4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2012 11:05 PM by RayCologon

Question on cutomising drop-down menus in Filemaker Pro Advanced

pbraham

I have set up menu options in Filemaker Pro Advanced so that when I produce a stand-alone executable, the user has access to a limited range of options. However, I have a list view and the user clicks on the down-arrow on the right of the heading field, there is a menu with field type, field options etc. Is it possible to customise this menu? Aplogies if this has already been asked in the past.

• 1. Re: Question on cutomising drop-down menus in Filemaker Pro Advanced
          Vaughan

The user is logged-in wth full access privileges, they can change everything in the database. Removing commands from custom menus is NOT the same as setting up access restrictions in security.

• 2. Re: Question on cutomising drop-down menus in Filemaker Pro Advanced
            RayCologon

pbraham wrote:

I have set up menu options in Filemaker Pro Advanced so that when I produce a stand-alone executable, the user has access to a limited range of options. However, I have a list view and the user clicks on the down-arrow on the right of the heading field, there is a menu with field type, field options etc. Is it possible to customise this menu? Aplogies if this has already been asked in the past.

Hi pbraham,

The drop-down menu you're referring to isn't customizable as such, but it will only show if the user's privileges support any of the options it provides (and then only the options that are permitted under the logged-in user's privilege set will be available). So if you create a limited privilege set and set that as the default for the file (in File Options), the menu will no longer appear - except of course if/when you login with a [Full Access] account to make changes to the file.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 3. Re: Question on cutomising drop-down menus in Filemaker Pro Advanced
              pbraham

Thanks. I can see now that even though I had user menus selected, options appear when running under Filemaker that don't appear in the buit app. A bit confusing.

• 4. Re: Question on cutomising drop-down menus in Filemaker Pro Advanced
                RayCologon

pbraham wrote:

Thanks. I can see now that even though I had user menus selected, options appear when running under Filemaker that don't appear in the buit app. A bit confusing.

Hi pbraham,

As per Vaughan's comment, the appearance (or otherwise) of the options is not related to whether a custom menu is in place, but instead has to do with the level of access available in the Privilege Set for the current login account, and also with the functionality of the supporting application (ie Pro or the runtime .exe).

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com