blue circle button to the FIrst portal which puts the Second number from THAT row into the second field when clicked. This means that all records which have that same second number will show on the Second portal.

Each relationship is where you match INSTANCES of the table and it is not always a good idea to relate base-table-instance with base-table-instance... particularly when you want to relate to the same data table in many ways.

HTH

- Lyndsay

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Relating Additional Field for Adding on Subsets
                      AlanStirling

Hi Rob

I have looked through the various examples that are circulating, but none of them appear to do what you have requested.

I have attached my own demo file, with a list of products, categorised by 'Product Type', with two selectors on the Search layout, allowing you to control the items in the portal by selecting one product type in the first selector, and adding to the items in the portal when choosing another type with the second selector.

The value list on the selector adjusts to show only the type options possible, once one or two selections have been made.

Please try this out and see if it is what you are looking for.  I have dealt with the 'Or' problem by using a calculation looking at both selectors.

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK

• 8. Re: Relating Additional Field for Adding on Subsets
                        listen2earth

T H A N K   Y O U

It  does  appear  much  to  be  what  _i_am  looking  for.

Not  precisely  but  it  points  me  in  the  the  right

direction.   _i_  see  that  it  was  confusing  to  others  as  to

what  _i_  was  requesting  because  _i_  not  specified  that

my  finished  product  was   to  be  just  for  one  portal.

Yes !!!   _i_  knew  it  had  something  to  do  with  OR.

A lot  of  Fundamental  basic  concepts  for  many  different

ideas  resides  in  this  design  structure.

So  _i_am  evolving  it  for  doing  many  further

advance  features. And  as  well  other  ideas  from  other

peoples  files  sent.

r o b

architect visionary for software hardware

• 9. Re: Relating Additional Field for Adding on Subsets
                          BruceRobertson

Alan's example can even be modifed to just use a single global repeating field, with two repeats, eliminating the calc field.

• 10. Re: Relating Additional Field for Adding on Subsets
                            AlanStirling

Hi Bruce

Thanks for your suggestion - I've always wondered if individual repeating fields can each work as a key to a relationship - now I know.

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK